Goat rug

S-3 ranch

WKR
AK Troutbum - How do you skin out the feet/hooves? Do you work down to the last knuckle like you would on a bear paw and then salt it? I have done several bears.
Mine I tubed out the legs and face , left the hoofs on for the taxi per request
I had mine draped over the couch and my buddies dog ripped it up while we went to lunch
huge disappointment

AK Troutbum - How do you skin out the feet/hooves? Do you work down to the last knuckle like you would on a bear paw and then salt it? I have done several bears.

It’s pretty simple actually, just skin down to the hoof and your done. It’s definitely easier than an animal with claws IMO. The only time I ever salt anything down is if I’m dealing with warm temperatures, and or, planning on staying out in the field for an extended period of time after taking the animal. Warm temperatures have never been an issue for me while goat hunting on Kodiak in October or November, with several November hunts never getting above freezing. Most taxis/tanneries would rather not deal with salted hides if at all possible, at least that’s been my experience anyway. I don’t know if these pictures help much, but here’s a couple close-ups of the hooves.

9611127e2cef6f222a0dcf9456f1e8cf.jpg

27db46a0487fce772cd5bccdaeb896f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk