Going from 30-06 to 308?

Loper

WKR
I imagine some people have “stepped up” in energy, velocity, and range from a 308 to a 30-06 for mountain hunting for deer, elk, bear. Many probably skip the 30-06 and leap frog to a 30 cal magnum.

However, have any of you gone from a 30-06 to a 308 for the same species? I’m contemplating going from a 30-06 to a short action 308 with a 20 inch barrel to reduce overall weight and have a handier rifle, especially for suppression in the future.

The maximum distance I am comfortable shooting at game is 300 yards, maybe 350 with the right conditions. Wondering if going with a lighter weight scope and shedding the extra weight and length is a good idea. Im also thinking it would easier to carry in the thick woods of the southeast where I also hunt.

For any of you who have gone from a 30-06 to a 308, would you do it again? Any regrets?

Wapiti1

WKR
I wouldn't say that I went from one to the other, but own and hunt with both.

I shoot 155gr Scenar out of the .308 and they do the job just fine. Nice combination of consistent bullet and velocity. Easy to get to 2800fps with several powders in a 20" barrel. Wicked on deer, but I have not shot elk with this load. No reason that I wouldn't, just haven't taken it out west.

For the reasons you list, switching makes sense, and you aren't losing anything. My only comment is that adding a suppressor will goof up the balance of the rifle. If you are used to offhand shooting, you'll feel a big difference in how it shoulders and points.

Jeremy

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I think if you're specific bullet is at proper velocity upon impact at your max distance there should be no reason not to.

Jhy

FNG
I did since 308 ammo is far more available around me as of late. Canceled a 30.06 I had ordered and went with a 308. Happy thus far.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I wouldn't say that I went from one to the other, but own and hunt with both.

I shoot 155gr Scenar out of the .308 and they do the job just fine. Nice combination of consistent bullet and velocity. Easy to get to 2800fps with several powders in a 20" barrel. Wicked on deer, but I have not shot elk with this load. No reason that I wouldn't, just haven't taken it out west.

For the reasons you list, switching makes sense, and you aren't losing anything. My only comment is that adding a suppressor will goof up the balance of the rifle. If you are used to offhand shooting, you'll feel a big difference in how it shoulders and points.

Jeremy

Yeah I don’t think I’ll get rid of the 30-06 and will keep it around for future endeavors, I just want to try something a little lighter and more nimble, yet still capable out to my ranges.

Good point on the suppressor and balance. However, wouldn’t this be the same for any rifle with a suppressor at the end?

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I did since 308 ammo is far more available around me as of late. Canceled a 30.06 I had ordered and went with a 308. Happy thus far.

I ran up to Wally World this morning to get something random, and stopped by ammo area. I noticed they had about 10 boxes of 308 from various brands and bullet weights, about 8 boxes of 6.5 CM (match and hunting), and 4 boxes of 270. The 270 was all the same manufacturer and bullet weight.

Not that I need any 30-06, but I found it interesting that there wasn’t any around. Is it all bought up or are manufacturers not pumping out as much currently?

Gorp2007

WKR
I briefly debated it, then decided to just chop the 30-06 barrel instead. I'm shooting a Tikka, so no weight savings going to a short action plus I had all the reloading components already for 30-06 so I couldn't justify the switch.

h2so4

WKR
I have a 30-06 that is my usual go-to rifle. I picked up a 308 to shoot and practice with far more economically with readily available ammo. Both suppressed.

Dunndm

WKR
I used my dads 30-06, and I have a .308 and 6.5 CM. Of the 3, the .308 is my favorite. Then the 6.5, then 30-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Yeah I don’t think I’ll get rid of the 30-06 and will keep it around for future endeavors, I just want to try something a little lighter and more nimble, yet still capable out to my ranges.

Good point on the suppressor and balance. However, wouldn’t this be the same for any rifle with a suppressor at the end?
Yes, if you don't do something about it. Weight to balance can be added to the stock, but that brings up the total weight. It still won't handle like a properly balanced rifle ( bulk of the weight between the hands), but it will be better. Something to consider later on.

Jeremy

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Really just doubling down on all the good points above. I don't think you will be disappointed with a .308 as long as you do your part. I have a closet full of calibers and I have killed more with the .308 than any other but, granted, mainly because it's the one I carry more than any other. Hunting both elk and mule deer out west for 35 years it has never let me down. Unless when you say "bear" you mean brown I don't have any doubt that it can handle black. I've only killed 2 bears, neither with a .308, but I did kill one with a .303 British Enfield so I think the math still works out in your favor (smiley face emoji).

Good luck and good hunting!

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Unless when you say "bear" you mean brown I don't have any doubt that it can handle black. I've only killed 2 bears, neither with a .308, but I did kill one with a .303 British Enfield so I think the math still works out in your favor (smiley face emoji).!

Yes, I was referring to black bear, sorry for not clarifying in the original post.

What bullet weighs do you shoot? 150 or 165, go with the 308. 180 or heavier, 30-06 for the win!

I have 180s, 165s and 150’s. I probably favor the 165 the most.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I briefly debated it, then decided to just chop the 30-06 barrel instead. I'm shooting a Tikka, so no weight savings going to a short action plus I had all the reloading components already for 30-06 so I couldn't justify the switch.

I’ve thought about doing this as well and am not entirely opposed to it. Did you cut it back to 20” or go shorter? How do you like it? Any regrets?

fwafwow

WKR
I’ve got a 30-06 and have no problems finding ammo online, and if you keep an eye out, the prices can go down sometimes. I have no idea as to whether my prices or availability compare to 308 ammo.

Apart from ammo availability and prices, I’d think about having a shorter barrel in 30-06 as mentioned above. I’ve gone back and forth on multiple calibers but at the moment I like the streamline approach.

Let us know what you do.

Lawnboi

WKR
My opinion, you don’t need another rifle.

Once you get your suppressor chop and thread the one you have if it shoots to your liking.

Spend the money on better glass and enough ammo to become more proficient. After that you should be able to answer this question yourself.