Going full public this year, done with leasing game

I guess I am lucky that I am involved in a lease and camp with a large amount property and I don't want to give either of them up. From someone who has hunted heavily pressured land with low game populations for most of my hunting career it is just nice to know someone isn't going to walk up during prime time.

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Always been a public land hunter. Good luck in the south.
Public land hunting in Alabama is decent on the WMA land if you bow or crossbow hunt. After the few rifle hunts are over with the woods are not very crowded. Turkey season is the worst time to be on public land in central Alabama.

I've hunted public land off and on over the years. Trying my luck this season. Got some shooters on camera. We will see. My strategy has always been to walk further than I think most other folks will. Also try to hunt during the week if possible.

OP
T
I'm new to hunting and would love to learn Public Land strategy for deer. What's your plan this year? Stand/blind? Still hunt vs stalk. Alone or with some buddies? Can you drive on Public without pissing off other hunters? I have two options for buck this year where I live. I have a 40 acre private lot to myself and a public land spot that buys up to a friend's lot. His lot is too full of guys at camp. I could camp with them and venture in the Nat Forest but would need to answer the questions I just asked you. Thanks for the advice.

Good luck!
Be fluid. That's my plan. Be ready to hunt from the ground, climb a tree or spot and stalk. I shot both does picutred above from the ground. Planned on climbing a tree, got to area and realized I could see better on the ground. Found a nice tree to lean against and waited. Saw 14 deer one afternoon and 11 the next morning.

jspradley

WKR
Got my new orange ready for the TX general season opener this weekend! This will be my first rifle hunt on TX public land. Hopefully it isn't mortal kombat hunting... 130470

ORfish

Lil-Rokslider
More than once, I have seen animals bedded, leaning against a fence on the private side. They know...

Adkhntr

FNG
Congratulations, enjoy it and have fun. We switched to 100% public land in the northeast this year, and while hard work, is much more enjoyable. While we didn’t have success with any bucks this year we did learn the land a lot, and next year should do better.

derricklay23

Lil-Rokslider
This is something I’m really considering as leasing land Is getting crazy expensive anymore! Plenty of good public land out there and with new apps such as onX you can do some mobile scouting prior but still boots on the ground is the way to go imo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KW03

FNG
I did the same thing. I only hunt on public and I think it is much more satisfying for me. I hunt in a state with very little public land so the public there is, is very pressured. It makes it even more of a challenge! Good luck hope you have a great season