GMU 6 area, First rifle season

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know what the favored type of forage is that time of year (mid-oct) in the northern zones? And is it different for bulls and cows?

cnelk

WKR
Does anyone know what the favored type of forage is that time of year (mid-oct) in the northern zones? And is it different for bulls and cows?

Hay meadows on private land - Seriously

By that time, there will hundreds of elk already migrated to the 'Duck Farm' otherwise known as the Arapahoe Wildlife Refuge

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Hay meadows on private land - Seriously

By that time, there will hundreds of elk already migrated to the 'Duck Farm' otherwise known as the Arapahoe Wildlife Refuge

I figured as much, no doubt the more mature bulls will be smart enough to head over to private land. Sounds like I will need to hope for a younger bull or cow that has not yet made their way to private land.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard it's worth picking up a bear tag, for this area. Any opinions on this. I usually pick one up for Cali Mule deer in the high sierras.

We've had successful hunts in the second rifle season in that area over the past several years. Last season we took a bull and I missed a cow at over 10,000'. And there were 2 other bulls shot within a quarter mile of our camp. All within about a 3 day period! The previous season we were in elk almost daily in the second rifle season, up high on public. I have no doubt that elk migrate down from pressure but the mountains are never void of elk in the fall and early winter. They aren't always easy to find but they are there. Don't waste any daylight hours doing anything other than looking for elk. You'll find em.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
We've had successful hunts in the second rifle season in that area over the past several years. Last season we took a bull and I missed a cow at over 10,000'. And there were 2 other bulls shot within a quarter mile of our camp. All within about a 3 day period! The previous season we were in elk almost daily in the second rifle season, up high on public. I have no doubt that elk migrate down from pressure but the mountains are never void of elk in the fall and early winter. They aren't always easy to find but they are there. Don't waste any daylight hours doing anything other than looking for elk. You'll find em.

That's exciting to hear...so much of this hike will depend on weather, so we will know more as we get closer.