God bless Wisconsin

Lawnboi

WKR
I think it comes down to numbers, and ability to access where they live. Not like Idaho out here, there’s not many places you can’t reach by road, much less snowmobile trail this time of year.

200 is a joke! People think over 20% of the wolves were killed and are now freaking out. We need liberal seasons and limits for a few years to get them in check.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing but a token season, it will have no impact on numbers. Bitch's will produce more new pups than that soon this year. We need a season to start in October and run through March, unlimited. Running with dogs and trapping to begin middle of December. THEN a legal season would have impact. The unofficial season now continues but without a legal season a concerted effort can't be made.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
We got a quick wolf season in before anti's could stop it, another season in November is planned. The bad part is, how quickly so many were killed has focused a lot of attention from all across the country (not good).

Trial153

WKR
As guy that has run dogs for 20 some odd years, killing wolves with hounds in the upper mid west vs The rocky mountain west ....it would be a night and day different experience.

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
The meat eater folks thought this was just terrible. Carnage! The audacity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Blowing past the quota makes both the dept and hunters look like stumbling idiots. Terrible optics and inexcusable in a situation with that much riding on its sucess. It will make it all the more difficult going forward.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
They blew past the quota because there is likely 3000 wolves here in WI and not the 1000 that the states thinks there is. Hunting conditions were optimal, which helped too.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Blowing past the quota makes both the dept and hunters look like stumbling idiots. Terrible optics and inexcusable in a situation with that much riding on its sucess. It will make it all the more difficult going forward.
I agree with the making it more difficult going forward, but how is that the hunters fault.

Trial153

WKR
I agree with the making it more difficult going forward, but how is that the hunters fault.
Plenty of indications that kills were being reported as late as possible dto prevent the quotas from being tallied and season shut down after it was filled.
The DNR made the mistake of giving too liberal a time period after the kill and hunters latched onto that knowing full well what would happen.
We are taking about Wisconsin not the Yukon. Your not out of cell service for 24 hours.

Coldtrail

WKR
I would agree, I think the wolf season is going to be a "one & done" for Wi, lawsuits filed in 3,2,1......

I would agree, I think the wolf season is going to be a "one & done" for Wi, lawsuits filed in 3,2,1......

Yeah. ‘Cause if 119 wolves or less were taken, there’d be no lawsuit.

Lawsuits are coming regardless of outcome.

And to Trial153’s point, it’s not the Yukon. Hunters could be required to report in a shorter window of time.

Maybe the DNR could be required to actually count the real number of wolves.

And maybe the quota that was set by the biologists could be reported. That was 200 wolves.

Political motivations launched the Kabuki Theatre of giving half of the quota in the ceded territories to the clans, who were not going to hunt.

That’s how the “quota”number came to be 119.

Now, I don’t agree with the politics. I don’t agree with the spin. Hell, I don’t even agree with the count and quota numbers... but those are different conversations.

The quota set by the biologists was 200.

216 wolves were killed in less than 58 to 63 hours depending on the zone.

Encounter someone hyperventilating about the “quota being blown past”?

Calmly remind them that the quota set by the biologists was 200. Not 119. The speed that the quota was filled is further evidence that there are in actuality far more wolves than official estimates... and then move on.

260madman

WKR
They gave 81 tags to the NAs knowing they don’t have to report or wouldn’t report kills if they actually hunted. 1000 wolves is a gross failure of counting. 1+2=.8 in their world. Common Core at its best. I could use a string and pencil with a tack and draw a radius of 20 miles on a map From where I live and could come across at least 3 packs of wolves in that circle.

Optics? I think in this state we really don’t care about optics. If you do you can hang out with a microbrew and sing folk songs while you plan a BLM rally. Oh, so enlightened! Some of us remember the spear fishing days and what that has done to the fishing in Northern WI. That resulted in death and beatings.