GMU 80,81 Colorado Elk Archery 2022

Hnthrdr

WKR
3 barrels in Del norte is great 👍 good pizza and beer, last year ate pizza and beer hiked in killed a raghorn the next morning packed out ate some more pizza and beer and headed home it’s that easy ;)

Chadrive

FNG
Heading to 81 Oct 29th. For rifle. Should I bring a utv or can I get by with my stock silverado z71 4x4 pickup. I realize I'll be hiking tons of miles by foot once I get out.

Gerbdog

WKR
Heading to 81 Oct 29th. For rifle. Should I bring a utv or can I get by with my stock silverado z71 4x4 pickup. I realize I'll be hiking tons of miles by foot once I get out.
Trucks fine, if you have a good idea of what to expect from mountain roads and come prepared with chains and something to pull your arse out if we get weather for some reason. There are a few roads where the UTV could help but i dont think its necessary ..... Just one dude who puts his truck through crap talking though. Everyones comfort level on mountain roads is different.

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
To not see 50 vehicles at the trailhead on opening weekend put a peace in my heart like no other. It was actually barrable this year.

Gerbdog

WKR
Hopefully I’m one of them !!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a couple buddies that are getting into archery that i had them put in for tags down there, we'll see if they draw or not. I have my points being gambled on a different unit this year.... fingers crossed for some luck

I have a couple buddies that are getting into archery that i had them put in for tags down there, we'll see if they draw or not. I have my points being gambled on a different unit this year.... fingers crossed for some luck

Good luck on your draw!

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering if anyone is gonna be around this area opening archery elk day?? 2023
No need to wonder. 100% fact you will see a crowd. Even though it was great not seeing 50 vehicles at the trailheads opening week, I still ran into a several camps going up to my 1st mule deer spot. Glad the unit is draw only for archery now. GL if you draw. I've burned 2 of my points to this unit. I drew deer 1st choice and elk 2nd choice last season. This year I bought a point for deer and burned them for elk. Gl to you.

No need to wonder. 100% fact you will see a crowd. Even though it was great not seeing 50 vehicles at the trailheads opening week, I still ran into a several camps going up to my 1st mule deer spot. Glad the unit is draw only for archery now. GL if you draw. I've burned 2 of my points to this unit. I drew deer 1st choice and elk 2nd choice last season. This year I bought a point for deer and burned them for elk. Gl to you.

I’m sorry I’m from Michigan and still getting my whits about me but do you mean opening week last year? Or something more recent

TheHammer

WKR
I’m sorry I’m from Michigan and still getting my whits about me but do you mean opening week last year? Or something more recent

2022 was the first year of draw for that unit. What he is referring to is how nice it was that there were far less people, everywhere. But there are still going to be a lot of people in the easy access areas.

Just a heads up for those going down there. There are 0 gas stations between Salida and Saguache so fill up there. I learned that the hard way last weekend thinking Villa Grove had gas and they dont.