Go Pro Range

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, so I am thinking about getting a Go Pro camera and was just curious how far out you can film something and still see it relatively decent? Could a guy use it on a rifle hunt and shoot something at 300 yards and still get decent footage? Also, has anyone tried using one on their head while hunting birds? Thanks for any input.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
300 yards is out of the question. We have used them in training on occasion on our helmets and it was ok for what we were wanting. I think about 80 or more yards you may not be able to even see a deer. Bird hunting I think would work well and be pretty good video.

I have the Go Pro2HD and 300 yards is out of the question. It's solid for close quarter shots and video, but at a distance it weak at best. That being said, it's a fun piece of equipment. And thanks for the reminder, gonna pack mine for tomorrow's hunt!

Not great for long distance, I shot a rockchuck at fifty yards with my gopro2 mounted to my bow and you cant even tell what it is.
If you are just after a kill shot on film the gopro is not the answer.
However, gopros are awesome if you are into making and editing film.
I use mine for time lapse, underwater creek crossing clips, just mount it on your head and start crawling through the brush it gives you a much better point of view than a regular vidoe camera because of the wide angle, all sorts of cool stuff if you are creative.

OP
NDHunter

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not great for long distance, I shot a rockchuck at fifty yards with my gopro2 mounted to my bow and you cant even tell what it is.

Cool, thanks a lot for that info. I guess I'm not sure about using it for birds then. Maybe when they are in close at 20-30 yards it would be ok. I guess I'll pass on it for now and maybe get one in a few years after I accumulate my more necessary gear.

KMT

WKR
I agree with everyone above. We use a gopro for ski and mountain bike video. The lense is a wide or fish-eye lense. It has awesome definition, but anything beyond 10 yards "looks" pretty far away.