Goat suit

swat8888

WKR
Not sure I'd wear a goat suit.....any idiot sheep hunter knows not to shoot a "ewe" looking creature.....but nannies and billies sure look alike. maybe in an archery only area would I attempt that. I've also found an alternate use for using a white suit for sheep....but I'll keep that a proprietary secret for now ;)

OP
T
I look more Sasquatch than sheep no matter what I do but I have had black bears coming up apparently stalking us while we were sitting around glassing sheep in white t-shirts. I have never worried to much about being shot for it though!

muleman

WKR
I live at the base of this mountain and think that this is hilarious. Especially the Utah DWR official stating he can't figure out why anyone would want to do this.

http://fox13now.com/2012/07/18/wild...eports-of-person-dressed-as-goat-on-mountain/

I can come up with three reason without even straining the couple of brain cells this hunter has.

1. Scouting for the upcoming hunt.
  2. Photography
  3. Poaching
I can't believe that this is being made into as big a deal as it has. The DWR is out of touch with hunters if they can't figure out why someone would do this. I mean really, when is the last time you saw a news article about someone dressed as a mutant sized goose?
s7_420391_001_01

muleman

WKR
I live at the base of this mountain and think that this is hilarious. Especially the Utah DWR official stating he can't figure out why anyone would want to do this.

http://fox13now.com/2012/07/18/wild...eports-of-person-dressed-as-goat-on-mountain/

I can come up with three reason without even straining the couple of brain cells this hunter has.

1. Scouting for the upcoming hunt.
  2. Photography
  3. Poaching

I can't believe that this is being made into as big a deal as it has. The DWR is out of touch with hunters if they can't figure out why someone would do this. I mean really, when is the last time you saw a news article about someone dressed as a mutant sized goose?

Guess I should have read the Standard Exaggerator article before posting. Based on the video interview, in the link provided, the DWR offical looked uneducated.

By the way these goats are fairly easy to see up close. If anyone is passing through Northern Utah and would like to see them give me a PM.

R

rebecca francis

That's funny they are calling attention to it. Hunters disguise themselves all the time to get closer to their prey. I have hunted dall sheep in Alaska with and without a white suit. I believe there are only certain circumstances where a white suit will even work. However, on my last archery hunt I was able to get within about five feet of a huge dall ram because of the suit. I got it on video…it is quite an interaction, and one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. I also hunted goat last year in Alaska. I got into a situation where the only way I could get up on some goats was to go right out in the open, so I decided to try out the white suit with goats. The problem is….just as I got to the top of the hill, the wind switched directions and the goats winded me and took off. So I personally have no idea whether or not it would work on a goat. I've heard it doesn't, but then again, I've heard it doesn't work on sheep either….but it worked for me. :)

shanevg

WKR
Duncan Gilchrist uses this approach in his book Hunting the Rocky Mountain Goat. He claims it works. I've never used it myself but would be interested in giving it a try. A lot of the units up here in WA only have 1 tag so if you were the only tag holder you could feel more comfortable doing that. I may have to try for some photography reasons.

J-Daddy

WKR
There's a Hoyt video on YouTube somewhere of a guy spotting and stalking goats in a white suit...Worked crazy good for him, he pretty much walked up into a middle of a herd and shot one.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
There's a guy I know in S.E. Ak who had pretty good success with wearing a tyvek suit for his goat hunts. Keep in mind that goats don't walk on two legs, so if you throw one on you might want to take it slow and appear to be a goat, chillin on the mountain., on four legs all hunched over. Might have to pay attention to the demeanor of the target group, to determine how you approach them.

I'm flying into the Chugach this Aug for Sheep and were bringing tyveks along as backup. If we come across a brute ram, with a wide open stalk, it may be time to don the suit. When in sheep country...think like a sheep.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy sent me a few tyvek suits to try when I get there. It's light enough I'll throw it in the pack and if I can't close the distance enough to get a shot I may pull it out. I've read too many times that it works, especially on goats that don't get a ton of pressure, to not have one for the "just in case" scenario.

If it comes out of my pack I will have pics for you guys, we'll see in 12 days.

Hardstalk

WKR
Some people get it. Some dont. The guy in the suit is probably rolling on the ground laughing when he watches the news.

muleman

WKR
Some people get it. Some dont. The guy in the suit is probably rolling on the ground laughing when he watches the news.

People crack me up! I've got some feelers out to see if I know this "crazy, perverted, etc..." guy who would want to disguise himself to get close to nature. I'm also starting to work on my goat suit. So please feel free to donate to my legal defense fund, once society deems me a threat because I wanted to get close to nature. Society as a whole is so removed from nature and the food supply.

Speaking of not getting it, I had a nephew argue with my wife that watermelons come from the store and not the garden. It wasn't until she made him go pick one from our garden, watch her slice it and then serve it with dinner, that he believed her. My fear is that heaven forbid the economy gets worse and we are going to have a national level disaster where people can't take care of themselves because they don't know how. Similar to what happened in New Orleans after Katrina.

Hardstalk

WKR
I got the antelope head and shirt to try out this year they just look fun had to buy one and try it.

muleman

WKR
The Story Isn't Over Yet!

Here are a couple of teasers from the article.
http://www.standard.net/stories/2012/07/29/new-yorks-spider-man-has-nothing-northern-utah

But “Spider-Goat Man”? First, he’d butt you in the crotch with his head. Then, while you’re doubled over in pain, he’d wrap you up in a sticky-strong web emanating from his cloven hooves. And maybe even bite you with his arachnid-like fangs that inject paralysis-inducing venom into your body.

And THEN, when you’re completely, helplessly at the mercy of Spider-Goat Man ...
... he’d eat all your tin cans.

Anybody wanna guess what you get when you cross a sea gull with a badger?

Frankly, I don’t wanna know. But you can bet it won’t wait for you to drop that french fry.