Going DIY for the New Guy

New Guy

FNG
I posted the following paragraphs in response to a thread down the line in this forum. I thought it might be applicable to a broader audience of inexperienced hunters, who might be looking for some encouragement, so I’m sharing again here. Maybe it will help someone out.

I got lucky and drew a good Utah unit last year (we’ll just say it’s close to NV). I only had two points, and had not yet been able to spend time specifically hunting elk. Much of that country is so remote, and the pressure so regulated, that bulls tended to be really responsive to whatever we gave them. We were just a group of Texas guys, with no elk hunting experience, and we were in the middle of big bulls every day. We had over a dozen close encounters, put a stalk on an absolute stud, and had the time of our lives.

The point is: if you draw a good unit with limited pressure, and put in the work, it’s doable. I struggled for months with the decision of going guided or not, because I knew 2019 would likely be my last elk hunt in Utah for decades, if not ever, but I wouldn’t change my decision for anything. We didn’t end up killing a bull, but the adventure I shared with my buddies was something I could never replace. Not an ounce of regret here.

Last edited:

Wassid82

WKR
Good for you. Not saying guides are bad. Just glad there are people out there that say onus is on me. I’ve killed my share of bulls and they aren’t B&C record holders but they are personal records and memories in my book. But I did it my way on public lands. i wouldn’t trade it for a world record..... but I’m still chasing that one too...on public land and DIY!

There’s nothing wrong with using a guide for your first elk hunt. To me the only downside is that you aren’t learning an area to come back and hunt on your own.

You can learn a lot from a good guide. But of course you can learn a lot on your own.... although not as fast.

To me the reasons to use a guide would be.... You can only take one week off from work instead of 2. A diy hunt takes 2 weeks. You can’t expect much if you try to do all of the driving, set up camp, cut wood, pack your own elk, and tear down camp all with no experience in the area or elk hunting in general.

On a guided hunt you can fly out because you have WAY less gear, jump off the plane, hunt your ass off and go home.

But I think the main reason to consider a guided hunt is this: You don’t know if you’ll actually end up being an elk hunter or not. It’s not for everyone. The right gear to be a diy hunter is expensive. So before you go out and dump thousands on everything you need it might make sense to give it a try first. Book a true blue mountain hunt not some cushy private land vacation hunt. You might love it. You might even kill even though you know nothing. You’ll definitely learn a bunch. You might hate it and be glad you don’t have to sell all of your “like new” gear in the classifieds.

The one thing I would try to do first though is line up a diy hunt with someone who is already set up. Use their base camp gear. Have them pass on their knowledge and help you with daily hunting plans. That’s the way to get started!

Drawing a dream tag is a ton of fun. You definitely learn from a hunt like that. But it’s no crash course on how to become a public land diy elk hunter.

If I drew a once in a lifetime license I’d look long and hard at my options. I’d want to kill a bull... hopefully considerably bigger than anything else I have on the wall. No question that even if it is like shooting ducks in a barrel having someone who knows the land is priceless. BUT..... as a mountain hunter if the tag offers hunting in easy terrain I’ll just use my experience to tear the place up and find Mr Big on my own. But keep in mind I’m not a new hunter like the title of this thread says. The other thing I’d do if I was planning a diy hunt is go out pre season and get some boots on the ground. Also when you have a tag like that it’s easy to get information from other since it’s obviously not their annual honey hole.

The choice is yours but the way I’m wired my plan will include killing an elk. Coming home with a tag like that unpunched would not be an option and no short cut or saving of money would be worth that. If you are a complete newbie and really want to kill a bull I think you should make the best use you can of your dream tag and either go guided or find a local willing to help you. There’s an option!

OP
N

New Guy

FNG
There’s nothing wrong with using a guide for your first elk hunt. To me the only downside is that you aren’t learning an area to come back and hunt on your own.

You can learn a lot from a good guide. But of course you can learn a lot on your own.... although not as fast.

To me the reasons to use a guide would be.... You can only take one week off from work instead of 2. A diy hunt takes 2 weeks. You can’t expect much if you try to do all of the driving, set up camp, cut wood, pack your own elk, and tear down camp all with no experience in the area or elk hunting in general.

On a guided hunt you can fly out because you have WAY less gear, jump off the plane, hunt your ass off and go home.

But I think the main reason to consider a guided hunt is this: You don’t know if you’ll actually end up being an elk hunter or not. It’s not for everyone. The right gear to be a diy hunter is expensive. So before you go out and dump thousands on everything you need it might make sense to give it a try first. Book a true blue mountain hunt not some cushy private land vacation hunt. You might love it. You might even kill even though you know nothing. You’ll definitely learn a bunch. You might hate it and be glad you don’t have to sell all of your “like new” gear in the classifieds.

The one thing I would try to do first though is line up a diy hunt with someone who is already set up. Use their base camp gear. Have them pass on their knowledge and help you with daily hunting plans. That’s the way to get started!

Drawing a dream tag is a ton of fun. You definitely learn from a hunt like that. But it’s no crash course on how to become a public land diy elk hunter.

If I drew a once in a lifetime license I’d look long and hard at my options. I’d want to kill a bull... hopefully considerably bigger than anything else I have on the wall. No question that even if it is like shooting ducks in a barrel having someone who knows the land is priceless. BUT..... as a mountain hunter if the tag offers hunting in easy terrain I’ll just use my experience to tear the place up and find Mr Big on my own. But keep in mind I’m not a new hunter like the title of this thread says. The other thing I’d do if I was planning a diy hunt is go out pre season and get some boots on the ground. Also when you have a tag like that it’s easy to get information from other since it’s obviously not their annual honey hole.

The choice is yours but the way I’m wired my plan will include killing an elk. Coming home with a tag like that unpunched would not be an option and no short cut or saving of money would be worth that. If you are a complete newbie and really want to kill a bull I think you should make the best use you can of your dream tag and either go guided or find a local willing to help you. There’s an option!
Nicely worded. I couldn’t agree more. Believe me, I went through every single one of these thoughts in the months leading up to my hunt. You’re right - a dream/trophy hunt is not the place to cut your teeth; I sure wish it hadn’t been my first experience. The odds of harvesting are undeniably poor when going into new country with little experience, relative to going in with someone who knows the country. There’s no shame in asking for help, compensated or not, regardless of the trophy potential.

Certainly not suggesting it’s “less manly” or inferior for anyone to go guided. I was very close to making the same decision, myself. The part I found myself focusing on most was, “I want my friends to experience this with me.” A once in a lifetime hunt can be once in a lifetime for more than one person... I know my buddies appreciated every second of that hunt as much as I did, and it gives me so much pleasure to share such an opportunity. But I still don’t have an elk on my wall...

NC Hunter

FNG
I went on my first hunt OTC second rifle in colorado with 2 other guys. We killed two bulls. The first we worked our butts off for and the second fell into our lap. We learned two things, hard work pays off, and sometimes you just get lucky.

"We were just a group of Texas guys, with no elk hunting experience, and we were in the middle of big bulls every day." "We didn’t end up killing a bull,"

If guys would go on just a few elk hunts prior to drawing a premium tag they would greatly increase their chance for success. Experience - even not so good experience - put odds in your favor over going in with none!

OP
N

New Guy

FNG
"We were just a group of Texas guys, with no elk hunting experience, and we were in the middle of big bulls every day." "We didn’t end up killing a bull,"

If guys would go on just a few elk hunts prior to drawing a premium tag they would greatly increase their chance for success. Experience - even not so good experience - put odds in your favor over going in with none!
No doubt about that. I certainly didn’t plan on drawing Utah with two points; who does? The goal always has been to use short-term strategies (OTC, low-point hunts) to hone the skills. We just happened to get lucky and skip some steps. I’d give anything to have had a dozen close encounters going into this one, but grad school budgets and booked schedules (professionally and hunting) kept us from the elk woods in years prior.

I’m sure the law of averages will hold true, and we’ll have years to earn experience between now and the next premium tag. I’m still thankful for this opportunity. It was an experience we’ll never forget.

OP
N

New Guy

FNG
Well New Guy that explains things much better. Keep hunting! Good luck!
No doubt about that. I certainly didn’t plan on drawing Utah with two points; who does? The goal always has been to use short-term strategies (OTC, low-point hunts) to hone the skills. We just happened to get lucky and skip some steps. I’d give anything to have had a dozen close encounters going into this one, but grad school budgets, and booked schedules (professionally and hunting) kept us from the elk woods. I’m sure the law of averages will hold true, and we’ll have years to earn experience between now and the next premium tag.
I went on my first hunt OTC second rifle in colorado with 2 other guys. We killed two bulls. The first we worked our butts off for and the second fell into our lap. We learned two things, hard work pays off, and sometimes you just get lucky.
Well New Guy that explains things much better. Keep hunting! Good luck!
Probably should have included that in the original post for perspective. I’ll edit now. Thank you! Same to you.

Calbuck

WKR

For me, the learning has been part of the journey.. I have done every hunt on my own. I've learned where to look, and how to look, and why to look there. I started my journey in Nevada in 2014 on an antler less tag. Successful. Follow that up with a DIY researched, DIY hunt in Idaho. Successful. First bull.
Fast forward, I had a few tags that I just couldn't get it done. Learned a ton. Looking back, it was the culmination of all those trips and all that excitement of drawing, researching, and then putting my tracks on the ground that have led me to where I am. And that has already been a lifetime of rewarding adventures. Mostly spent with my dad and my son. Priceless. And more to come!
As the quote above can attest, the learning over time, for me, has been the utmost satisfaction having lived and learned how to do these hunts. And learning and laughing with my family. I won't bash someone for going guided, but a part of me thinks that is cheapening the deal. If a guy has put in for a lifetime to draw a stellar unit somewhere, maybe it's just the number of inches that really matters to that hunter..if that's the case, then maybe guided is the right way to go..how many $$ per inch does it cost? That's not my game. If someone shows you a bull they found, are you as filled with pride with taking that bull as if you found it yourself? For me, that answer is no. I prefer to find my own game and decide on my own. One man's perspective....

For me, the learning has been part of the journey.. I have done every hunt on my own. I've learned where to look, and how to look, and why to look there. I started my journey in Nevada in 2014 on an antler less tag. Successful. Follow that up with a DIY researched, DIY hunt in Idaho. Successful. First bull.
Fast forward, I had a few tags that I just couldn't get it done. Learned a ton. Looking back, it was the culmination of all those trips and all that excitement of drawing, researching, and then putting my tracks on the ground that have led me to where I am. And that has already been a lifetime of rewarding adventures. Mostly spent with my dad and my son. Priceless. And more to come!
As the quote above can attest, the learning over time, for me, has been the utmost satisfaction having lived and learned how to do these hunts. And learning and laughing with my family. I won't bash someone for going guided, but a part of me thinks that is cheapening the deal. If a guy has put in for a lifetime to draw a stellar unit somewhere, maybe it's just the number of inches that really matters to that hunter..if that's the case, then maybe guided is the right way to go..how many $$ per inch does it cost? That's not my game. If someone shows you a bull they found, are you as filled with pride with taking that bull as if you found it yourself? For me, that answer is no. I prefer to find my own game and decide on my own. One man's perspective....
Everyone has to start somewhere. Saying something like “how many $$ per inch does it cost” is bashing. Did it ever cross your mind that those hunters are also about the experience and the learning? You are fortunate to have your dad and son for partners. Some people can’t even find a friend that’s interested and has what it takes to be a partner. The original poster drew a tag by himself. I applaud him for making the choice he did. But taking home the tag of a lifetime unpunched would not sit well with me. Not to say that couldn’t have happened on a guided hunt too especially if the client has zero experience.

Also I would imagine you have more than 5 days to hunt. If someone with no area to call home, no camping gear, and no experience wants to hunt elk for 5 days a diy hunt isn’t really the way to go. With all those limitations I doubt they’d have the greatest memories and the chance of even one inch of antler is slim to none.

I will agree that once a guy has even one hunt under his belt that changes everything. You’re either in or out. If you’re in go buy what you need, line up a partner, and go hunt depending on nobody but yourself to get it done. Yes the reward will be all the better.

Good luck this season Calbuck and stay safe over there!

I posted the following paragraphs in response to a thread down the line in this forum. I thought it might be applicable to a broader audience of inexperienced hunters, who might be looking for some encouragement, so I’m sharing again here. Maybe it will help someone out.

I got lucky and drew a good Utah unit last year (we’ll just say it’s close to NV). I only had two points, and had not yet been able to spend time specifically hunting elk. Much of that country is so remote, and the pressure so regulated, that bulls tended to be really responsive to whatever we gave them. We were just a group of Texas guys, with no elk hunting experience, and we were in the middle of big bulls every day. We had over a dozen close encounters, put a stalk on an absolute stud, and had the time of our lives.

The point is: if you draw a good unit with limited pressure, and put in the work, it’s doable. I struggled for months with the decision of going guided or not, because I knew 2019 would likely be my last elk hunt in Utah for decades, if not ever, but I wouldn’t change my decision for anything. We didn’t end up killing a bull, but the adventure I shared with my buddies was something I could never replace. Not an ounce of regret here.
Everyone has to start somewhere. Saying something like “how many $$ per inch does it cost” is bashing. Did it ever cross your mind that those hunters are also about the experience and the learning? You are fortunate to have your dad and son for partners. Some people can’t even find a friend that’s interested and has what it takes to be a partner. The original poster drew a tag by himself. I applaud him for making the choice he did. But taking home the tag of a lifetime unpunched would not sit well with me. Not to say that couldn’t have happened on a guided hunt too especially if the client has zero experience.

Also I would imagine you have more than 5 days to hunt. If someone with no area to call home, no camping gear, and no experience wants to hunt elk for 5 days a diy hunt isn’t really the way to go. With all those limitations I doubt they’d have the greatest memories and the chance of even one inch of antler is slim to none.

I will agree that once a guy has even one hunt under his belt that changes everything. You’re either in or out. If you’re in go buy what you need, line up a partner, and go hunt depending on nobody but yourself to get it done. Yes the reward will be all the better.

Good luck this season Calbuck and stay safe over there!

Great point and well spoken

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
I did my first elk hunt in October 2nd season rifle in Colorado at a high camp on public lands. It was a guided trip. As a newbie, I don’t see how you get away from other hunters without a four wheeler. It would seem impossible as we put on tons of miles on atv trails to get away from the crowds and still hiked 3-4 miles after we stopped. With that much distance being covered, I don’t see how a diy on your back is remotely possible. What am I missing?

Ps - we had a great time and didn’t even see a single elk!