Going to a new arrow setup

Rip TKO’s have been a major disappointment, especially considering the cost. Out of a dozen and a half (two different batches from two shops in different parts of the country) seven have broken on shots into game/at game.

I tend to look for an arrow system that works and stick with it. Tried the RIP TKO’s based on the feedback from some local buddies who had good luck with them. Ideally what I use moving forward I’ll buy a couple dozen and be set for at least a few years.

I’m deciding between three options:

1.) Tried and true Easton Axis Match grade. If I go this route I’ll use at least the Iron Will collar, if not their whole HIT system.

2.) Gold Tip Hunter Pro. I haven’t used these before, but came highly recommended from my buddy that works at a pro shop that actually does a really good job. His recommendation was to keep the nock bushing and just use a better nock (Easton deep six nocks?).

3.) Easton 4mm long range match grade. If I go this route, I’ll use the Iron Will Snyder Core system. The downside here is cost, as the shafts and components are not cheap.

I will either order the shafts from Lancaster and have them cut the arrow as I don’t have a saw, but will not have components installed. OR borrow my buddies saw so I can cut the arrows at both ends.

I am going to square both ends of the arrows regardless of which route I go.

I’d like to hear from folks who have used any/all of these, or which arrow you would recommend out of the three listed.

I’m using my recurve for the rest of my Iowa whitetail season so I have all off-season to get arrows ordered, bow tuned properly etc.

Thanks all, happy hunting!

MT257

WKR
What kinda shots were you taking on stuff when the rip tko broke?

OP
Jacob Chapman
What kinda shots were you taking on stuff when the rip tko broke?
Just shots at whitetail. One stuck thru both shoulder blades on a young doe, broke on both ends. One pass thru on a mature doe, broke when it stuck into the tree (broke at the middle part of the arrow which was strange). Follow up shot on another doe (mis-judged yardage) went into the ground and broke behind the HIT insert.

Other two breaks were at Total Archery Challenge in SD.

Missed plenty with my old Axis shafts, never had breaks the way I did with the Victory's.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If toughness and durability is your number one criteria, I'd go with the Sirius Apollo's if you didn't like the RIP TKO's. I have both, but the Victory's have been more consistently accurate over the Apollo's......but I'm pretty picky. And if you wanted to try some 4mm's I'd try their Orion's for the same reason.

wayoh22

WKR
I mean...those just sound like situations in which an arrow could potentially break. I don't think that warrants a complete arrow overhaul but I'll let that decision be made by you. What's the current setup on your RIP TKO's?

OP
Jacob Chapman
I mean...those just sound like situations in which an arrow could potentially break. I don't think that warrants a complete arrow overhaul but I'll let that decision be made by you. What's the current setup on your RIP TKO's?

I’ve lost all faith in the arrows, especially the pass thru that broke on a tree, and the misses that destroyed the arrows.

V3 32 67#@29” they are like 505 grains (50grain hit and 150 point).

wayoh22

WKR
Could try adding a collar for some extra protection. I use the RIP TKO's with 75g brass hit, 100g BH, and 25g Iron will collar. Haven't had an issue since.

wayoh22

WKR
I’ve lost all faith in the arrows, especially the pass thru that broke on a tree, and the misses that destroyed the arrows.

V3 32 67#@29” they are like 505 grains (50grain hit and 150 point).
Could try adding a collar for some extra protection. I use the RIP TKO's with 75g brass hit, 100g BH, and 25g Iron will collar. Haven't had an issue.

Last edited:
OP
Jacob Chapman
Could try adding a collar for some extra protection. I use the RIP TKO's with 75g brass hit, 100g BH, and 25g Iron will collar. Haven't had an issue.

With the ones I've lost out target shooting, i'm down to a half dozen that my buddy is going to buy from me.

I do like the idea of the IW collars, and will run them with whatever setup I go with (with the exception of the GT's of course).

mejresc2

FNG
Has anyone had trouble getting 4 blade broadheads to be accurate? I specifically had trouble with the wasp darts.

WCB

WKR
I vote Gold Tip Pro Hunters. I have shot them for two seasons and zero complaints. I shot VAPS and GT Pierces and had odd breaks like the tree one you talk about. Unless it broke from a deer running they all seemed to break where the lettering is on the shaft (4-5" below the fletching...and at times just when I'd miss a target while shooting long range.

I definitely wont say the Pro Hunters won't break but every time they have it was because I buried the arrow through/in a deer's shoulder/leg and it broke while they were running which is expected. I run them with the standard nocks and have no issues with them. By far my favorite arrow and I've shot the VAPs, Pierce Platinum, FMJs, Axis, Carbon Express Maximas, and some shitty Beaman arrow that was supposed to be their best arrow like 8 years ago.

Easton G nocks fit the bushings that come with the GT hunter pros.

I prefer to just use beiter hunter 19/2 nocks on my hunting arrows sans bushing, 12/2 nocks with bushings on target arrows. I broke several g nocks without reason.

I like the easy button and for me those are .246 shafts usually. I'd pick the GT hunter shafts, but they are probably all going to be fine choices, especially since you are planning on using the Snyder Core if you do go micro.

I too had a similar experience with the vaps, albeit with the half outs. Seemed like they'd need to be replaced way more often breaking or getting wobbly. I gave up seems like by the time you get the 4mm stout enough you are looking at 30$ + per arrow

Haven't really tried any of the other arrows so I won't comment but have you looked up black ovis for arrows? They will also cut like Lancaster but are a sponsor on here so I think with Rokslide10 code you get 10% off and they have free shipping unlike Lancaster.

Zac

WKR
Day6 is hard to beat if durability is what your after. As far as ease of components the Easton Axis is the best choice. Not a huge fan of the collars due to component stacking.

D S 319

WKR
I am currently using Easton axis long range match grade with ethics inserts. They are fairly sturdy.. I did have plenty break on me at TAC, and when I nicked a tree which worried me about integrity, but my buddy with similar setup has had no issues so I chalked it up to arrows aren’t meant to be slammed into hard stuff.

Rob5589

WKR
I've also found GT XT Hunters to be very durable. I've busted up broadheads and the arrow was not damaged using their standard aluminum insert.

WMag338

WKR
Easton Axis Match Grade 5mm here. Using an Iron Will collar and Iron will HIT insert. Been a great setup for me.