Go Deep Boys. Go Deep

Love going in and finding new digs. A couple areas I've hunted and scouted the last couple years will put me off the beaten path yet again. But it's kind of a 2 prong approach. Hunting after work and on weekends means staying close or relatively close. Once I'm off for 9 straight days, anything's possible. I am prepared to hunt close, a little ways out and a little further out. Going deep is an adventure for sure.

I don't have any friends. So, I have to be in really good shape to hunt as far in as I like.

But I've drank wayyyy more beer than usual this year and I still don't have any friends. I'll probably work on my <2miles from the road spot this year. I'm probably not in good enough shape to lug meat out of that spot either, so maybe I'll see if I can get lucky in my 1/4mile from the road spot again. I'm probably not a good enough elk hunter to get in there when they're actually there and get a shot at one again. The first was probably just luck.

So my game plan is.... MTN ops?

There are certain OTC units in Colorado that average 2 hunters per 3 square miles of total unit for a given season. If you cut the unit in half, which most people generally hunt, then there is a legitimately an armed group of backwoods warriors who could rival most armies of third world countries...

So yes, I have seen these armies blow herds of elk out of the unit all together or onto private. Don't get me started on the wannabe Corey Jacobsens buggling who think they know everything about calling because they learned it during the past offseason on Youtube and feel the need to bugle every five steps they take...

I take the approach of not bugling because I suck. After I blow them out the first day with my tube, I educate myself with the elknut app while I wait for area to cool off. Then I come to my senses and don't pull it out again. It's worked well so far haha

There is a avalanche chute off the highway around here that has a herd of elk out in it every evening between Sept and Nov. like clock work, the elk bed near the treeline with a 1,000 feet of open country above them and thermals rising from the timber. Once the thermals shift, they move 500-600 years out into the alpine and stay there overnight. I can only imagine how many stalks are attempted and hearts are broken by this arrangement. Unless someone has 600-800 yard shooting skills, you just don’t stand a chance, yet they are clearly visible on a daily basis from at least 3 alpine trails, the highway below and multiple other high points in the area. I’ve even seen IG posts where people post a spotting scope pic with “I found the elk!” and I just laugh. This herd probably saves 100s of other elk and has likely caused a few wrecks, too.
There is more then one spot like this going north out of town on that highway and we've killed elk in all of them

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425