Goat Gear

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I am new here, and I really enjoy the forum. I was hoping that you guys and gals could give me some gear advice for an upcoming goat hunt to SE Alaska. I am starting with basically nothing in the way of lightweight backpack hunting gear. (My whitetail gear from middle Tennessee is pretty heavy and not ideal.) I am looking for stuff that will work and not let me down, but I am also wanting to keep it within a reasonable budget. The hunt is going to take place in October 2014, so I do have time to pick it up as it comes on sale. Any advice would be appreciated. PS What are your thoughts on HH Impertech as far as rain gear goes?
Thanks
Eli

jherald

WKR
Impertech does not breath at all but is hard to beat on a downpour deluge of rain you can encounter on coastal hunts. Theres a reason why southeast forest is so green and healthy, the rain, and lots of it.

Even though impertech doesnt breath, its a go to piece of gear on my coastal area hunts. You can always find it reasonably priced online if you do a little searching. And its a roomy piece of gear and stretches so order the size you normally wear, you'll have room to layer under it.

As for low priced lightweight hunting clothes, you should be able to find some Russel apx gear on sale just about anywhere these days. Also check some forum classifieds for used sitka and kuiu. The sizing on sitka and kuiu is "athletic" fit so you may need to go up one on certain pieces of gear and sizes.

Floorguy

WKR
ditto on the impertech not beathing strenuous activity will have you more soaked than not wearing it. If crossing water take the pants off or use gaiters the inside is fabric and it will wick up and get you pants underneath wet same for sleeves or around the neck if you don't have the hood up. The seams can and will leak eventually, especially if you are hunkered down either trying to wait out the rain or floating a river in the middle of a monsoon. I have a Koldo I bouth in November that I will be wearing every chance I get this year.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, I would recommend almost any good rain gear over the impertech for a goat hunt. Don't get me wrong, impertech is good stuff in wet weather as long as you aren't moving, but climbing a hill in that stuff will have you as wet from the inside as you would be from rain--maybe wetter. It would be like a sauna inside if you work up a sweat at all, and you will be freezing as soon as you stop to glass.

I have also had great experiences with the kryptek koldo gear in wet weather hunting deer on Prince of Wales Island, and it will also be coming along with me tomorrow for a spring black bear hunt in PWS. It's a bit heavier than other lightweight backpacking options, but still lighter than impertech and will breathe much better.

Might want to check out other mountaineering style rain gear, particularly if camo isn't a priority for you. Mountaineering gear companies have been balancing waterproof with lightweight for years, and many have it pretty well dialed in.

For your other clothing and gear items, look for options that will retain warmth when wet, and dry quickly. You will definetely want a synthetic fill "puffy coat" for when temps drop. Merino wool can't be beat for base layers, and I hunted in quick dry nylon "fishing style" pants for a lot of seasons. Same rules apply, if you don't care about camo you can often get better deals on brands that aren't strictly geared towards hunters.

Great deals on good name brands can be found on the REI outlet, as well as deal sites like steepandcheap and theClymb.

I am jealous you are going on this goat hunt as I went in 2011. You will have a fantastic time and very memorable! I INVESTED in KUIU Chugach rain gear, along with other items for my kit and never regretted the purchase. All of it performed superbly! Best wishes on your hunt and keep us posted after the hunt!

OP
T

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input! Do you think you could use the Chugach rain gear as a primary outer layer? I am new to all of this layering stuff so I appreciate the help!

Maxhunter

WKR
I am jealous you are going on this goat hunt as I went in 2011. You will have a fantastic time and very memorable! I INVESTED in KUIU Chugach rain gear, along with other items for my kit and never regretted the purchase. All of it performed superbly! Best wishes on your hunt and keep us posted after the hunt!

Yep! I agree with your comments. I've taken my KUIU gear on quite a few Alaska hunts and it has performed flawlessly!

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
TNSM, where are you at in Middle TN?

There are a lot of good gear manufacturers out there. If you're starting from nothing I would list out everything you need and prioritize it in order of importance, then budget a price range. The forum can help you with all that.

OP
T

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
RockChucker,
I am from Lynchburg TN. The home of the famous Jack Daniel's Whiskey.... haha. I am really not sure what I need, but I do know that quality rain gear is a must. I am liking what I hear about the Kuiu gear.

tstowater

WKR
Depending on your "budget", KUIU might be a little pricey. As Becca said, there is some fabulous mountaineering gear out there that generally will put most of the hunting gear to shame. A couple options to look at is Barney's Sport Chalet and Mountain View Sports, both in Anchorage, might give you some gear ideas also. The "locals" have a better idea than me, but I can tell you that some of the crap you might have to get through can be hard on gear. Just expect wet, possibly cold conditions and plan on layering. As much KUIU as I have, I'm not 100% sure that the Chugach will stand up to the alders and devil's club for a long time. There are others here who could give you better feedback on that subject.