Goat hunting books or resources

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
When going over my goals for the year, I decided that It's time to get serious about goat hunting, in the past Ive just tagged along with guys but now I'd like to really get serious about it and hopefully do a solo goat hunt this year.

Are there any good books or other resources? Ive gotten quite a bit of information over the years about other species and types of hunting from books by guys like Larry Bartlett and Tony Russ but I havn't seen any good solid books out there about mountain goats.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

as.ks.ak

WKR
When going over my goals for the year, I decided that It's time to get serious about goat hunting, in the past Ive just tagged along with guys but now I'd like to really get serious about it and hopefully do a solo goat hunt this year.

Are there any good books or other resources? Ive gotten quite a bit of information over the years about other species and types of hunting from books by guys like Larry Bartlett and Tony Russ but I havn't seen any good solid books out there about mountain goats.

Hey dude! Resources are good, and reading is great. However, IMO, best thing you can do is get out and observe them. If you can, which I’m pretty sure you’re near a population of goats right? Go out in the summer and practice getting close to goats when it doesn’t matter, spend hours behind the spotter watching their habits. That’s my best advice. Go out, get above them and you’re all set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try A Beast the Color of Winter by Doug Chadwick. Who better to learn about mountain goats from than someone who lived with them for 7 years?
^^^this!
b920cab4984abca48ca1035bef1253d6.jpg

Hey dude! Resources are good, and reading is great. However, IMO, best thing you can do is get out and observe them. If you can, which I’m pretty sure you’re near a population of goats right? Go out in the summer and practice getting close to goats when it doesn’t matter, spend hours behind the spotter watching their habits. That’s my best advice. Go out, get above them and you’re all set!

Absolutely, plus it's not a bad way to get into goat shape.:)

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Try A Beast the Color of Winter by Doug Chadwick. Who better to learn about mountain goats from than someone who lived with them for 7 years?

This is the one that I learned the most from before my hunt.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

yup I plan on doing some scouting but I have a few months of winter left before that’s a possibility so I was hoping to get some reading in while the days are short and cold.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider

as.ks.ak

WKR
I should add, Duncan Gilchrist has a good one on goats too. But his are hard to find, and always pricey.

Hunting the Rocky Mountain Goat and A Beast the Color of Winter, have them both and both are great reads! Hunting goats is a very fun time, they are quite predictable when undisturbed and if you watch them for a day or two you can take advantage of their tendencies quite easily.

BKasaback

FNG

Thank you for creating this thread! I’m curious myself

SteveOtt

FNG
Bring the .22 on your scouting missions, should be some ptarmigan around. Beware, they’re closed part of the summer (in my GMU anyhow).