GO Lite SL1 vs Big Agnes Fly Creek 1

millsms

FNG
I'm am looking at purchasing a solo tent for this summer and at $140 (Go L 1) its not a bad deal. I like the versatility of this tent. Anyone have experience with this tent? suppose to weight 2Lb 3 oz but a few have stated its usually comes in more like 2LB 8 oz. THe FLy Creek runs $300 plus.
I've considered the Hilleberg Akto and Para tarp by Kifaru but if possible want to save a few bucks. I already have a Hilleberg 3 person tent so looking for a solo tent.

stephen b

WKR
My suggestion would be the Golite SL 3 for solo use. But I would just order the whole set up from Golite and ditch the SL3 nest ( sell it) and keep the fly. Because the whole set up with the GL nest is pretty heavy. And/ or could keep the SL3 nest for sometime use with wife/ girlfriend ( or I don't know- maybe even favorite dude- never know these days ;^)

For only a little more coin, it is a better structure than the SL1

Then I would use a bivy or a small bivy net if needed inside the SL3 fly for solo and IMO would be a better solo shelter ( and can handle tough weather)- with A LOT more room than the SL 1.

The Fly only for the SL3 comes in at 1.5 pounds. And you can use a branch, trekking poles or even hang the top from a branch.

OP
millsms

millsms

FNG
Thanks i'll check out Ebay....I've looked at teh SL3 but yeah the weight was alot more with everything. The find a site comparing alot of solo tents that has helped. I've looked at Tarptent in the past and cost on some of theres if pretty good. Anyone tried a Tarptent--more specifically the Moment or sublite?

TJ

WKR
I had the BA Fly Creek UL1 and sold it last year. I did not like the front entry at all.
I also thought the vestibule was too small to do anything but keep the rain off your head.
The Fly Creek was well made and weighed as advertised.

I guess going from a Hubba Hubba to the UL1 was too much of a shock.
I like the Hubba Hubba but choose to leave it at home when weight is premium.

Anyhow, I ended up with a Tarptent Moment. It has SO MUCH more room than the UL1, its lighter, easier to set up.
Very happy with the TT Moment.

I must admit though if it wasn't for mosquitos in the areas I hunt I would go with a Para tarp in a heartbeat.

stephen b

WKR
Some of the Integral Design tarps are worth looking at as well.

+1

I have used a couple of them- great well made Sil tarps.

My favorite that I have and used to years is the "George Tarp"- it was discontinued by ID because that did not sell that many I do not think. It was based on a classic old bushcraft Pyramid design from early in the 20th century. The George tarp was the structure that was used by Seek Outside to develop their new Back Country Shelter (BCS). It was basically almost copied exactly from the ID GT model and only a few mods added.

OP
millsms

millsms

FNG
I had the BA Fly Creek UL1 and sold it last year. I did not like the front entry at all.
I also thought the vestibule was too small to do anything but keep the rain off your head.
The Fly Creek was well made and weighed as advertised.

I guess going from a Hubba Hubba to the UL1 was too much of a shock.
I like the Hubba Hubba but choose to leave it at home when weight is premium.

Anyhow, I ended up with a Tarptent Moment. It has SO MUCH more room than the UL1, its lighter, easier to set up.
Very happy with the TT Moment.

I must admit though if it wasn't for mosquitos in the areas I hunt I would go with a Para tarp in a heartbeat.

The Moment is actually the exact tent i almost bought today. I called and talked to The owner to get exact measurements on things...I'll probably go that route for a solo tent under 2 lbs and decent price..!