Goat bullets.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What are you guys using and what do
You consider to be excellent billets for mountain goats?

sorry if this has been done before, I’m bored for some reason, probably had something to do with a lack of socializing this past few weeks.

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
I used Barnes TTSX out of my 7mm rem mag. I would recommend a tough bullet that can be used to break the shoulders if the shot present a itself. After taking a couple of bullets, my billy proceeded to roll off a cliff.

Three dead goats with a 162 eldm out of a 7saum going about 2900fps. I am working on a load with the 180 eldm around 2800 fps.

I can’t believe I’m looking for an improvement of a .670 BC but that 180 with a .760-770 BC is crazy! I can’t seem to judge the whipping wind on Kodiak so going for every advantage I can get, and the extra energy won’t hurt.

The other Bullets I like for best on game performance would be the Hammers

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Three dead goats with a 162 eldm out of a 7saum going about 2900fps. I am working on a load with the 180 eldm around 2800 fps.

I can’t believe I’m looking for an improvement of a .670 BC but that 180 with a .760-770 BC is crazy! I can’t seem to judge the whipping wind on Kodiak so going for every advantage I can get, and the extra energy won’t hurt.

I have hammers, LRX, eldx and partitions. I’m working on the hammers right now.

Decker9

WKR
Iv been on a handful of goats shot by accubonds and barns ttsx’s. Some fall in their tracks, others walk a bit (or jump). Ime, it depends on the shot, and the goat.

Iv been reading a lot of good about the eldx’s, my only worry with them, is how they would perform on a charging grizzlys forehead. They’re accuracy and internal performance sounds pretty good tho.

I don't really do anything special for goats. If you are shooting something really high velocity use a high end bonded or a mono so the bullet doesn't come apart. For moderate velocity rounds about any old cup and core has worked great. All recommendations conditioned on your rifle shooting that bullet well. The most important thing is to be out hunting goats - it doesn't get much better imo!

WBT

FNG
Goats are tough animals, but not particularly wide. I’ve always heard people more experienced than me recommend a premium bullet that opens quickly. I’ve been fortunate to hunt goats twice. The first was shot with a 180 gr Barnes TSX and the second with a 180 gr Nosler Accubond. Both out of a 300 WSM. It’s a small sample size, but the TSX performed better.

I used Barnes TTSX out of my 7mm rem mag. I would recommend a tough bullet that can be used to break the shoulders if the shot present a itself. After taking a couple of bullets, my billy proceeded to roll off a cliff.

A guy I know who used to guide goat hunts told me they’re tough as bricks and eat poorly placed or lighter bullets, which could turn into problems with them falling off cliffs, getting stuck dead on a precipice, etc. I didn’t believe him, having killed numerous elk 4 times the size of a goat. I found out the hard way he was right, using .308 with 178gr ELDx. My goat took 2 shots to the shoulder without flinching, and a third high shoulder then it jumped off a 200’ cliff and down a 1k’ rockslide. I should’ve taken my 7mm rem mag! Just my experience anyhow.

180 gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tip out of a 300WSM but any decent bonded bullet will do the trick. It's my experience that shot placement and patience are more important if you don't want to spend part of the day hiking up and down the mountain looking for missing horns.

Curious as I found a really good load with the LRAB in my 280ai haven't choreographed it yet but its int he .2s and are the 168s what happened with them?

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider

Short action? Barrel length?