Go back to same area as year prior if successful?

cgasner1

WKR
Elk and people are both creatures of habit. They do the same thing and react to pressure the same way every year for the most part. Since you sound like your hunting a otc unit as a non resident that means anyone can which also means same guy rides up the same trail with the same bugling pressuring those elk with that pressure they go to the same spot with any luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JNDEER

WKR
Limited non-res experience.

New spot we had 3 hunters and killed one and missed one.
2 years later go back to same spot and find no elk in the immediate “day hunt” area of the successful spot. Was able to locate other elk in the area - park hike day hunt type stuff- but it was not in the immediate area we had success a few years ago

ElkNut1

WKR
Good chance someone beat you in there or the elk hadn't showed up yet! Elk can relocate from area to area every couple of weeks or so unless pushed out!

ElkNut

bozeman

WKR
went in blind 2 seasons ago and killed a bull. Saw so much sign from years of use we returned following season and killed a bull in first 10 min of light 300 yards from the bull prior season. We will be back this year
Not asking for coordinates, BUT could you point in a certain direction.....not looking for honey holes or anything. lol

We’ve got an area we call the graveyard. We kill 2-3 elk in the same 200 yard area every single year

Elkhntr08

WKR
Killed 7 P&Y bucks out of the same tree. Guess you could say I’m a creature of habit.
Like knowing an area like my backyard.

dany4585

FNG
Can you do two hunts? One in the spot you know, and one in a new spot? Reminds me of fishing - yes, love the honey holes. But I enjoy even more finding new places that produce and ultimately become honey holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I used to kill bucks every year out of the same tree in PA on State Game lands. Became so legendary the state cut the tree down and put a fence around the area for a "scientific study".

Huntin_GI

WKR
I struggle with this. Killed a bull this year in CO. Trying to draw a NM archery tag and hoping for a new adventure. If I fail to draw NM (chances are I will not draw), then I am contemplating a new area but have the spot I killed in my pocket. I've only been in CO a few years but have made attempts to explore as much as possible. Not to mention, I dumped multiple multi-day scouting trips into an area last year that was closed by fires SOOOO I had a good handle on what was going on in that area but ended up hunting in a completely different area. My thought process is get enough experience on different types of area, both good and bad. Then narrow down the type of hunt you want to have based off those experiences. Alot of my scouting has eliminated more ground than it has netted me but, when ever life throws you a curve ball and you have to pivot, you have options.

Will this lend itself maximizing elk early in a western hunting career? No. Do I think I am more prepared than the guy with 1 or 2 spots? Yes. Do I know were multiple herds summer, bed, migrate, and winter? Yes.

If you simply hunt the same spot year after year, are you expanding your hunting skill set? Maybe, maybe not.

In conclusion, I have no idea. I move around a lot and have started finding elk consistently enough to keep me entertained.

ChrisAU

WKR
went in blind 2 seasons ago and killed a bull. Saw so much sign from years of use we returned following season and killed a bull in first 10 min of light 300 yards from the bull prior season. We will be back this year

Oddly similar to me and my buddy's.

I had never seen an elk in the wild in about 12 days of hunting until on the final day of 1st rifle in 2019 I killed the bull in my avatar.

Then, last year, me and same buddy, this time his tag, go back to same spot on opening day of first rifle. He was sitting where I was and killed his about 500 yards to the right of where I killed mine right at first light.

Special place for us for sure!

Good chance someone beat you in there or the elk hadn't showed up yet! Elk can relocate from area to area every couple of weeks or so unless pushed out!

ElkNut

I think this can happen all too often. I've been in the meatball one year, multiple bulls working multiple harems, and then gone back to the same area on the same dates the following year and it was completely dead. We wasted 3 days waiting for the elk to show up. Finally relocated and nearly doubled up the next day.

I think go back, check it out, and be ready to beat feat if they're not in there.

I think this can happen all too often. I've been in the meatball one year, multiple bulls working multiple harems, and then gone back to the same area on the same dates the following year and it was completely dead. We wasted 3 days waiting for the elk to show up. Finally relocated and nearly doubled up the next day.

I think go back, check it out, and be ready to beat feat if they're not in there.
That's how I got my herd bull as well. They move from area to area but generally the same old areas, just have to find which area they're moving around in at that time

Fullfan

WKR
You bet. Have a place several of the guys call the garden of Eden, I refer to it as the slaughterhouse. 8 bulls in 3 years.