Going back to work after retirement.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
Everybody is different. I have one buddy who retired and loves it. Every single second of it. His brother. also a buddy, retired about the same time. He is totally depressed, to him it seems you have 6 Saturdays and a Sunday, then it starts all over again. First guy worked his whole life for the city in Parks and Recs and the 2nd guy in IT. Both have enough money to do what they want, both with younger wives who still work. It's all in your outlook, and that comes from your inner makeup.

For me, I believe I would absolutely love it. Hunt, fish, work the dog, get in better shape walking, hiking, running, biking. But I won't know until I do it. One thing is for sure, I will never work somewhere "part time". When I pull the plug that is it for me.

CorbLand

WKR
Its amazing how a job seems to give you purpose in life and how many retire and miss that aspect.

Everyone is different. I use to work with a guy that retired young and has worked a bunch of basic retail jobs since then to keep himself busy. He flat out tells them in the interview that he doesn't need the job and if it comes down to doing what he wants and the job, the job will lose. A new manager tested this about year ago. He had a Mexico fishing trip booked and the manager wouldn't give him the week off. The manager said nope and he was like were do I sign my termination paperwork?

My aunt got in a car wreck and is paralyzed. She goes into the school as an aid 3 times a week to give her purpose.

Try and find something that is easy and can be given up. It may help give you purpose and fulfillment.

z987k

WKR
Me to man. I'm 39 and would flip both middle fingers in the air to my company and be peeling out flinging rocks in a hot second if they would let me rite.
I absolutely loathe going to work.
Sure I doubt I could spend all year off with my hunting bucket list.
Probably do some truck driving during the summer to pay for my fall hunting.
I actually rather like my job. It's what I always wanted to do. It's an amazing way to make a living. And generally other than having to cut an adventure shorter than I'd like when I have to go back, I have fun at work. But it's still someone else telling me what to do, and at this point I've done it enough to consider that itch scratched.

But every time I have extended time off, (3months paid) I'm not bored for a single second. There is so much to do in the world and explore, I would need 10 lifetimes as a trust fund kid to even start to scratch the surface. Retirement would just be a whole lot more of that. I just have to be able to fund it.
The idea of getting bored in retirement is just a lack of imagination or a unwillingness to get off the couch.

bozeman

WKR
I feel for people who do not enjoy their work, they has to be a miserable life.......life’s too short, find something that brings you joy!!! I’ll never retire, but may ‘cut back’ sometime down the road.

I feel for people who do not enjoy their work, they has to be a miserable life.......life’s too short, find something that brings you joy!!! I’ll never retire, but may ‘cut back’ sometime down the road.
I don't hate the work itself.
I hate all the back stabbing, double talk out both sides of there mouth, safety is #1 unless it gets in way of production, take everything back from an employee they can, but expect excellence, treat us like we're children crap.
The manager an supervisor i have now talks at every one and acts real superior.
Think we're to stupid to see there crap.

Ohh and experience has nothing to do with getting promoted, its lack of gag reflex.

Brillo

FNG
Sold my small business and am transitioning out. Will start part time delivering to job sites for a landscaping company in April. Did this before and it is the perfect balance of physical and mental. Pays for hunting trips,
So far, so good. Stress free!

rodney482

WKR
I will retire in 5 yrs at age 55 w max benefit. ($100,000 one time check and $30,000 a year the rest of my life) (this is just my pension not my investments)
I will find another fulltime job in a completely new field... maybe sales.

Coldtrail

WKR
Not many people seek to retire from their jobs as much as they need to retire from being "managed". I'm looking at the retirement option soon, I'm finding the past few years that the job I've enjoyed a long time is not that enjoyable and that the things I prefer to do in my off time are what occupies my brain most. I take that as a sign.

The thing I have noticed is that there is no shortage of jobs out there for a retiree that has a track record of showing up on time & not being high or drunk. The crutch is there if you just need to work for one reason or another.

eamyrick

WKR
I probably think about this too much but mine is 7-10 years from now and early by most standards. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ll have to be nomadic or move to a place that supports my hobbies. I could fly fish everyday all summer out west but would lose my mind in Texas during the summer.

jlh42581

WKR
I turn the big 40 in a few more weeks. Been in tech now since 2005. Id like to have my finances in order enough to call it quits at 55. Part of the reason I intend to put 500k miles on my tundra and live in a 1200 sqft house, I dont wanna work till I die.

When I do I plan to do light landscaping, mow grass and plow snow. Just enough clients to do something but not slammed to the wall all week long. No more than enough accounts to do it three days max.

The company I work for took me all of these 15 years to get too. Its the mecca for where I live. Only way Ill leave is if they force me too, until I'm ready.

Dont get me wrong, being retired is pretty awesome, but where I am at, nobody else is retired and their time is limited. I do almost everything by myself. It was a hurdle I had to get over, but after five years of doing it, I am getting better at it. I spend 4-5 days a week in the mountains just bumming around looking for animals and a few days shooting. I have learned to spread out the chores so I always have something to do.

rayporter

WKR
back in 03 i retired early to do what i pleased.

when ever i get the urge to work--- i lay down till it passes.

then get up and do something FUN.

but i do seriously get that you have to have something to do to keep you going,
i go to matches and we go on long trail rides with the horses in the summer.

Slugz

WKR
After 27 years in the military I retired. Made it 5 months and its was evident for my mental well being I needed to go back to work. I needed a purpose.

Mt Al

WKR
I appreciate everyone's response and perspective in this thread, helps think through the possibilities. I can't retire financially yet but am on the path, have a job that's tough to describe but has more purpose and meaning than I'd ever have imagined. My challenge is managing people and the stress associated with that. Most of the stress comes from how I deal with it vs. the problems with the people, and I'm working on that.

An earlier post in this thread mentioned "freedom" vs. retirement and that's what I'm looking for. It's realistic to go down to three days a week soon, which will be a huge start.

Right now trying to balance living now vs. holding off because people can die or get disabled at any time.

I can understand your point of view. I’ve been working from home for a year now and I feel almost semi retired and it’s boring. It’s true that you can only hunt and fish so much. I can retire in 11 years and I’m assuming I’ll want to continue working.

go_deep

WKR
If all continues going well in my life I'll be able to retire at 50,10 years away. I already spend time good amount of time volunteering at church and through our men's group and look forward to the day I'm not restricted by work to do more in that area.

In your case, you may want to look at volunteer opportunities in your community. Could be a lot more fulfilling then some mindless part time gig. There's projects with USFS, Game and Fish departments, through local church groups, even month long trips to 3rd world countries to build or fix houses if your handy life that.

OP
C

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I have looked at some volunteer stuff but covid has affected a bunch of it. I think I just needed to whine a bit. I am still in business but only have to actually put in a couple hours a week to keep it running. Big change from 6 am till whenever dark thirty 6 or 7 days a week.

Rich M

WKR
My BILs work, Publix. My dad doesn't. Dad's buddy day trades. My uncle used to drive for the auto auction.

Plenty of stuff to do to stay amused.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I'm jealous. 35 years old, 36 in 2 weeks...Unless I win the lotto...no way I'm retiring early. If I could walk away and be self sufficient today, the boss would have my walking papers in the next 30 minutes...and I would walk out the building in my underwear with my uniform on the floor and not look back.

I have had an "adult job" the past 9 years, honestly loathed the last 3. Girlfriend even says there's a noticeable change in my demeanor 12-24 hours before my shifts start.
I would look elsewhere but I already know I'm almost topped out financially; and my schedule is definitely enviable by 90% of the population...so I just plug away..
The people I work WITH and not for are the issue. Two are lazy, the other is stupid and did too much "mind altering experiences " when she was younger...and ultimately I have to go back and double check EVERYTHING they do plus all my work
I loved my job I had prior to this one.

Not saying I would sit on my butt...
I have calves to raise, duck ponds I want to build, scuba diving , archery , hunting, wood working..
And antique trucks to restore. I could certainly entertain myself and find things to do.
There is no way I would miss working with a bunch of assholes to put my life off for someone else anymore.
Live your life for you.

Last edited: