Going full public this year, done with leasing game

OP
T
Nasty day in the woods. On again off again rain all day, wind blowing 15-20mph. Evening sit was great, though. 14 deer seen, 6 small bucks, 7 does and fawns, one I couldn't tell. Knocked down a doe at 1700 before heavy rain hit.
And yes all 4 quarters are in that bag, but only one hoof is sticking out.

I am in 2 deer leases.

I hate being in either of them. I am only in them because its what my family wants to do. I would GLADLY give them both up. Its a ton of aggravation and headaches and arguments.

timekiller im sure we hunt similar ground. I also got sick of the constanr trespassing and atv use. Pretty much let my free “leases” pass on and besides a little land around my house I can hunt, I stay on game land in these mountains. Monday and Tuesday will find me chasing bears with a rifle.

jspradley

WKR
I am in 2 deer leases.

I hate being in either of them. I am only in them because its what my family wants to do. I would GLADLY give them both up. Its a ton of aggravation and headaches and arguments.

After reading this comment I realized I have never heard anyone say "I really love my lease!" due to all the crap they have to put up with from lease mates, which is a pretty sad reflection on us hunters as a group.

gtj96

FNG
Putting your time in and scouting are the keys to success in public land. being willing to go places others wont is a huge game changer as well

Scottyboy

WKR
I’m doing the exact opposite, private or nothing for me this year. (Not leasing...free access, to me and me alone). Public land is shit here in Minnesota and if you do venture out, make sure you wear orange for all the small game hunters as they need to be out and sunrise and sunset chasing squirrels...

I tried the public route here for the better part of 15 years but finally got tired of the sun coming up only to see someone in a tree 10 yards away, or someone walking their dog at 8am.

I’m doing the exact opposite, private or nothing for me this year. (Not leasing...free access, to me and me alone). Public land is shit here in Minnesota and if you do venture out, make sure you wear orange for all the small game hunters as they need to be out and sunrise and sunset chasing squirrels...

I tried the public route here for the better part of 15 years but finally got tired of the sun coming up only to see someone in a tree 10 yards away, or someone walking their dog at 8am.
How far from a road were you? Gotta be some public in MN that you can get deep enough to get away from that stuff.

Pepe55

FNG
Congrats, I think this is my last year leasing. Started out at $1500 a year and in 5 years it's up to $2200 for 160 acres with 45 acres of woods. Called and bitched its the same 45 acres of woods ,won't let us put in food plots, even asked farmer if we could pay him to leave a couple rows of corn standing, nope. So to hell with him, I love elk hunting better anyway so with money saved, Wild West here I come

Scottyboy

WKR
How far from a road were you? Gotta be some public in MN that you can get deep enough to get away from that stuff.

quite honestly far from the road, here, is a few hundred yards. Typically park at the designated areas and go. Sure, the northern border (Canada) you might find solitude, anywhere else...good luck.

When we find/have a place that is over 100-200 acres we are thrilled. The idea of thousands or 10’s or thousands is non existent. The orange army will ruin hunting for just about anyone other than those that are willing to argue over who shot the deer that looks like Swiss cheese

Pepe55

FNG
Bow hunted Colorado in muzzleloader season with orange army never saw a soul after a mile from the trail. Most of them drove up and down the roads on atvs and called

Scottyboy

WKR
Bow hunted Colorado in muzzleloader season with orange army never saw a soul after a mile from the trail. Most of them drove up and down the roads on atvs and called

i wish I could get a mile from the road, or be able to drive on said public lands. Again, unless you are in the nothern part of the state on the national forest ground....no go. It’s quite obvious that everyone has such a unique experience that nobody can appreciate it unless they live there or “been there done that and have the t-shirt” type scenario. Quite envious for those who can hunt public and see more game than people no matter if it’s gun or bow

Bdouble

FNG
I have been deer hunting for 20 years. I have always hunted both public and private land. I've leased land in my home state in several different counties. But I'm giving up my lease this season and going 100% public land. I'm tired of increasing prices, trespassers, uncooperative lease members and the uncertainty of whether or not you will have your lease year to year. There are 2 national forests and 9 state owned properties within 1 hour drive of me. I've hunted all of them in some,capacity over the years. I'm going to heavily focus on 3-4 of them and enjoy the extra money in my pocket and exploring new country.
I'm new to hunting and would love to learn Public Land strategy for deer. What's your plan this year? Stand/blind? Still hunt vs stalk. Alone or with some buddies? Can you drive on Public without pissing off other hunters? I have two options for buck this year where I live. I have a 40 acre private lot to myself and a public land spot that buys up to a friend's lot. His lot is too full of guys at camp. I could camp with them and venture in the Nat Forest but would need to answer the questions I just asked you. Thanks for the advice.

Good luck!