Going against Lowa? What does justify Lowa's warranty voiding boot care directives?

Soap

FNG
Hello fellows,

I'm in a pickle, .. for the life of me, I can not understand why Lowa makes care and maintenance products such a big deal. Why does treating my boots with dubbin grease void the warranty? Am I missing something? Why shouldn't I use an age old leather care method on my contemporary boots?

Regards,
Chuck

All modern boot companies have the same policy.
Especially with the rubber rand boots.
Thanks to global warming and epa they just can't get quality adhesive anymore.
So if you put something on the boots that effects the glue and then you want them replaced bamb.

And why would they spend money test products that are not theirs when they have already spent the money on developing something.

OP
S

Soap

FNG
All modern boot companies have the same policy.
Especially with the rubber rand boots.
Thanks to global warming and epa they just can't get quality adhesive anymore.
So if you put something on the boots that effects the glue and then you want them replaced bamb.

And why would they spend money test products that are not theirs when they have already spent the money on developing something.
That looks pretty bad for products marketed to withstand element, time and abuse. So, you're saying the grease would dissolve the glue? Has anyone had that misfortune?

That looks pretty bad for products marketed to withstand element, time and abuse. So, you're saying the grease would dissolve the glue? Has anyone had that misfortune?
Well they can only build things with the products they have available.
Lots of people have had rands peel up. Its it some sort of grease that causes it?

I'm not familiar with the specific grease you're referring to but it may also clog the gortex layer.

Why not just use there product?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Some boot products that use patrolium products breakdown some stiching and glue materials. So it is easiest for the company to just say don't use them.

The patrolium producst are used to thin headling ingredients such as bees wax and make them a workable consistency. Some companies, such as Obenauff's, find other ways to do this.

You would have to use the product you are asking about on the boots in question to have a definitive answer. If no patrolium products are used in it, you probably will not have an issue.

OP
S

Soap

FNG
Well they can only build things with the products they have available.
Lots of people have had rands peel up. Its it some sort of grease that causes it?

I'm not familiar with the specific grease you're referring to but it may also clog the gortex layer.

Why not just use there product?
I've followed Lowa's recommendations for several years. With the spray, the leather was starting to soak up water way to fast, so I switched to an all natural dubbing oil/grease (about 1.5 year ago) with good results. I am now due for a new pair and I would like to find an effective 'dubbin' alternative in order to avoid voiding their warranty.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
Lowas warranty is only a year. The goretex inside the boot is lifetime through gore. The leather treatment shouldnt get to the membrane. I had 2 pairs of lowas leak and they warrantied both pairs. Use lowas stuff for the 1st year the. Use whatever you want

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, if you use a product that has an oil base, it likely can cause the rand to separate. That’s not covers by Lowa or most manufacturers. I’d recommend you only use what they recommend.

I was a little worried about the warranty, but I've trusted Obenauf's on my other boots so I did the same with my Lowa Renegade GTXs. Hasn't caused any issues in the two years I've used them. That said, I don't think the Lowa cream is that expensive if the warranty is important for folks.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I will add, Obenauf's has not harmed my Lowa Tibbets and I have saturated both internal and external lether with it.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I use obenaufs on my tibets and the rand started to separate in a few places. Super glue fixed the rand nicely.