Goat recipe

Santa

FNG
I've never done this w/ Mountain goat, but have done it with a small bone-in goat leg and it was great. This is also my go to venison shank recipe. Depending on the size of the meat/roast...the cooking time may vary. 4hrs is plenty for a small bone-in leg or 4 good sized shanks.

-Roast/shank (bone in preferred, but bone-out ok)
-Olive oil
-5-6 whole garlic cloves, peeled
-2-3 large carrots, split and cut into 3" sections
-1 large yellow/sweet onion, chopped rough
-1 pack whole bella mushrooms
~2 cups red wine
~4-6 cups beef broth
-S/P, black peppercorns, oregano, basil, parsley, rosemary, 3 bay leaves (sorry, I cook by "feel" not by measurement. I'm pretty heavy handed w/ the spices. I actually prefer dried spices in this dish.
-Garlic powder and onion powder
1) Trim silverskin off meat and leave out to come up to room temp (~1hr)
2) Preheat over to 350. Season meet generously w/ S&P
3) Cover bottom on cast iron skillet in oil and bring up to high heat. When you see the "shimmer", sear the meat ~4-5 min's a side w/ top on. (Resist the temptation to move the meat around. you want a nice brown crust). Remove and set aside
4) Heat up a little oil in a dutch over med-high heat. Add a handful of peppercorns along with the other spices show with them in the above list (don't add onion or garlic powder yet). Stir the oil and spices together and heat for a couple of minutes. Then transfer meat to dutch oven.
5) Deglaze cast iron skillet with 1c of wine and 1c of broth. (that just means scrape up all the "giblets) :) Pour this mixture over the top of the meat
6) Add the remaining vegetables to the dutch oven and add the rest of the wine/both. You want enough liquid to mostly cover the meat. Add more liquid, if needed.
7) Add several healthy shakes of garlic and onion powder. Stir and cover w/ tightly fitting lid
8) Cook in oven for 4 hrs.

OP
deerhunter2881
I've never done this w/ Mountain goat, but have done it with a small bone-in goat leg and it was great. This is also my go to venison shank recipe. Depending on the size of the meat/roast...the cooking time may vary. 4hrs is plenty for a small bone-in leg or 4 good sized shanks.

-Roast/shank (bone in preferred, but bone-out ok)
-Olive oil
-5-6 whole garlic cloves, peeled
-2-3 large carrots, split and cut into 3" sections
-1 large yellow/sweet onion, chopped rough
-1 pack whole bella mushrooms
~2 cups red wine
~4-6 cups beef broth
-S/P, black peppercorns, oregano, basil, parsley, rosemary, 3 bay leaves (sorry, I cook by "feel" not by measurement. I'm pretty heavy handed w/ the spices. I actually prefer dried spices in this dish.
-Garlic powder and onion powder
1) Trim silverskin off meat and leave out to come up to room temp (~1hr)
2) Preheat over to 350. Season meet generously w/ S&P
3) Cover bottom on cast iron skillet in oil and bring up to high heat. When you see the "shimmer", sear the meat ~4-5 min's a side w/ top on. (Resist the temptation to move the meat around. you want a nice brown crust). Remove and set aside
4) Heat up a little oil in a dutch over med-high heat. Add a handful of peppercorns along with the other spices show with them in the above list (don't add onion or garlic powder yet). Stir the oil and spices together and heat for a couple of minutes. Then transfer meat to dutch oven.
5) Deglaze cast iron skillet with 1c of wine and 1c of broth. (that just means scrape up all the "giblets) :) Pour this mixture over the top of the meat
6) Add the remaining vegetables to the dutch oven and add the rest of the wine/both. You want enough liquid to mostly cover the meat. Add more liquid, if needed.
7) Add several healthy shakes of garlic and onion powder. Stir and cover w/ tightly fitting lid
8) Cook in oven for 4 hrs.
Thank you sounds great

MtnMuley

WKR
Is your goat gamey or mild? Of the several goats I've eaten,1 it wasn't until the last where the meat was as good as any red meat I've ever eaten. They've all been killed around the same time of year, big billies, and extremely well taken care of. I have no explanation why this last one tastes to good. It goes straight on the grill or the pieces into a butter olive oil mix in the cast iron. Saved the venison, elk, and moose for stir fry, stroganoff, etc.

Goat is our families favorite game meat, bar none, and typically we don't do anything special with it, steaks (straps & loins) and burgers on the grille just like anything else. That said, if you have a roast that you'd like to try in a somewhat non-traditional way, I have a pretty good recipe.
Make about 10 slices/cuts into the meat and stuff a garlic clove into each slice.
Add half of a 16 oz. jar of pepperoncini pepper juice, then add all of the sliced pepperoncini peppers.
Add 1 package of dry Italian salad dressing mix, two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, and some people like to add a couple beef bouillon cubes, although the bouillon makes it a little too salty for my taste.

Cook this in a slow cooker, on low, for about 10 hours, and you'll be enjoying some of the best wild game pot roast you've ever had.

I've made Hank Shaw's turkey bratwurst recipe, that was great. Also slow cook it and make bbq sandwiches. I make chili with the burger, pasta sauce, I've curried it, made stew, done all sorts of stuff. I had a screw up when field dressing mine last fall, it was a 9.5 year old billy in mid October, pretty stinky dude. Anyway, he had a pretty serious infection on one of his front quarters, softball size lump full of green puss, and that popped on some of the meat. I cleaned it up as best I could in a little creek. The meat might be a little more on the goaty side than some of the other goat I've eaten but it's still good! Bottomline, there's a bunch of stuff you can do even if you're at all hesitant about the flavor.

Dinner tonight is goat stroganoff with homemade noodles and grilled brussel sprouts.
e53287dd848b67fd461128850a5662c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk