GMU 11 Wrangell-St. Elias Moose Pop and Timing on Velvet Shedding

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,

Two pronged question for those out there familiar with Alaska GMU 11, not looking for honey holes, but want to know if the moose population is good in the Preserve section of Alaska GMU 11? GoHunt describes hunter numbers as high, but in the Preserve we are still talking about millions of square acres, so can I assume that is a relative statistic? Hoping to go in on an OTC tag. Also curious when moose will shed velvet in central Alaska? May go in for opening day on August 20, but would hold off if it's not until September, which is what a google search seems to be saying. Will also look for any general advice about habitat to target, hoping to hunting open alpine instead of river bottoms.

OP
Ultraheight

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks @FairbanksFlies, I am increasingly seeing that while checking out maps. Currently trying to figure out what the bush plane laws/access is like in the areas I'm looking at. The lower elevation wooded stuff looks tough/impossible to hunt in too. Do you think moose be high in the scrub/alpine? EG 3,8000 ft?

rope

FNG
Access is the issue. They can be at that altitude, were last year. Be mindful of how far you have to pack to get to the strip. Lake and a float plane.

Looking to hunt zone 11 next year. Anyone have into on the moose population this year?