Going full public this year, done with leasing game

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle hunting or chasing pheasants I will knock on doors and ask for permission. I rarely bow hunt private land.

jspradley

WKR
Awesome public opportunities for gators and fishing....but that’s about it

Dude...if you go go the FL dept of wildlife page for "public hunting opportunities" its literally a 404 error. Cracked me up lol

Burning up in my tent tonight on a piece of elusive TX public land ready to get after it tomorrow. My new tent fan may be the best $16 I have ever spent lol

mym93

FNG
Starting the same thing this year. Family has a least that we've always hunted and it's caused nothing but fighting and headaches with "rule" changes and stand locations. I have 150,000 acres of pristine wilderness in the Allegheny National Forest 20 minutes away and I'm taking the dive. Best of luck to you!

diggerak

FNG
I have hunted same public for 20 years. Be ready for followers. If you ever figure out the escape routes your golden. Opening day was Saturday. Didn't hunt Sunday evening. Feller stop by the house and ask why I ain't hunting. Didn't tell him it was too hot and I'll wait for cooler temps this weekend. Told him a BS story about barometric pressure, deer cast results,hunters moon phase. He probably spend a hundred dollars on stuff I never look at.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Nobody but the person who does it, will truly understand the sense of satisfaction you get from a successful hunt on public land - particularly with a bow and especially in the Southeast. Of all the things I've done in the outdoors, consistently taking whitetails on heavily pressured public land in TX ranks up there with the most challenging. Folks who have private land and leases will look at those deer and go "oh, okay" and just never get it.

Lowg08

WKR
I do have 250 acres I hunt but it’s just a friends property we keep for the kids since they ain’t big enough to go real far. I made a deal with my wife I will quit leases and looking for lease land if I can go out west once a year lol.

*zap*

WKR
Nobody but the person who does it, will truly understand the sense of satisfaction you get from a successful hunt on public land - particularly with a bow and especially in the Southeast. Of all the things I've done in the outdoors, consistently taking whitetails on heavily pressured public land in TX ranks up there with the most challenging. Folks who have private land and leases will look at those deer and go "oh, okay" and just never get it.

(y)

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
Started heavily hunting public land in Pa this past year, I love being able to get out and roam and be where the animals are instead of being stuck between property lines.

Clemson

FNG
Start pouring over maps, identify access roads, buy hiking boots and learn to hunt lean (reduce weight). It's easy, be atypical and uncomfortable. Most people aren't willing to do either, much less both.

OP
T
Getting ready to spend the next 3 days hunting swampy terrain here in eastern NC. I'm a mountain boy, so the swamps always intimidate me a little. Give me a steep hill to climb any day. I've had success on this public tract in the past but I haven't hunted it in several years. We will see what happens. Low water levels this year have increased access. Last year everything was flooded out.

OP
T
Yesterday was hot and dry. Funny how things change year to year. Last year this place was almost completely under water, this year, the swamp is almost dry! Leaves were so crunchy yesterday you could hear me coming from the next state. No deer action, but saw tons of other wildlife. Light rain this morning.

First hunt of the year opening day archery in NC, Sept 7th. Hunted NW high country, public ground. Saw 6 deer total, 2 does, 2 fawns, one yearling buck and a nice full velvet 10pt. Big boy was too far. Headed back tomorrow. Wind should be perfect for a spot I scouted out during spring. Its a hike to get back to it, a little over 1.5 miles. Should be a solid spot. Tons of sign.
I am actually headed towards the western part of NC the last week of November. Much prettier out there compared to here in the east.

Pepe55

FNG
After complaining to our leasing agent he put a cap on our contract of 2%, it was 200 a year increase, whoop ie. You get nothing more for the money and they do nothing for you. Told him if it goes up much more I'm done