GMU 6 area, First rifle season

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,

I've been mostly hunting High Sierra Mule deer out here in California, but a buddy of mine moved to Colorado a few years ago and has been asking me to put in for a tag. This year I drew a 1st rifle, either sex Elk tag in GMU 6, which also allows me to hunt 16,17,161 and 171. I've been using the search function and trying to learn as much as I can about both Elk and that region of Colorado.

Saw a few posts about how unpredictable weather can be and read about lower success rates in that area. For anyone who has been through there, are those success rates more so due to people hunting close to their campground and not putting in the miles to get deeper into the woods or are there just lower numbers in those zones? From OnX it looks like there are some good timber areas and potential migratory patters, so I'm hoping that the either sex tag puts us in position to at least fill the freezer.

That time of year, if it's colder or even snowy, will the elk head to lower elevation or still hold at 7500' (or so and up) waiting for it to get later in the season before dropping down? Also if it stays warmer is it realistic to find Elk in the 7500-9000' range or am I way off?

Was also wondering about the terrain out there, would you all recommend a sturdier boot or could I run some approach boots and stay a little more agile?

Thank you in advance for any help and insights...please feel free to DM me if you'd rather not share info on the public forum.

Last edited:
OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
as a follow up question...I have a Badlands 2200, with the fold away meat shelf...What do you guys think about that pack for a 1st season Colorado Elk hunt. Probably going with a spike camp set up. Is that going to be enough bag or should I look at going bigger for that trip? The buddy I'm going with has pro deals with Mystery Ranch, so I was thinking Metcalf or even Marshall if I needed to upgrade.

cnelk

WKR
Here’s a pic of the Rawahs in unit 6 a couple weeks ago.
Beetle kill and plenty of private for the elk to run to once the pressure starts.

3C72C693-FE6D-4191-90A5-49DA09BDB6D2.jpeg2286B238-EB9F-4C49-BD0C-542B96280532.jpeg 6 a couple

Last edited:
OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
IMO a 2200 bag is not enough. Last year I had -13 degrees one morning of 1st season. I was nice and toasty in my wall tent with a -33 degree bag.

Appreciate the info, although I'm a little confused...the 2200 is a backpack not a sleeping bag.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a pic of the Rawahs in unit

View attachment 104727View attachment 104728 6 a couple weeks ago.
Beetle kill and plenty of private for the elk to run to once the pressure starts.
Looks gorgeous...since we can't get out on private, I should be looking for timber patches w/o beetle kill, below the snowline...will Elk use saddles to move around, like Mule deer will?

cnelk

WKR
When you get into spruce elevations is when you leave the beetle kill. Pretty much all the mature lodgepole is dead.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to explain that the 2200 doesn’t have enough room to spike camp out of in that type of weather.

yeah, I like to go ultralight, but with the threat of weather, I'm getting a sense that it's just not enough bag for the trip. Looking at MR, SG and ALPS...any input on those?

I have a Kifaru frame. I use a bag that is 5000 cubic inches. I still use it for day hikes. It straps down nicely and I can backpack with it. SG, MR, and Exo are all packs that my buddies have used an enjoyed.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
You are absolutely right...was typing to fast and didn't catch that...just edited it. Thank you
Just didn’t want to see ya get in trouble seen some guys outta Tennessee get in trouble for that very thing couple years back. As far as the pack goes I’d tend to agree with the others but I tend to go to far the other direction, I can fit all my gear and a boned out cow in my Kifaru.

I’ve used a Badlands 2200 for spike trips into mid November. Temps down into the teens. It’s somewhat tight but doable.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kifaru frame. I use a bag that is 5000 cubic inches. I still use it for day hikes. It straps down nicely and I can backpack with it. SG, MR, and Exo are all packs that my buddies have used an enjoyed.

I see a lot of Kifaru packs for sale in the classifieds, I'll do some digging, thanks.

The buddy I'm going with has pro deals with Mystery Ranch, so I was thinking Metcalf or even Marshall if I needed to upgrade.

I see a lot of Kifaru packs for sale in the classifieds, I'll do some digging, thanks.

Kifaru packs are fantastic; I own one as does my brother. But Mystery Ranch makes great packs too; my best friend and wife both have one. If that pro deal is pretty good I would look at a Metcalf or a Beartooth 80.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru packs are fantastic; I own one as does my brother. But Mystery Ranch makes great packs too; my best friend and wife both have one. If that pro deal is pretty good I would look at a Metcalf or a Beartooth 80.

Really appreciate the advice...I've just started researching the Beartooth.