Go Lite Shangri-La 5

IAHNTR

WKR
Does anyone have any information/thoughts/recommendations about this tent system? I like the idea of being able to add the floor or nest (floor with bug screen). Don't think the wife would sleep in it with out the nest installed. Just trying to find a good light weight tent/tipi that I could use for more occasions than just hunting. The 5 should be big enough for 2 people, gear and a possible future stove (would have to add a stove jack from Ti Goat).

Some specs on the tent:

Type: 5 person
Height: 73 inches
Area: 90 sq. ft | 8.4 sq. m
Main Body Weight: 29 oz. | 835 g
Pole Weight: 13 oz. | 365 g
Stake Weight: 4 oz. | 105 g

There's just not much on the forums I've visited on this tent. Thanks for the replies.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luke and I have been using the Shangr-La 5 almost exclusively for the last several years, both for backpacking/pack rafting trips and for hunting. We love this tent, its almost a palace for two people! We use a nest made by Mountain Laurel designs (I too like having a space to sleep that is bug proof and has a floor), and still have tons of space left for gear storage and sitting around in the evenings playing cards. We've been able to save some weight by leaving the center pole at home and erecting the tipi with one and a half trekking poles (remove the lower portion of one, and stab the other into it..works like a charm), which we would be bringing along anyway. We don't currently have a stove jack set up in ours, though I know that people have done it..it would eat into your extra floor space some, but is probably doable. With the nest it sleeps two comfortably, and without the nest it will sleep three average sized guys with gear (so maybe four people max if they are small and don't mind being cozy). We added line to all the guyout points and bring along enough stakes to stake it out completely, it seems to shed wind well up to the approx 35 mph winds we've had it in.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple pictures of ours in action on a 10 day hiking and rafting trip through the Talkeetna mountains:
SANY0764.jpg

if you look closely you can see the trekking pole
SANY0786.jpg

Last edited:
OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
Luke and I have been using the Shangr-La 5 almost exclusively for the last several years, both for backpacking/pack rafting trips and for hunting. We love this tent, its almost a palace for two people! We use a nest made by Mountain Laurel designs (I too like having a space to sleep that is bug proof and has a floor), and still have tons of space left for gear storage and sitting around in the evenings playing cards. We've been able to save some weight by leaving the center pole at home and erecting the tipi with one and a half trekking poles (remove the lower portion of one, and stab the other into it..works like a charm), which we would be bringing along anyway. We don't currently have a stove jack set up in ours, though I know that people have done it..it would eat into your extra floor space some, but is probably doable. With the nest it sleeps two comfortably, and without the nest it will sleep three average sized guys with gear (so maybe four people max if they are small and don't mind being cozy). We added line to all the guyout points and bring along enough stakes to stake it out completely, it seems to shed wind well up to the approx 35 mph winds we've had it in.

Thanks for the information Becca. That's exactly what I've been looking for.

Jimbob

WKR
I have a hex three and the design is great. Hunting in the fall and spring trips i just use the shell, no bugs to worry about. Come summer I use the nest on canoe and hiking trips.

Now that my family is getting bigger I would love a bigger size as well.

I have been really really happy with my golite tarp and nest. Very versatile and covered all my shelter needs for the last 3 yrs.

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
I'm just getting into this type of technical gear a don't really know what companies are reputable yet. Is Go Lite a legit company for this kind of purchase?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm just getting into this type of technical gear a don't really know what companies are reputable yet. Is Go Lite a legit company for this kind of purchase?

My 50 nights in just the SL-5 alone during a couple hunting seasons here in Alaska sure seem to think they are legit. :D

IAHUNTER,

I bought the SL-5 with the nest (third picture) and the bucket floor a couple of years ago and I really like it.

Keep in mind that the nest (first picture) has one corner of the floor cut off at the entrance which gives you a place to put wet/dirty stuff at the entrance to the tent (third picture), but that also cuts down on some of the floor space inside of the nest. When I was first looking at the SL-5 I thought that it was a five sided tent based on the shape of the nest. I didn't realize at first that the nest had that corner cut off of it.

Even with that reduction my son (6') and I (5'10") were able to get our sleeping bags and packs inside with no problem and we also had a nice amount of floor space in the middle between us. Like Becca said, a stove would take up half of that middle space. The bucket floor (second picture) on the other hand is also square like the shelter/flysheet/tarp part of the tent so you don't loose any space.

Larry

Attachments

• Shangri-La_5_Nest_Grease.jpg
    Shangri-La_5_Nest_Grease.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 44
  • ShangriLa_5_Floor_Grease.jpg
    ShangriLa_5_Floor_Grease.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Shangri-La_5_Flysheet_Bamboo.jpg
    Shangri-La_5_Flysheet_Bamboo.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 46
As to the question of is GoLite, and the SL-5, a good company, here is the URL to the bivy giveaway thread that has some pix of an SL-5 in some rugged conditions on the second page: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?169-Kifaru-Paratarp-Giveaway!/page2.

BTW, GoLite is one of the better known and respected mountaineering/technical gear companies out there, and a number of mountain hunters use their gear.

Larry

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys/gals. I just didn't know. I have been looking at some of the other companies (like Kifaru) and I like the Go Lite due to Price/Weight/Nest/Floor availability. I could see using this purchase a lot more with the addition of the nest. Thanks for the help. This site is around a week old and it is already AWESOME!!

B

bearguide

do you ever want a little bigger size for you and becca or do you like the size you have

I will have a bit more experience with the Shangri-La 3 by the end of the year, but so far it has been a good tent.
Mostly have used them at established camping sites with a group of Royal Rangers. Those kids can put a beating on gear for sure.

GoLite has been making quality products for a while now, they are definitely legit.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
do you ever want a little bigger size for you and becca or do you like the size you have

After being confined to tents half the size that weigh 3 times more, we find the 90 sq ft plenty. At 9.5'X9.5' the foot print is still small enough to find a roll in most mountain sides to set up on whereas going much bigger you'll start minimizing where you can set up your tipi on. When you consider most conveintional tents are only 30-40 sq ft with 20 sq ft or so of vestibule space, I don't think you'd need more more than 90 sq ft total for strictly backpacking hunts. For base camp shelters sure, in fact I ordered a Kifaru 12 man, but I won't be lugging that thing very far for the most part.

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
I know this thread asked about the SL 5 but I thought I'd throw this out there- Been using the Shangri La 3 for three years now and it has performed flawlessly agianst wind, rain, and sleet. While there is plenty of space for two people, you have to leave your pack outdoors. This is no issue really as I cover my pack with a rain cover and set it down with the shoulder straps facing down. I usually try to set it on a couple of logs or rocks to keep it off the wet ground. Another note is that each person carries his own "mini" ground cloth large enough for his/her own space.

Downside but not a show-stopper: you have to be able to stake it out

bbrown

WKR
Luke/Becca - who makes that nest? Also do you know the dimensions?
I have the Oware 9x9 tent and have been searching for something just like that but coming up empty.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luke/Becca - who makes that nest? Also do you know the dimensions?
I have the Oware 9x9 tent and have been searching for something just like that but coming up empty.
We use a pyramid innernet duomid by Mountain Laurel Designs, which weighs in at 13 oz. Although not designed to go inside the ShangriLa 5 per se, it fits perfectly and needs only 4 stakes (we tie the top of the nest to the peak of the tipi with para cord). Nothing nicer than waking up from an awesome nights sleep, and realizing the outside of your nest is covered in Mosquitos and you didn't get a single bite :)
The specs from their website:
Duo innernet
13oz
Long = 90"
Wide = 50"
Tall = 46"

Will fit two people. If either person is over 6' or uses a long bag, better to lie head to foot for more for room. If either person is over 6"3 or wide - it will be tight.
."

We are both significantly shorter than that (5'3 and 5'9 respectively), and so we have quite a bit of extra space in the nest both to move around and also have some room for clothing or extra gear.

Last edited: