Gmu 14 or 214 archery elk in Colorado

Planning on bow hunting elk in one of these two areas in September. We plan on going out this summer and do some scouting. Any help on trailheads or general areas to check out would be greatly appreciated.

Look for a unit that would be draw that you can draw with 0 points. The number of locals that hunt this before work, after work, or because it is close is dumbfounding.

161, 16, or 17 would be easier, closer, and much less crowded.

You're probably going to get a lot of hate messages and snide comments.

Since I'm bored, I will be helpful.

Get OnX, use Google Earth. Purchase the services of GoHunt for further info into the units you are interested in. Watch Randy Newberg's Elk Hunting videos and tutorials. Look at success rates and harvest information on the CPW website.

Compile all of that useful data, do some e-scouting, narrow down points of interest a.k.a "elky areas" and go scout this summer.

chasewild

WKR

Same guy?

ahatclif

FNG
My very first post was very similar. Luckily everyone must have been busy and didn't hammer me very hard. I have only hunted elk for 3 years and I haven't killed shit so all i can do lurk and laugh at these posts as they come around every year.

Sorry to the new guy but so far you have gotten off light compared to some others.

My only contribution is to echo cnelk and say that 16 & 161 are not places to go to escape the crowds.

OP
K
Thanks for the information. This will be my 10 year of elk hunting. Have hunted mostly gmu 35 and also down in southern Colorado just wanting to try someplace different.

If you take what you've learned from your 10 years of Elk hunting other areas of Colorado and apply it to a new area you'll be ok.

OP
K

Same guy?
No not the same guy.