Going it old school

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I know going in light is all the rage these days and I've done it myself but this year I'm doing it old school. I'll be taking my Dana Designs TerraFrame K2, a Night Force TS80, Sirui TS-024SK with the VA-5 fluid head, an assortment of knives (Ingram, Havalon) and my trusty old 10x42 Swarovski Habicht binoculars. I am setting up a spike camp at the base of the mountains where I plan to hunt and will day hunt from there while my partner scouts for moose. I know this area very well as I have hunted it since around 1993 for moose, it's a draw area so not a ton of competition but there will be some. Should be a fun hunt, we're taking our Rhino's right to the base of the mountains and setting up camp, A Big Agnes Big House, cots, sleeping pads, real pillows and we might even have a beer should I get lucky and kill a ram.

We will be roughing it somewhat, eating Mountain House and drinking instant coffee but other than that it should be a comfortable camp. I actually did it this way on my last 2 sheep hunts and was successful both times. T-minus 8 days and counting.

Last edited:

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
How’s the water level on the rivers up there? I drew that tag as well and heard there’s been a bit of rain lately. Last time I drew the tag it was a wet fall and guys with Atv’s were having some issues with creek crossings. Good luck and stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I want to see a pic of you in Wranglers and a plaid shirt w/ a big old ram.
Lol..............funny you mention that, I always take a pair of old beat-up Levi's when I go to camp, if I get a nice day I just might wear them, would be cool to get them bloody.

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
How’s the water level on the rivers up there? I drew that tag as well and heard there’s been a bit of rain lately. Last time I drew the tag it was a wet fall and guys with Atv’s were having some issues with creek crossings. Good luck and stay safe!

I've got a couple buddies that live near there and one that's working on Greely next week, he's my partner on this hunt. They've been telling me that weathers been hot there with not much rain but I don't worry about rain all that much as I know where the better crossings are, I've never floated a wheeler there but I suppose there's always a chance. When are you headed in?

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a couple buddies that live near there and one that's working on Greely next week, he's my partner on this hunt. They've been telling me that weathers been hot there with not much rain but I don't worry about rain all that much as I know where the better crossings are, I've never floated a wheeler there but I suppose there's always a chance. When are you headed in?

Good to hear. My third time drawing DCUA, this one is a party tag with my wife. Her first sheep hunt. We’re flying in on the 26th.

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! This is my 3rd time as well. Good luck to you both!!

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be looking for the photo of you, the ram, and a lever action thutty-thutty - old school!
The only 30-30 I own is in another state, i'll be using a Winchester M70 in 270 on this trip. I could take my Marlin 1895 XLR in 45-70 but it's range is limited to about 125 yards.

VernAK

WKR
It's currently raining and same expected for several days. Beware of Jarvis Creek and be sure to camp high if in the Rhodes Creek area. When Rhodes floods, it's almost a flash flood situation.

Snyd

WKR
Not sure who said it was "hot' down there. Maybe in Delta/Greely But from the 14th thru the 21st it was rain (snow above 4200) raining every night, windows of nice weather in afternoons. Hadj creek was fine coming out. Sawmill was still dry. Some high drainages that were dry going in had water coming out. I'd say streams will be rising.

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
It's currently raining and same expected for several days. Beware of Jarvis Creek and be sure to camp high if in the Rhodes Creek area. When Rhodes floods, it's almost a flash flood situation.
We are headed in to the Jarvis drainage, we've been running that area for over 20 years and we have lots of experience with that creek, i'm more worried about Ober Creek, it's small but very dangerous when it gets a lot of rain. Have seen a group of about 8-10 hunters stranded on the other side of that creek before that had to be rescued by the Delta FD even though all they had to do was wait it out another day.

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure who said it was "hot' down there. Maybe in Delta/Greely But from the 14th thru the 21st it was rain (snow above 4200) raining every night, windows of nice weather in afternoons. Hadj creek was fine coming out. Sawmill was still dry. Some high drainages that were dry going in had water coming out. I'd say streams will be rising.
This was a few weeks ago, I've got a buddy that is working at Greely for a couple of weeks and that was the report he was giving me.

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt is on hold, buddy's co-worker was exposed to someone with Covid so now he has to self isolate for 10 days. Working on a plan B.

Snyd

WKR
Hunt is on hold, buddy's co-worker was exposed to someone with Covid so now he has to self isolate for 10 days. Working on a plan B.
Bummer. Hopefully plan B will kick in with drier weather to boot!