GMU 45 Elk Hunt

Headed to GMU 45 for the last 2 weeks of September for an archery elk hunt and was wondering if anyone had any insight on the area, Holy Cross Wilderness in particular? We are packing horses for a drop camp to hopefully get deep and away from hunters, hikers, ect. Going with 2 others and we have done 2 other Idaho elk hunts together so we are not afraid of hiking. Any idea on how the elk act this time of year? We will be overlapping seasons with muzzleloader so is there a change in rut patterns even if we are a ways back there? Are the elk abnormally vocal that time? A lot of hunters in that area? Was hoping to get in on the north side.......good idea or no? Not trying to get hunting spots from anyone, just trying to make sure I pack an elk out and I didn't buy a $600 out of state tag for a hiking trip...anything helps!

cnelk

WKR
Better read the regs my friend.
Those units are draw, and bull only.

The application period ended last Tuesday 8pm MDT.

loopmtz

Lil-Rokslider
I used to hunt that unit a lot growing up when I was a rifle hunter. Since switching to Archery I have hunted it a couple times. Tough unit with lots of pressure and the area you mentioned has a lot of hikers, nature enthusiasts!

It's been an OTC unit for ever. Last year it was OTC Bull only..This year draw bull only...

OP
T
Better read the regs my friend.
Those units are draw, and bull only.

The application period ended last Tuesday 8pm MDT.
I used to hunt that unit a lot growing up when I was a rifle hunter. Since switching to Archery I have hunted it a couple times. Tough unit with lots of pressure and the area you mentioned has a lot of hikers, nature enthusiasts!

It's been an OTC unit for ever. Last year it was OTC Bull only..This year draw bull only...
Thank you for the detailed insight! Thought it was still OTC but guess not. Might just be going back to Idaho.

lipripr

FNG
No problem my friend and I have hunted 45 the last 5 years only pulled one nice 6x6 off the mountain 5 years ago. It’s very steep with lots of dark timber. We’re switching units this year.