Going pocketless on a Reckoning

ChrisAU

WKR
Well almost...I have Sherman, and love it for 1) being able to function as a grab-it, 2) adding some external storage and organization, and 3) covering my hunter's orange requirement in CO during rifle season for my back.

BUT, I have a guide lid and 2 medium pockets I used last year...I carried some unnecessary stuff, and will be paring the list down for this year.

My gear list is pretty dialed in and I'm going to do a mock pack soon, but anyone go pocketless with a reckoning for a 6-7 day backcountry hunt? Any regrets?

prm

WKR
I had one pocket on the belt for my camera. Otherwise I use the lightweight bags for organization and place them inside the side pockets. I thought the idea of adding weight, bulk and cu/in to a pack that spends most hunting days with thousands of unused cu/in was a very bad idea.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I had one pocket on the belt for my camera. Otherwise I use the lightweight bags for organization and place them inside the side pockets. I thought the idea of adding weight, bulk and cu/in to a pack that spends most hunting days with thousands of unused cu/in was a very bad idea.

That's what I'm thinking too. The guide lid and two medium pockets is a pound of weight empty. I will have a small mystery ranch pocket on my belt with some essentials I want easy access to for hiking that I forgot to mention.

Tradchef

WKR
I just have my nalgene holder and took my guide lid and pockets and made a nice light day mode pack with my cargo panel. I use the ultralight bags inside the bag as well.

prm

WKR
I actually switched from a Reckoning to a Nomad 2 so I could shed the main bag too! Now I use a 55L dry bag when I need to haul a large volume, such as hauling camp in or out. But during the day hunting I only have the smaller bag(s) that make up the Nomad 2 which are more than enough for what I carry. Still retain the ability to haul all the meat I could carry.

Gumbo

WKR
So I run the Reckoning and use the guide lid as a pullout on the inside top of the pack for my small items. It is a little heavier than a standard pullout, but this way I can attach it to the outside if I need more room, especially when packing in with my tent, sleeping bag, and pad on the inside. I put the lid on the inside top so I can access it by simply unrolling the top of the bag and the lid's zipper is right there, I don't even have to take it out to open it and pull something out. Having the lid on the inside top also allows me access to other items in the bag by way of the main center zip without the lid getting in the way. This system has worked flawlessly for me and is super convenient.

So I run the Reckoning and use the guide lid as a pullout on the inside top of the pack for my small items. It is a little heavier than a standard pullout, but this way I can attach it to the outside if I need more room, especially when packing in with my tent, sleeping bag, and pad on the inside. I put the lid on the inside top so I can access it by simply unrolling the top of the bag and the lid's zipper is right there, I don't even have to take it out to open it and pull something out. Having the lid on the inside top also allows me access to other items in the bag by way of the main center zip without the lid getting in the way. This system has worked flawlessly for me and is super convenient.

That’s a great idea. I’d added tabs and a pals matrix to the top of my AMR to run it without a lid and use a large KU belt pouch as a lid replacement. Never crossed my mind to hang the lid inside the bag. Seems perfect to me. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I used mine with nothing but a water bottle pocket last year for a 7 day trip. It was stuffed pretty full, but I was still able to fold over the snow collar (barely). I think I’m going to get a guide lid for this year just to thin out the main bag, and hopefully, make room for some meat!

Gumbo

WKR
That’s a great idea. I’d added tabs and a pals matrix to the top of my AMR to run it without a lid and use a large KU belt pouch as a lid replacement. Never crossed my mind to hang the lid inside the bag. Seems perfect to me. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does work pretty well. I don't actually hang it in there though, I just set it on top of everything. My kill kit and less used items go in the bottom of the bag, and layers/jacket/water bottle go in the middle so I can get them quickly through the centerzip, then the lid sits on top of those. I also literally roll the top down instead of folding it. It cinches down a lot better and is less baggy for me that way.