GoHunt App Update

archp625

WKR
Does anyone know where goHunt is at on their app for maps. I know they tried to come out with it and found some issues. They wanted to test it more because they put it out to the general public. I really like the online 3D map. I don't think there is anyone else out there with anything close.

BBob

WKR
Bringing this back up since I didn't see it mentioned and I didn't find anything with a search. GoHunt released the beta for iOS yesterday or at least that's when I got an email telling me about it. It's in the App Store now. I downloaded it and have been giving it a go. It's functional but IMO they have a long ways to go to equal GAIA and more to go to get to onX levels. All my pre-existing way-points from the beta online version I had made showed up fine. Elevation layers are helpful. Water sources are nice but I've found them lacking at least here in AZ. Lots of drinkers and catchments don't show up. It's a good start and curious to see where they go with it.

CorbLand

WKR
Bringing this back up since I didn't see it mentioned and I didn't find anything with a search. GoHunt released the beta for iOS yesterday or at least that's when I got an email telling me about it. It's in the App Store now. I downloaded it and have been giving it a go. It's functional but IMO they have a long ways to go to equal GAIA and more to go to get to onX levels. All my pre-existing way-points from the beta online version I had made showed up fine. Elevation layers are helpful. Water sources are nice but I've found them lacking at least here in AZ. Lots of drinkers and catchments don't show up. It's a good start and curious to see where they go with it.
I spent three days in the back country of Arizona back in March and I am pretty sure that water is just a myth in Arizona.

BBob

WKR
I spent three days in the back country of Arizona back in March and I am pretty sure that water is just a myth in Arizona.
Maybe I should be glad GoHunt's water map isn't 100%??? :) Lots of areas for sure where no water exists, pre-season packing in a water stash is par for the course in some areas.

Last edited:
I used the gohunt beta app the last couple of days, and yeah, it is definitely raw.

I like the ability to switch from a mapcentric view to a youcentric view or as OnX calls it "compass mode". I like that the top of my phone locks on where im headed or 'looking' and not me moving around a map. Shows a cone of where Im looking. The GoHunt app has this feature, but only at a set map elevation. If you zoom in or out at all, it removes you from that mode. With OnX, you can zoom in and out and you stay in that mode.

I used basemap for 2 years. I MUCH prefer basemaps interface, offline maps, how you measure line distance (the line stays active in basemap, giving you constant measurement reading - so you can measure 2+ ridges with the same line and get real time measurements the whole time, where in OnX and GoHunt you have to drop 2 points before you see any distance. Everything you measure has to be 2 points) , the many maps you can select from, the wind checker, layers, etc. I got really comfortable with it. But lacking the compass mode was enough for me to switch back to OnX. I got tired of having to use OnX just for this feature and having to get all my waypoints, markers, etc into both apps. Im not sure why BaseMap wont add it, but even the extremely raw GoHunt app has it to some degree. If BaseMap ever adds it, Ill likely go back to basemap. I know these apps are personal preference, but BaseMap is perfect other than the lack of compass mode.

I do like what Gohunt has with the foundation of this app and Im interested to see how they develop it going forward.

EDIT 5/25. Basemap has added the compass feature. Game on. As I said before, I preferred everything about Basemap except not having this feature. Basemaps way of doing it is somewhat overdone compared to OnX and GoHunt, but coupled with how much I prefer Basemaps UI, it will work for me.

Last edited: