Going to Alaska

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
Just booked a hunt with Jonah Stewart. Me and my wife are going in 24 for our first retirement hunt. I am going to hunt Dall Sheep and she is going for Grizzly. Hopefully we will still be able to physically in 24. Plan on renting vehicle and driving back to Wisconsin after our hunt. Has anyone hunted with Jonah? And comment good or bad if you have would be appreciated.

I hunted with Jonah four years ago and had a great experience. Everything was very well organized and dialed. You’ll have a great time

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm am booked for sheep and grizzly in 23. He's been top notch to work with and I've yet to see anything negative anywhere about his operation. Hopefully I will have some good reports to share with you in August of 23. I can't hardly wait!

bates

WKR
heck yeah, that is awesome congrats. I have hunted with Jonah once before for sheep and i will be going back in about 8 weeks for my second dall sheep hunt

keller

WKR
I drove back and forth from wi in 2018. About 60 hrs drivetime.did in 3 1/2 days on the way up and 5 days back.it was an awesome journey I hope to do again very soon.

I know it isn't the focus of your post and will hopefully get worked out before then, but covid has caused havoc on rental car companies. I know guys now that are paying $200.00 per day and the rental companies will not guarantee that they will have a car for them...even when it's pre paid.

Sousa3819

FNG
How many hours/days back to Wisconsin do you think it well take. Its a dream of mine to drive to Alaska from MN.
Just made this drive at the end of april. It's pretty unreal. To be honest tho, it's boring as hell from MN to about Grand Prairie, AB. Did see a ton of roosters though in SK.

I was unable to do any sight seeing because of the COVID restrictions.. pretty much had to drive right through. Took me 4 days.

OP
N

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses. People that have hunted with him. Can you tell me about the terrain? Your shot distance? Anything you think I might find helpful.

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve hunted with Jonah 3 times. Fantastic outfit. The terrain is “sheep terrain” but not bad as far as mountain terrain goes. None the less, you need to be in shape. Shot my first ram at 458. Second one at 126. My sheep/goat kills have all (11) been between 75 and 460 yards.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Im booked with hime in 2023 for sheep and grizzly. Ill give a full report when the hunt is complete. That being said I call a large portion of his references and heard nothing other than completely satisfied clients.

EGBARTSTJ

FNG
Always wanted to go to Alaska then again always wanted to go hunt away from my home state. The last couple years I’ve gotten the urge to go explore new places. Alaska will definitely be in the near future.

I am going with him in 2022 and I will also provide a report. I have already started training for this hunt. Any tips previous clients are appreciated. Did anyone bring along their own spotting scope?

OP
N

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted the Brooks range once before on the North side. We do thousands of flights of steps every week. Half with pack for leg work and half without going at a faster pace for lung work . Have permission to use a local gravel pit to climb the banks and the piles of gravel. It is a lot like climbing the broken shale up there.

bates

WKR
I am going with him in 2022 and I will also provide a report. I have already started training for this hunt. Any tips previous clients are appreciated. Did anyone bring along their own spotting scope?
i took mine up to base camp but after talking with my guide I left it there. He said we didn't need 2 and if I took mine he would leave his. we both had swaro's so good to go on top quality glass.

i didn't miss having it, Jake was great and gave me lots of spotter time to phonescope and look at rams so I didn't miss having it

if it's just you solo i dont think you will need it

I have hunted the Brooks range once before on the North side. We do thousands of flights of steps every week. Half with pack for leg work and half without going at a faster pace for lung work . Have permission to use a local gravel pit to climb the banks and the piles of gravel. It is a lot like climbing the broken shale up there.
Climbing the gravel piles will definitely be a help. Hopefully they will have some steepness to them as well. Will be good to practice trying to stalk on those as well.

Jimss

WKR
Wow, $28,000 for a sheep hunt! I thought I would be able to afford a sheep hunt when I get older but never can catch up with inflation! That's a once in a lifetime type dream hunt so worth every penny though!