Go to knife

Mosby

WKR
For deer I carry an old Cold Steel Master Hunter with Carbon v steel. Best $50 I ever spent.

For elk I normally carry two knives. A Havalon/Gerber and a Cutco serrated goes most of the time.

robtattoo

WKR
For those using a fixed blade, what are you using to sharpen out on the field? Rock or another method? I've been looking at the work sharp. Any feedback on that?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've always used a simple, cheap, ceramic crock stick. I tend to touch up my blades very often (trained as a chef before I started making knives) on the principle that it's easier to keep it sharp, than make it sharp.
I doubt I've ever used a single knife for more than 5 minutes without giving it a few swipes on a hone of some sort......probably unnecessary, but I literally 'sharpen' my knives maybe once every 2 or 3 years & they all get a LOT of use.

BadDogPSD

WKR
My favorite is a custom skinner from Jim @ Dragonsbreath knives, but also carry a Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter.

You running a serrated knife?

Yes. Hated a serrated knife until a buddy had me try his on an elk. Doesn’t cut like one and stays razor sharp. I experimented one season and passed it around to buddies and it went through 4 elk, 5 deer and 2 bears and was still crazy sharp. Haven’t looked back since and I have a drawer full of customs and commercial knives.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Is anybody using a disposable blade knife for cutting and wrapping once you get back home? Thats when i most appreciate a sharp edge.

I've field dressed, skinned, quartered, and butchered somewhere around 45 deer this year, as well as a few goats and pigs. I like using different knives to see what I like and experiment with steel types, etc.

My current favourites include Condor Kephart, Dexter Russell 1375. The DR is particularly nice; really thin blade and a shape similar to what you would describe as a 'mountain man' knife. With knives made out of softer steels like this, I often carry a small steel and/or Fallkniven DC4 to touch them up, but it's not unusual for me to kill multiple animals on a trip.

I'm lucky enough to have some customs made by people over here in Australia as well. One is made out of an old rasp, which is fantastic.

I have a Gerber Vital to scratch the replaceable blade itch as well. I don't use it often.

I run a tyto replaceable blade and a fixed Benchmade saddle MTN Skinner which is one of the best knives I have ever held

pin_head

FNG
My everyday cant leave home without it knife is a North Arm Skaha. It’s an incredible flipper that takes an edge super easy. I got it through the winter so haven’t put it to an animal yet but I have no doubt it will do awesome. They are made by a father/son company about half an hour from my home.

The past many years I have used a havalon and been really happy with it as long as I use it smartly. I have a havalon Hydra that I bought through the off season and I’m excited to try it out as well and see how the bonesaw does.

Brad

isu22andy

WKR
Havalon , 100 pack of replaceable blades is like 30 bucks . Use it for it everything .

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
Both fixed and replacement. I carry a fixed blade (right now it's a Bark River Drop Point Hunter) made in A2 tool steel because it's easily field sharpened. That blade can do the heavy lifting and help around camp. Then on top of that I carry a Tyto 1.1.

A couple decades ago, I used the Cold Steel master hunter carbon V. Decent steel, and the rubber handle was grippy even when wet, or with fat and blood on it. Today, I like the Cold Steel pendleton hunter since a 3" blade is plenty and the handle is better shaped. I like the cpm3v premium steel. In the unlikely event that it would need sharpening in the field, I carry a small diamond stone.

Lawnboi

WKR
For those using a fixed blade, what are you using to sharpen out on the field? Rock or another method? I've been looking at the work sharp. Any feedback on that?

Many options, what I carry depends on how much I plan on beating up a knife. Honestly if it’s just for a deer, quarter and debone, I don’t bring anything.

If more I’ll take anything from sandpaper, usually just 1000 grit, a small strop, have a few options there the lightest being a paint stick, or a small stone.

Normally I just throw a piece of 1000 grit in the kill kit with the knife just in case. In the truck I keep a stop and stone for real touch ups.

Having a steel that holds an edge, while not being super difficult to sharpen really helps. And it’s also not all about the steel but the heat treat.

OP
Sbarrera185
Many options, what I carry depends on how much I plan on beating up a knife. Honestly if it’s just for a deer, quarter and debone, I don’t bring anything.

If more I’ll take anything from sandpaper, usually just 1000 grit, a small strop, have a few options there the lightest being a paint stick, or a small stone.

Normally I just throw a piece of 1000 grit in the kill kit with the knife just in case. In the truck I keep a stop and stone for real touch ups.

Having a steel that holds an edge, while not being super difficult to sharpen really helps. And it’s also not all about the steel but the heat treat.
I've never thought or heard of people using sandpaper. That's pretty light I'm going to have to try that at home one day

Lawnboi

WKR
I've never thought or heard of people using sandpaper. That's pretty light I'm going to have to try that at home one day

Just like using a strop with paste in it. Head over to the automotive dept and grab some 800,1000,1500 and 2000 grit. Put it on something firm with a little give

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
122414Bark River made out of A2 steel with a worksharp sharpener. I did 70% of the cutting on 2 big moose when we were in the field, sharpened my knife for about 5 minutes and got it shaving sharp enough for the 3rd moose my brother got a couple days later. Nice thick spine for putting your weight into it without breaking, handle gets stickier the bloodier it gets and it’s the perfect length (for me).

Between that and my Gransfors Bruk Hunting Axe I feel like I’m covered for any wild game cleaning.

OP
Sbarrera185
View attachment 122414Bark River made out of A2 steel with a worksharp sharpener. I did 70% of the cutting on 2 big moose when we were in the field, sharpened my knife for about 5 minutes and got it shaving sharp enough for the 3rd moose my brother got a couple days later. Nice thick spine for putting your weight into it without breaking, handle gets stickier the bloodier it gets and it’s the perfect length (for me).

Between that and my Gransfors Bruk Hunting Axe I feel like I’m covered for any wild game cleaning.
I've been looking at that work sharp to add to my pack, I've heard really good reviews.