goHunt - is it sometimes "off", or am I stupid? Probably the latter....

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I generally like the goHunt site, but sometimes it seems (to me, at least) to have some issues. Sometimes the description of a unit can be internally inconsistent - for example, seemingly good in the "buzz" section, but then with something later in the summary that is contradictory. And then tonight I read the Utah elk strategy article, which seemed to indicate that this is a great state for which to take a shot at a NR drawing, and it described some spike hunt options. But then the draw odds indicate one unit has 1/3 chance of success in the NR draw (with zero points), but that there are (or were last year) only 6 tags. Huh? And the other units with lower draw odds are really low odds. Am I totally misreading something? I also read an article the other day about Idaho and was excited to try to pick a spike only hunt, but couldn't figure it out (I didn't see a filter option for spike only hunts), and then the site seems to list the units by number only, but the tags are sold by larger regions, thereby requiring one to go back and forth between goHunt and the state site, when it seems that goHunt could merely list the regions or zones, in addition to the units.

Again, as suggested in the title, I'm confident that the most likely reason for this confusion is me, so I'm happy to be shown the error of my ways.

I don't think its just you. I see inconsistencies/contradictions somewhat often. especially like you mentioned between the "buzz" or the general unit description and then down in the species specific little blurb before season breakdowns. they also seem to be generally pretty generic and vague at times. doesn't bother me that much though, the value in the product really is all in having filtering and odds for all the states in one place

Riplip

WKR
I have found a few inconsistencies and/or things that did not look correct. Customer service seems to do a very good job of responding to inquiries and questions, and will correct items quickly if brought to their attention. Overall I like the service especially when combined with other methods of gathering info.

Selway

FNG
Can't believe anyone would pay $149 a year for info/data that is available for free if you just look.

It would be one thing if that's all they did, but in top of that they make up bogus "insider" information that misleads hunters. But if you're that gullible maybe that's a good thing.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Can't believe anyone would pay $149 a year for info/data that is available for free if you just look.
I think I got a discount, but point taken. Maybe some have less time, or value their time differently. I'm trying to choose among multiple states and - assuming the data is accurate - having it one location, in a filtering format, could/should be beneficial.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

Time is money, $149 bucks saves me lots of time. Some of those state websites are built by ratards! Yeah, I know you can't say that anymore, that's why I used an A.

Do they get things wrong sometimes absolutely? But hell I'm only right about have the time.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Time is money, $149 bucks saves me lots of time. Some of those state websites are built by ratards! Yeah, I know you can't say that anymore, that's why I used an A.

Do they get things wrong sometimes absolutely? But hell I'm only right about have the time.

What most of you guys are missing is the nuggets are in the gravel! If you're using these services you're panning for gold with all the other folks in the tailings. Good luck with that. I'm looking to hunt where everyone on GoHunt is not!!!

jolemons

WKR
What most of you guys are missing is the nuggets are in the gravel! If you're using these services you're panning for gold with all the other folks in the tailings. Good luck with that. I'm looking to hunt where everyone on GoHunt is not!!!
Agreed with Ryan. It would take me hours to compile and decipher everything thay i can get from them at the click of a mouse. If you're compiling States data yourself, great, but i have better stuff to do. At the end of the day, it's the same information. I don't see how you could claim an advantage to not using their data if you're using available State data since they're one in the same.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Selway

FNG
Agreed with Ryan. It would take me hours to compile and decipher everything thay i can get from them at the click of a mouse. If you're compiling States data yourself, great, but i have better stuff to do. At the end of the day, it's the same information. I don't see how you could claim an advantage to not using their data if you're using available State data since they're one in the same.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Because when you get it directly from the source you know the information is correct. I don't like relying on a game of telephone to get that important of information.

I did the free trial, and the amount of information that was wrong was crazy. Not even opinionated stuff like trophy potential, but hard facts like unit boundaries, season dates etc.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Because when you get it directly from the source you know the information is correct. I don't like relying on a game of telephone to get that important of information.

I did the free trial, and the amount of information that was wrong was crazy. Not even opinionated stuff like trophy potential, but hard facts like unit boundaries, season dates etc.

I hope you are not talking about state game agencies? They are wrong a lot, I had to call the Idaho Fish and Game three different times to get the right answer on a question last year that was dead wrong in their regs. None of these companies selling info are right all the time. But they will get you close. You still have to do additional research. Nothing wrong with you guys that want to do all the leg work yourself, but I choose not too. And my nuggets pan out pretty damn nice most years. Good luck this year guys!

Selway

FNG
I hope you are not talking about state game agencies? They are wrong a lot, I had to call the Idaho Fish and Game three different times to get the right answer on a question last year that was dead wrong in their regs. None of these companies selling info are right all the time. But they will get you close. You still have to do additional research. Nothing wrong with you guys that want to do all the leg work yourself, but I choose not too. And my nuggets pan out pretty damn nice most years. Good luck this year guys!

If I need to explain to a game warden why I killed an animal where I did, when I did, I like my chances much more citing the state issued regulations than gohunt.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If I need to explain to a game warden why I killed an animal where I did, when I did, I like my chances much more citing the state issued regulations than gohunt.

Wow... thanks for clearing that up. probably why I said "You still need to do additional research" If you still think picking through eight state game website is faster than getting a general Idea from Gohunt then refining that research on the state website when you have a basic plan. Then we probably research much different and will probably not agree on much.

Last edited:
GoHunt is really slick with the draw odds and success rate interface. Their unit specific info is super generic and unhelpful, obviously written by an out of stater. Trophy quality seems decent overall. Strategy articles are not very helpful as they steer huge numbers of people to top units or sleepers.

Grundy53

WKR
After I decide where I want to hunt I read that state's regulations very thoroughly...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
GoHunt is really slick with the draw odds and success rate interface. Their unit specific info is super generic and unhelpful, obviously written by an out of stater. Trophy quality seems decent overall. Strategy articles are not very helpful as they steer huge numbers of people to top units or sleepers.

I agree with you on their strategy articles and to be honest if I was only looking at two states I probably would not use their product. I also don't like when they review products they sell against products they don't, that's cheesy. But I can hop on Gohunt and look at five plus States and know the general seasons of elk, deer, sheep and goat and my draw odds in under thirty minutes. Now that is worth it to me.

For sure, Ryan. The draw odds are sweet.

Their unit pages really suck though. It's like you couldn't spend more than 2 minutes bsing about the unit. It sounds an awful lot like the last 5 ones.

Hire some people who can write and deliver some halfway decent content besides the draw odds.

Trial153

WKR
Gohunt is a time saver for sure. I figure if I save 3 hours over the course of the subscription I am even and it paid for itself. That's really easy to do if your making many applications in several states.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
If you hunt one spot in one unit in one state, then yes, gohunt is a waste. But if you hunt more than one state, have a family and good job you are just wasting your own time by downloading every excel/PDF file from every state and then trying to find just the right line. Being able to filter and sort is huge for draw odds. I keep hearing this is wrong or that is wrong but I’m pretty certain it is user error. Once I do have a state narrowed down to a few units I will cross check the info against state databases and have yet to find an error.