Go Hunt opinions

Fitzwho

WKR
The data they use is from the previous year, they don’t claim to predict odds for the current year.

I have been a member for 4 years, I apply in 10-12 states per year. I find it handy for a one-stop shop for figuring out where I want to apply.

If I was only applying in one or two states, I wouldn’t mess with it.

mlgc20

WKR
I’ve had Go Hunt for a couple of years. If you see something odd, I would suggest reaching out to them and asking them. They are very responsive. I do advanced analytics for a living. And I have had a few questions myself. Usually the answer has been because of the complexities of how the different draws are conducted. Whether Go Hunt is worth the fee is a judgment call for each of us. But, I don’t worry about the quality of their data or their analytical methodologies.

The data they use is from the previous year, they don’t claim to predict odds for the current year.

I have been a member for 4 years, I apply in 10-12 states per year. I find it handy for a one-stop shop for figuring out where I want to apply.

If I was only applying in one or two states, I wouldn’t mess with it.

I feel the same way. It helps me cut some corners and ultimately helps me think of the long term plan. There seem to be quite a few people on this forum who really get after it and store/research all of their data on their own and do a better job than gohunt. For me its easy and keeps everything in one place. If you're applying all over its great. If not, I wouldnt bother

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve found it incredibly helpful overall. It’s nice to be able to look at like info about different states in the same place and in the same general format. The ability to look at draw odds of multiple units in one view is excellent for example. You can grind out a lot of this data without it but it’s pretty freakin nice. I definitely have to go take a closer look at harvest data or something once in awhile but it’s organized pretty well and is a good way to come up with a starting point depending on what you’re looking for

It’s already been mentioned but the odds are historical and based on the previous year. The number of applicants and permits is subject to change year to year and so real odds always vary. Understanding point creep as well as the draw process is very important

A general statement about draw odds: I’d guess the majority of frustration about draw odds is a result of a poor understanding of the draw processes in question. Usually they are complicated and sometimes poorly explained. AZ is a great example of this. Most hunters IN ARIZONA don’t understand how our draw really works partly because it’s a complicated and dynamic process many people have trouble understanding in the first place and partly because historically our Game and Fish dept has done a horrendous job explaining it. The explanation they have up currently is as good as it’s ever been I think

GoHunt can’t always fix a lack of understanding of a state’s draw system

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I don’t plan on getting it, my brother shows me a lot of info on certain units and it just doesn't always seem overly accurate. They’ll talk about a unit being tough hunting but then put the average bull as 290-310” haha

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t plan on getting it, my brother shows me a lot of info on certain units and it just doesn't always seem overly accurate. They’ll talk about a unit being tough hunting but then put the average bull as 290-310” haha

Yeah the “average quality” Info is something I pretty much ignore. Not sure what they’re inclusion criteria is for that but it doesn’t make sense intuitively, I agree. Knowing what I know about what gets shot on public hunts and what people “guess” scores to be I take little stock in what that category could possibly mean

Chad E

WKR

I'm confused as to why a unit can't be tough hunting with average bulls around 290 -310? Those two things don't seem connected to me. Go hunt has good statistics but if your buying it for the unit descriptions and size averagesI think you'll be disappointed.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I'm confused as to why a unit can't be tough hunting with average bulls around 290 -310? Those two things don't seem connected to me. Go hunt has good statistics but if your buying it for the unit descriptions and size averagesI think you'll be disappointed.

They really aren’t connected, a certain unit that I’ve been to a couple times was described as that and it seemed a little high haha. Maybe they aren’t counting raghorns and only including mature bulls.
Just not sure on how they get the averages

My opinion is that GoHunt does a good job of compiling the statistical data that each state provides. The descriptions of units and such are pretty much generic copy and paste stuff.

"Good rut hunt for bulls, hike the ridges and spot and stalk or bugle" or whatever it says shows up repeatedly.

WKR

WKR
I don't use them. I feel like I can get most of the information and statistics I need from my own research. But if I was to be applying in more than 4 states I would consider paying the $150/year for someone else to do it for me.

Chad E

WKR
They really aren’t connected, a certain unit that I’ve been to a couple times was described as that and it seemed a little high haha. Maybe they aren’t counting raghorns and only including mature bulls.
Just not sure on how they get the averages
Gotcha I agree with your assessment of the averages just wasn't sure how you were coralating that with hunt difficulty.