Going on first elk hunt next year

My buddy that goes elk hunting in wyoming every year has got me wanting to go. I've always wanted to but never could afford it. I've decided next year instead of this season because I am too out of shape to handle it yet, plus I still need a whole bunch of gear.

I've got everything picked out that I want for the hunt, just saving up for now and running very day to get in shape. I know I'm probably not getting an elk first trip. I know I will make mistakes and that it probably won't go according to plan. I'm fine with that, a big part of this is just being in the mountains for 2 weeks. Getting a chance at an elk or mule deer or pronghorn is just a really nice bonus. I hunt for meat so I'll be getting a cow tag to try and up my odds

What advise can yall offer a first timer? What silly mistakes could I avoid? Can anyone suggest a good blog or good books to read about this stuff? Or some good people to follow on YouTube about gear and tactics. I've seen alot of videos but I'm unsure who's worth listening to.

Go into it with an open mind. What you expect to be and what it really is can be discouraging if you don't have the right mindset. Practice with your rifle, a lot. Not from the bench, but in different positions. Pack on, pack off, standing,prone etc. A $5k rifle is junk compared to a guy who regularly practices with his $500 rifle. Elk don't care if you're wearing Sitka or Wranglers when you shoot them, don't go down that rabbit hole thinking its going to up your odds. It won't. Exercise, exercise, exercise. You can be in the best shape of your life,, but altitude is the great equalizer. Be prepared to not cover as much ground as you anticipated based off maps..
Don't over think it, its supposed to be fun. You're going to make mistakes, forget items, and screw up some really basic things. Its part of the experience.
Good luck.

OP
Rex Bellum
Thanks, I appreciate your advise. I didn't figure the elk would care about my clothes, the deer never have, lol.

Clarence

WKR
As far as information goes, Remi Waren's podcast, cutting the distance gives some solid information out on tactics. Good luck on the adventure and process. You will learn more from a week in the mountains, than you will between now and then! Enjoy the ride!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

njdoxie

WKR
Read thru the elk forum, your exact question has been answered many, many times.

Take sunscreen, saline spray for your nose and your attitude will be tested, keep positive. Spend the money on boots that fit and get them broken in but still take some tape for your feet, spend some money on clothes that keep you warm and dry or cool and dry but mostly dry. You have a huge advantage having a friend to go with, ask him what he has learned he needs to bring and what he has learned can stay home and listen to him. Good luck !

robtattoo

WKR
Few questions:
Where are you coming from?
Where in Wyoming are you going to?
What kind of hunt will you be doing? (Base camp, spike camp, day hunts from a hotel etc...)
What time of year?

A lot can differ, depending on your hunt style & location. Hunting around the red desert is going to garner information that'll be useless to you in the Wind Rivers.

robtattoo

WKR
Aside from that, the best advice I could give as another newbie elk hunter would be that if you live in a state that makes a western trip a real adventure.... for heaven's sake don't watch any hunting videos unless they're advice & education based (Newberg is hands down the best for this) Even the Meateater elk episodes can give you a really false sense of how easy it is. It's a lot harder to find them than you think.

OP
Rex Bellum
We're looking at getting a type 6 around kaycee. I am also planning on betting a an antelope and mule deer tag so that I have options. As of now we're planning on going the first 2 weeks of November, but it will depend on the season dates for next year. I'll be coming up from Oklahoma city. As far as how we will hunt, I plan on being as flexible as possible so I will bring a big enough pack to live out of if we have to but also have gear for a base camp if that works out. I'm getting the MA duce from kifaru so hopefully it will be a big enough pack.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
We're looking at getting a type 6 tag in unit 33. I am also planning on betting a an antelope and mule deer tag so that I have options. As of now we're planning on going the first 2 weeks of November, but it will depend on the season dates for next year. I'll be coming up from Oklahoma city. As far as how we will hunt, I plan on being as flexible as possible so I will bring a big enough pack to live out of if we have to but also have gear for a base camp if that works out. I'm getting the MA duce from kifaru so hopefully it will be a big enough pack.
Do you have any points built up for Wyoming? You mentioned hunting elk, deer, and antelope. You have to draw tags for each species. Also, may want to edit your post and take any unit numbers out of it. Bad idea to post unit numbers in an online searchable forum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Rex Bellum
I didn't know about posting unit numbers, I fixed it. Sorry if I pissed anyone off. The reason I picked the areas I did is because for the last several years they've had leftover tags. I'm trying to pick a place to go they I have I higher chance of Goin to every year. I know I'm probably not downing one my first year, but if I can hunt the same area enough times to really get to know it, I feel like I'll have a better chance in the long run

The reason they have lots of left over tags in those areas is there's a lot of private and not as much public. Also come November the cows will have moved off the mountains typically. Also look at what you need for a pack space wise. The mae deuce is huge and probably way bigger than you need. Good luck

njdoxie

WKR
Well, sorry I posted this then
No need to be sorry, just something to keep in mind.....every basic question has been answered innumerable times. Seriously, set aside some time and go thru all the elk threads, you'll have questions answered, that currently you don't know are questions, but will help you in the future.

OP
Rex Bellum
What size pack would recommend farmer? I picked that one because I plan to hunt for 7 or 8 days, but it would still work if I only hunt for 4 or 5. Or so I have been told

Kaycee... all ranches that are leased and outfitted. Search for BLM land for antelope and go west to the real mountains to hunt deer and elk on public land where you can actually get a license. If you’re a beginner don’t save points. Get a general license good in 50 units during bow and rifle season. I’m sure you’ll be happy with the caliber of bulls in those areas.

JoshC

FNG
My buddy that goes elk hunting in wyoming every year has got me wanting to go. I've always wanted to but never could afford it. I've decided next year instead of this season because I am too out of shape to handle it yet, plus I still need a whole bunch of gear.

I've got everything picked out that I want for the hunt, just saving up for now and running very day to get in shape. I know I'm probably not getting an elk first trip. I know I will make mistakes and that it probably won't go according to plan. I'm fine with that, a big part of this is just being in the mountains for 2 weeks. Getting a chance at an elk or mule deer or pronghorn is just a really nice bonus. I hunt for meat so I'll be getting a cow tag to try and up my odds

What advise can yall offer a first timer? What silly mistakes could I avoid? Can anyone suggest a good blog or good books to read about this stuff? Or some good people to follow on YouTube about gear and tactics. I've seen alot of videos but I'm unsure who's worth listening to.
Good luck and stay safe

OP
Rex Bellum
After looking at the units on go hunt, that was pretty much our plan. The main unit my buddy has hunted has a decent amount of blm land on it, and we're buying a cow tag to save money. Even here at home, I'm not a trophy hunter. Meat, first and foremost. I'll happily take a cow, and if I have enough saved I plan to buy an antelope and mule deer tag as well.