Go to knife

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at that work sharp to add to my pack, I've heard really good reviews.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I used it for that bark River, the axe, my iron wills after using them to practice for a couple months, my everyday knife (benchmark folder) and my outdoor edge knives in my spare kill kit. Gets them all shaving sharp. The broadheads were the only thing I used a honing stone to put a final edge on. I’m really happy with it so far. The coarse side was great for taking out the knicks and rolled edges on my axe due to some inexpert swings in the dark on a moose sternum...

i use a benchmade saddle mountain skinner with the G10 grips. I love it, and got it before they went full on dumbass.

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
I have a hand full of customs, some bark river and a couple Benchmade, and some Japanese kitchen knives.

The knives I almost always have in the field are LT Wright.

Small northern hunter with a blaze handle does it all.
Frontier first in a magnetic pocket sheath for small stuff.
Swoop for boning.

I have a bunch of others but the above 3 are my favorite.

Best thing about LT is they are more affordable than some other options. And their work has been Much more consistent imo

Tried a couple havalons a while ago and didn’t care for the replaceable blade knives at all. Also I try to avoid folders, just preference
I love me some LT Wright! I've used several models over the last decade on deer and 2 moose. If anyone is looking for an affordable, semi-custom, handmade knife this is your company!

My other go-to processing knife is an OXO boning knife that came with my kitchen knife set. The tip has a nice sweep for skinning and it has a nice sweep near the handle that seems to stay razor sharp forever. It's big enough to cut whitetail backstraps into butterflies without too much effort.

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
Two elk a deer and hopefully a third this week, still sharp and works. I used to use havalon but after watching and calling out the guys who where littering them in the forest (I picked up and packed out the old blades) I have not much to say about havalon.

20190921_153353[1].jpg

scrapyard ratmandu. 2nd is a Ranger TFI that I had Justin Gingrich shave to 3/16 with a high sabre grind and a wicked bevel

LightFoot

WKR
I run a Browning or Buck fixed blade all purpose type knife and a Havalon. I will always pack a fixed blade. The havalon is good, but I think some of the other replaceable blade knives are better. Changing the blade in the middle of an animal with a gunked up blade can be challenging. Fortunately I have not (yet) cut myself while changing blades, but I have come pretty close.

Spend your money on experience before you spend it on fancy gear.

I'll 'go to' this one, this season....

IMG_1536_zpsgvaimf29.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
I always have 2-3 knives and the 1.2oz rod out of my old Cabelas ceramic steel to touch them up. The glue gave out on the wooden handle in AK and I decided it works just fine without the extra bulk of a handle. I use the steel regularly while processing an animal, probably more than necessary.

For knives it depends on the hunt. If I'm wearing a belt I will carry a fixed blade on my belt. Some of the newer pants, especially rain pants, have built in belts and aren't great for carrying a knife on.

My current favorite fixed blade has been the Bark River Classic Clip Point Hunter in 3V but I also picked up a Dozier Pro Guide in D2. I like around a 4.5" blade stout enough for a little abuse. That knife worked great on my moose, but the leather sheath loosened up quite a bit in the damp weather. The Dozier has a much more secure Kydex sheath. If I'm not wearing a belt I'll take the Dozier in my pack.

For the second knife it varies depending on how I'm carrying my primary knife and what I'm hunting. If my fixed blade will be in my pack I'll carry a folder in a pocket or a Benchmade Altitude in my bino harness. Sometimes both. I want a knife on me I don't have to dig through my pack for. For folders I sometimes carry a Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade knife or a Buck Alpha Crosslock if I want a saw or gut hook. My favorite bigger folder is a ZT 452CF, that one went on the moose hunt. I also have a Benchmade Bugout that is a really light little knife I can forget is in a pocket until it's needed I sometimes take as a second knife. The blade shape on the Altitude and the Bugout is about identical.

I have way more knives than I need, but that gives you lots of options.... I tried the disposable blade knives and just like a bigger stouter knife better for most things. My house doesn't have the ceilings to shoulder mount anything bigger than a deer, so I know I'm not caping anything bigger. I have the walls at the house pretty full already so unless they are really special all my new heads go to the shop as Euro mounts. If I still did more caping I'd likely be more inclined to carry a Havalon or Tyto more often. Deer hunts I take either the Altitude or one of the folders with a 3" blade that does the job nicely if I do decide to cape one.

cm12

FNG
2 years ago I got a Gerber Vital and I now find myself using it almost exclusively!

idahoan

FNG
I used to love my havalon until I got an outdoor edge knife. No more broken blades. You can bone an entire elk and very little weight.

Ferg

FNG
Buck Vangaurd. Tried the replaceable blades on outdoor edge and havalon. Both work ok but I keep going back to the buck. Plus my grandpa gave it to me so there's that.

Dan87

FNG
Been Using the Esee Izula for years, nice compact and durable. Between that and the Victorinox Boning knife I haven't really needed much else.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
Benchmade Steep Country with the orange handle in my kill kit. Mini Griptilian in my bino harness. The Steep Country only comes out when an animal is down and I use the Mini Grip for everything else. I've done the havalon thing and it works, but for elk it's just nice to have a real knife. I carry the tiny benchmade sharpener in the field but rarely use it.

Just got a Survive! Kinves 4.1 Limited and love it. small but stout and slim for slicing. 20cv steel.

Depending on how deep and how much of a gram weenie i am:

Kestrel Ti Scalpel handle or Kestrel Handled Ovis

i have a blind horse long trail that was gifted to me that goes everywhere and does everything. depending on the trip i’ll throw in a scalpel and a few blades as wel