Going backwards? DSLR to Super Zoom

jeepfan

FNG
I'm assuming you're not free handing it, what kind of tripod/head set up do you use?
I was using my Peak Design tripod. I like the flip lock legs for fast easy adjustments on uneven ground. The head is a Manfrotto 701 fluid head. It's a medium sized head. The camera is big and will require a medium to large head. With zoom that far you need an extra smooth head for smooth, fine movements that far out. Since the camera gets much longer when you zoom in you have to have a longer QR plate so you can balance the camera when the lens is extended. This allows you to set the tilt knob lighter so movement is easier. If you don't have the correct QR plate then the camera will want to tilt forward when the lens is extended and you end up tightening the tilt knob so much that it ends up being hard to move when needed causing excessive movement when zoomed in. I also purchased the remote control which allows me to focus without touching the lens which cuts down on movement of the camera when you are zoomed in that far.

Stalker69

WKR
Are those zoomed all the way in, optical or did you go in to digital? And how far away were they ? They look a bit better then my phone scope.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think there's anything backwards about it, I love having a bigger zoom. One of my many pet peeves is all the video of guys glassing talking about the biggest bull or coolest scene they are watching. Give me a noisy video every day over guys talking about the greatest scene! Not sure the side by side comps of P900 vs a great spotter with a phone attachment...maybe Joel could enlighten us.
I just did a backyard comp between an older BIG zoom small sensor camcorder and my average binos and phone, and the camcorder did just as good with more zoom in low light. Jeepfan your stuff looks really good. Just gotta be willing to pack that thing and a tripod that can hold it everywhere.

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Canon Powershot SX70 HS in excellent condition I'd be willing to sell you if you're interested. 65x optical, 260x combined optical/digital zoom

I think you have a good line of thinking. The bridge cameras can be great. Just like any tool, use it within its capabilities and it’ll serve you well.
I bought a used bridge camera for $200 and have been happy with it.
Optical zoom 50X, full HD.
Since I only paid $200 for it I am not afraid to take it hunting/fishing/skiing/canoeing, etc.
griz.jpgdorsal.JPGdrummer.jpg