GoalZero portable solar power

Jager

WKR
Has anyone had experience with GoalZero?

A US company evidently, I just discovered their gear in a gunshop in Australia today, looks to be good quality, can anyone shed some light (pardon the pun) on this company?

A link.

http://www.goalzero.com/guide10.html

Cheers

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey,
I don't own any, but my hunt partner, Cindy Wamsley, had the Goalzero solar panel on our hunt last year. She used it to power an iphone. She'd place the solar panel out on a sunny slope for a few hours each day and it charged the phone no problem in a few hours. That's what I know.

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Thanks a heap Larry, guess I should have tried a search, just the confirmation I was after.

JLF

FNG
Jager,

In my never ending quest to find lighter more efficient options for my hunting gear, I've been able to reduce my power needs to completely rechargeable batteries and keep them powered by 1EA, Goal Zero Nomad 3.5 (8 oz) with 1EA Switch 8 (3.2 oz), otherwise known as the "Switch 8 kit." Providing there is sunlight available this system has proven to adequately sustain an iPhone, Garmin Oregon GPS, Garmin Fenix watch, Headlamp, inReach Device, and an iPad Mini. Just for comparison , one single Energizer AA battery weighs .511 oz. I've been in the field for 30-days straight with this setup with zero issues. In case you're pondering the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus versus the Switch 8. Here is my thought process as I have both. Switch 8 = 3.2 oz @ 8w capacity versus Guide 10 Plus = 6.4 oz @ 10w capacity. So for the same weight of 2EA Switch 8s I have 16w capacity for the same weight penalty as the Guide 10 plus. Now having said that, I initially found the Guide 10 Plus to be more desirable in concept over the Switch 8 due to the ability to have AA or AAA batteries handy. However, realize that you must have all 4 batteries in the Guide 10 Plus in order to "complete" the circuit and allow the device to recharge. This can be an unnecessary redundancy when compared to the Switch 8. Additionally, I've eliminated the need to have a single extra or spare battery due to using rechargeable batteries and recharging them directly housed within their respective host devices. If not for the need to recharge the iPhone and iPad Mini, I could conceivably eliminate the Switch 8 but this doesn't give me any flexibility in the event of signifiant (over days) bad weather or prolonged overcast. Hope this helps.

JLF,

What headlamp are you using that you can recharge it from the Switch8 and from the Nomad 3.5?

How do you recharge the InReach with this system?

I have the Nomad 7 and the Guide 10, I am less than impressed with the Guide 10 and have stopped using it.

It appears the the Nomad 3.5 is no longer available.

Wrongside

WKR
I have the Nomad7 and Guide10Plus. Pretty happy with both. I'm out this week bear hunting solo, tent bound in a snow storm at the moment, and using the Guide10Plus on my iPhone4s right now! It is a little heavy, and sometimes barely makes the cut as a result, but it is very nice having the basically unlimited battery capacity. Especially when you're stuck in a tent by yourself!

JLF

FNG
JLF,

What headlamp are you using that you can recharge it from the Switch8 and from the Nomad 3.5?

How do you recharge the InReach with this system?

I have the Nomad 7 and the Guide 10, I am less than impressed with the Guide 10 and have stopped using it.

It appears the the Nomad 3.5 is no longer available.

Elkhunter,

I'm using a Petzl ZIPKA PLUS 2 headlamp w/CORE rechargeable battery=just plug the usb-to-micro usb cable into the back. I should have specified that I've been testing the inReach SE which allows me to plug the same usb-to-micro usb cable into it for recharging. The Nomad 3.5 is only available in a "kit" format bundled with the Switch 8.

Last edited:
JLF,

Thank you for that information, it just so happens I have a Petzl light that is compatible with the CORE battery accessory. I will also be shopping for a new InReach soon, I will have a closer look at the SE.

It looks like the Nomad 3.5 and Switch 8 are lighter by a quarter pound than just my Nomad 7 by itself, I may switch that off and cut out the Guide 10 pack and extra batteries that I carry with just a couple of small changes.

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a Iphone, but a smart phone. Hunting the way I do a charger would not work as in the day I'm not sitting long enough to charge it. So last year I went on ebay and bought some extra batteries for it. They came from NY, NY, but by way of China for I think $20 with shipping. That got me trough a 2 week hunt. Maybe just check out ebay for batteries !!! Tee

Teeton,

That is one reason I prefer a smartphone over an iPhone, I can replace the battery if it goes bad, AND, I can take a few extra batteries with me and forget about a charger.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
This is one of the last things on my to get list for in the field. I am thinking of picking it up this weekend. Ive researched the hell out of all of the Portable backpacking type power charge systems and the Goal zero always seems to come out on top of the competition in reviews and how well people say they work. Im looking forward to getting this.

JLF

FNG
All,

Just in case you have a Goal Zero Solar Panel, be sure and remove the semi-clear plastic film over the panel itself, this has noticeably improved the recharge rate. I'm a "read the instructions" kind of guy and there wasn't any indication that I was to remove this film but by chance it started self-peeling and when I contacted the company they said, "oh yeah," you need to remove that and it "will" make a small difference in the recharge rate.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
All,

Just in case you have a Goal Zero Solar Panel, be sure and remove the semi-clear plastic film over the panel itself, this has noticeably improved the recharge rate. I'm a "read the instructions" kind of guy and there wasn't any indication that I was to remove this film but by chance it started self-peeling and when I contacted the company they said, "oh yeah," you need to remove that and it "will" make a small difference in the recharge rate.

Thanks for the heads up....I'm def not a read instructions guy though I'm sure Becca already removed it ;)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up....I'm def not a read instructions guy though I'm sure Becca already removed it ;)

Yeah, it's done...I figured it was kind of like the plastic that came on a new tv; there to protect it until you get it home but meant to be removed before intended use :)