Going Caveman in the backcountry

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
So what are the options for staying on the caveman\Paleo style while on our hunts? To be honest for me I'm not going to worry much about it unless I hear some good simple options. It has to keep us going for 8-10 days!

Here is a short list to get going:
Breakfast: I hate to even type it but, oatmeal or granola/protein powder:)
Lunch: Cliffbuilder protein bars or rx100 bars or could I just use almonds & cashews?
Dinner: MH dinners???

So let's hear some ideas.
Rok-on
Rod

littlebuf

Banned
i dont think any of what you listed fits in the paleo diet as im pretty sure theres gluten in just about all of that except maybe the oatmeal depending on brand and the nuts.my wife has been making the move for us towards paleo and ive noticed a difference.im not at full blown letter of the diet and probably never will be but we've cut out a ton of stuff that you just dont need.however i dont really think its practical for a 8-10 day backpack hunt.processed foods are really the best way to keep the calorie/weight ratio to something reasonable to have on your back. my thoughts any how

OP
Rod

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
I agree just wondering if there are other options.

Eagle

WKR
There's actually a way to do it if you'll make allowances for protein powder and rice/quinoa (both of which are pretty benighn in the antinutrient world).

Dehydrate lots of canned chicken for your dinners (a 14 ounce can will be less than 2 oz after dehydration and give you lots of extra protein for your meals). Dehydrate ground beef for dinners as well. Dehydrate your own veggies for your meals. Combine the chicken/burger, veggies, rice and seasonings for your dinners. You can dehydrate some sauces into leather to add to your meals as well. Packing a bottle of olive oil with you to add to your meals is also a great addition for easy calories.

A trail mix that is full of almonds, pecans, walnuts and dehydrated blueberries, strawberries, pineapple (or any other dried fruit) and cocoa nibs is a huge calorie helper. That along with beef/venison jerky is generally what my lunches are made up of.

Breakfast is usually a protein bar either homemade or store bought.

You can also take sweet potatoes and creat a dehydrated leather from them that's great as a dessert with some cocoa powder and cinnamon mixed it. It can be done, and your calories can stay just as high, but you do have to make an inclusion for rice. Tough to do it without that.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like an awful lot of work :) I do a fair number of snacks/dried fruit etc in my dehydrator, and they are really time consuming! I can't imagine having to dehydrate all my protein and sauces myself, at least for the number of 7+ day trips we do each year. Last season I spent the better part of a weekend in July prestaging all the food we would need for 4 different 7-10day trips (between August and October) and that was with most of the food already dehydrated or freeze dried. We don't eat paleo anyway, but I think I am glad we can stick to protein bars, oatmeal and MH....

I stayed paleo all season without having to cheat. Nothing suprising, lots of almonds, dried fruit, packaged tuna (pia to find without some cheating materials.) Lara bars, homemade jerky (with no sugar). It was very suprising to me to see how much better i felt this year with much less calorie/food intake.

Joe

SDHNTR

WKR
I eat mostly paleo at home too, but wouldn't worry about it much on a physical hunt. IMO, you will be working hard enough for it not to matter.

So what are the options for staying on the caveman\Paleo style while on our hunts? To be honest for me I'm not going to worry much about it unless I hear some good simple options. It has to keep us going for 8-10 days!

Here is a short list to get going:
Breakfast: I hate to even type it but, oatmeal or granola/protein powder:)
Lunch: Cliffbuilder protein bars or rx100 bars or could I just use almonds & cashews?
Dinner: MH dinners???

So let's hear some ideas.
Rok-on
Rod

Hi Rod,
I wanted to let you know about a place you can get ready made freeze dried Paleo meals.... it is at a website called PaleoMealsToGo My son follows the Paleo Diet.

I wanted to let you know about a place you can get ready made freeze dried Paleo meals.... it is at a website called PaleoMealsToGo My son follows the Paleo Diet.

OP
Rod

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for all the ideas, good stuff, keep them coming.

Stid2677

WKR
Meat, stick, fire... Sounds Caveman to me. :)

IMGP4016.jpg

IMGP1611.jpg

IMGP0469.jpg

IMGP0513.jpg

IMGP3254.jpg

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
I eat mostly paleo at home too, but wouldn't worry about it much on a physical hunt. IMO, you will be working hard enough for it not to matter.

Yeah that's the way I look at it, if you are actually living like a caveman, no reason to eat like one. When I get back to my cushy office and couch, that's when I go back to the Caveman diet. :)