Going back to your first rifle.

Teaman1

WKR
You guys ever go back to a rifle after a few years of not using it and realize that you never should’ve switched? I’ve been trying to find the “best” rifle for everything and went back to my savage 16 300 wsm. It just feels right. Groups 165 grain partitions at 3/4” (3 shots) and every shot I take is neatly placed right behind the shoulder. Why the he’ll did I ever switch? Guess I read too much and thought I needed something better

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
I just dragged out my first rifle to use this weekend. It hasn't been out in the field for more than 20 years. BAR, .30-06.

Geewhiz

WKR
I still use my first rifle.

A little different perspective. My grandpa gave me a 270 win when I was 12, the summer before I was first able to hunt. I have hunted with that rifle for the past 16 years and killed a pile of critters with it. I am currently in the process of building a different, semi custom rifle. The reason has nothing to do with not liking that first rifle, but just want to switch things up and do things a little different just for the sake of doing it different. Plus all you jerks that posted in the "what does your elk rifle weigh" thread spent me a whole bunch of money building it. haha

I'm sure I will still use the ole 270 alot in the future, I already know its one of the best, but just for now I might switch things up for a bit.

KCMuley

FNG
Yes. 30-06 to 325 WSM, then 7mm-08, and now looking back at the 30-06 sitting in the safe. The 7mm-08 started as a cartridge for the wife, but after i started handloading it, I had to get a rifle in that caliber. But you can usually never go wrong with a rifle you have used for multiple years.

Not my first, more like my 5th (age 13) rifle is an ancient Remington 760 Gamemaster .30-'06 with a skinny shotgun comb and metal buttplate....earned it by working construction all summer. My ultimate goal is to use it to take a trophy quality animal of each big game species on the Kenai Peninsula....moose and black bear are in the bag so far....

Its not my 1st rifle but its my 1st real hunting rifle I ever bought for myself and its the one I've owned longer than any other rifle. I still pull it out of the safe on occasion when chasing elk.

Anyway, its a Remington KS Custom Mtn rifle in .280Rem I bought in September of 1992. Its always had good hunting Karma (y)

letmgrow

FNG
The first rifle I ever owned is my Stevens 15Y single shot .22 my Dad bought for me in 1958 at a general store for the Whopping sum of $14.95. I have no idea how many rounds have traveled down that barrel but it surely is a lot of them.
Not a summer goes by but what I take the Stevens out and run some ammo through it just because I want to. It shoots as well today as it did 62 years ago and looks as well too.