Going crazy trying to pick a rifle

I have spent my life hunting deer in ohio with a bow. At this point I am wanting to challenge my self more and head west after mule deer and elk. I have purchased most of the gear except a good bolt action. Id like to stick with a easily found caliber ( 308 or 30-06) and dont plan to take crazy far shots. My problem is im really attracted to the light weight idea of something like a kimber hunter pro but i am also concerned with my skills shooting a rifle that light. I have also been looking at the bergara wilderness ridge but im concerned that may be a hair to heavy. So whats a happy medium? Ideally i would go shoot several rifles to see what fits me best. problem is we are a straight walled state only so most have not invested in rifles for deer. If you cant tell my budget is right around $1k. Any help would be great.

sndmn11

WKR
My opinion is that you can do everything you are wanting to do within 400 yards and a 7-08. .308, 30-06, .270, .280, 25-06, 6.5cm would all probably do just as well.

A sub $700 6-7lb rifle such as a Tikka T3, Ruger American, Weatherby Vanguard, Savage Storm or Axis, etc. I'd spend more on a well regarded scope first, and the leftover budget on a rifle.

OP
Sc00ter079
My opinion is that you can do everything you are wanting to do within 400 yards and a 7-08. .308, 30-06, .270, .280, 25-06, 6.5cm would all probably do just as well.

A sub $700 6-7lb rifle such as a Tikka T3, Ruger American, Weatherby Vanguard, Savage Storm or Axis, etc. I'd spend more on a well regarded scope first, and the leftover budget on a rifle.
The good thing is i already have a couple high quality scopes to pick from.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm getting up in age so I went lighter this year. I was concerned about an ultra light weight and what would go along with it. I chose a Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 280ai 5.3 lbs and it shoots beautifully with minimal recoil. I'm just starting to load for it. It's not in the price range you specified but I just wanted to relate to you that there may be less to worry about with a light rifle than we think as long as it's not a magnum.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Superdoo

WKR

Don't give yourself analysis paralysis. These days any gun off the rack will do what you want it to. I'd say go handle them and see if any "fit" better than the others and which actions you like.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
There are quite a few rifle offerings that come with a brake or at least threaded already. This reduces recoil on those lightweight rifles and make them easier to shoot but they are loud! Tons of great options in that price range with Weatherby Vanguard, Tikka, Rugers and Howa rifles all having nice models in what you are looking for. I have owned or still own rifles in each of these models and none have disappointed yet! Good luck with your purchase.

Yeah i had no problems shooting my kimber hunter pro in 308, it does have more recoil than a heavier gun but its manageable for sure

CoStick

WKR
I have kimbers and Fieldcraft, just practice they work just fine.

OP
Sc00ter079
Yeah i had no problems shooting my kimber hunter pro in 308, it does have more recoil than a heavier gun but its manageable for sure
I should have cleared that up a little better. Recoil isn't really my concern....More than that its the steadiness of the rifle during the shot.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider

I shoot a Tikka T3X Lite stainless, and really like it. I would recommend it to anyone. Mine is a 300 MW so recoil is pretty bad, but my dad has the same gun in 7 RM and 6.5 CM they are all really good guns. The action is as smooth or smoother than any gun I have had the pleasure to shoot.

I'm in the same boat. I want a lighter rifle that is threaded. Been looking at the savage 110 ultralite with the carbon fiber barrel, the threaded tikas, and sportsmans has a howa carbon stalker that is light and treaded. I also am looking at the seekins havak. It's more money, but I like that it's not a pencil barrel and still pretty darn light. Probably just going to stick with the 308. I already have a heavier target type rifle in 308 and when I went to the local sportsmans, hunting ammo was pretty slim picking except for 308 and 7mm rem mag.

OP
Sc00ter079
I'm in the same boat. I want a lighter rifle that is threaded. Been looking at the savage 110 ultralite with the carbon fiber barrel, the threaded tikas, and sportsmans has a howa carbon stalker that is light and treaded. I also am looking at the seekins havak. It's more money, but I like that it's not a pencil barrel and still pretty darn light. Probably just going to stick with the 308. I already have a heavier target type rifle in 308 and when I went to the local sportsmans, hunting ammo was pretty slim picking except for 308 and 7mm rem mag.
That is the main reason i am sticking with 308.

I recently had this similar problem…. Finally I got to a point that I wasn’t going to buy anything. Paralysis by analysis.

So, I finally just bought a rifle that fit the budget and went with it. All I can say is it is the most I’ve ever spent on a rifle by at least 2 fold. And it shows.

In the end, whether you buy a Kimber, Tikka, Saki, Savage, Remington… you name it, you’re probably never going to think, “what if?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nashearer

FNG
I would 2nd the recommendations for something like a Tikka T3x. They're reasonably priced, smooth actions, and very accurate. The other nice thing about the Tikkas is that they use the same action for their short action, long action, and magnum calibers so if you ever want to change things up you could swap out the bolt and the barrel. I have one that I swap between 300 win mag and 6.5 cm. The 300 is not much fun to shoot, after about a dozen rounds at the range my shoulder is definitely feeling it, but I could shoot the 6.5 all day.

hunting1

WKR
Go Buckeys! I am an Ohio guy who went west after high school and never looked back although I miss deer hunting in my backyard, friends, and walleye. My $.02 after 20-years out west is go .308 in a sub 7.5-lb rifle with scope. I have shot elk with everything from .338WM-7-08 and can't say I noticed a huge difference as long as you hit them correctly. My go to is a Kimber .308 but many love the Tikka.

Try not to get to caught up in the "which ones is the best" deal. Come up with a list of things you want, then go to a few stores, handle as many as you can, and make up your mind based on that. Chances are anything you pick is going to be good enough to get the job done.

I bought a new X-bolt this fall because it's the gun I liked the best that had everything I was looking for, e.g. detachable magazine, decent trigger, tang safety w/locking bolt, decent stock, smooth action, good weight, good recoil pad, 24" barrel, and in 280 Ackley Improved. It's likely not the best in any of those but I liked it, so I brought it home. I bought it for $1100 out the door from a local owned store that I knew would have my back if there was an issue. There are some things I don't like about it but I love it for the most part. It shoots 3/4 MOA off a bench on bags with factory ammo with me behind it and that's saying something because I don't shoot much at all lately.

Reactions: MJB

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have kimbers and Fieldcraft, just practice they work just fine.
This is it right here. There is nothing about shooting lightweight rifles that average people can't overcome with a bit of practice which you should be doing anyways.

ETtikka

WKR
I just received one of these, that I ordered off this site, seems well balanced, and the reviews are awesome.
I don't know of anything close to this value at the moment, about 600$ total with shipping, tax, etc..