Going to Alaska

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like alot of money I always thought the same. But I figured the amount of money I wasted on a new bow every year and a new hunting suit etc. I downsized my grear, and just budget now and set a little aside every pay its very possible to go on a sheep hunt.

bates

WKR
wow yes prices certainly have increased

but its probably best to book now, in 5 years this hunt will probably be over $40k

OP
N

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
Y
Wow, $28,000 for a sheep hunt! I thought I would be able to afford a sheep hunt when I get older but never can catch up with inflation! That's a once in a lifetime type dream hunt so worth every penny though!
yeah crazy money! But we are getting old and can’t afford to wait any longer. Because we are both going the memories will be worth every penny. And yes the gravel piles are quite steep! We have life size sheep targets set up out to 350 yards that we shoot at when we get to the top.

Y

yeah crazy money! But we are getting old and can’t afford to wait any longer. Because we are both going the memories will be worth every penny. And yes the gravel piles are quite steep! We have life size sheep targets set up out to 350 yards that we shoot at when we get to the top.

Yep. Hunting inflation is outpacing my money for sure. I wanted to do caribou last year but my buddy who I was going to go with said, no way, I can find one cheaper. Now same outfitter is a couple grand more as that’s the going rate. I booked a sheep for about the same give or take for 2024. That’s about the rate in AK. A bit more in BC from my talks with outfitters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted with Jonah in ‘19 for sheep and I bought a bear tag and spent another 4 or 5 days in chasing a bear after I got my sheep on opening day. Top notch outfit. Jonah is dialed and I had enough time over a beer or two with almost all of the guides in base camp to say I’d be happy to hunt with any one of em. Really good group.

I’d venture to say most of jonahs sheep hunts aren’t the grind that you hear about. It’s still hunting and things don’t always go as as planned so it’s smart to be in good shape. My hunt was less physically demanding than any of my diy elk hunts.

I brought my kowa 553 spotter and a really light tripod and would do that again. While I would have gotten quite a bit of looking through the guide’s scope, it was great to not have to take turns and have a scope to look through whenever I wanted.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Holy smokes I can’t even afford a poor mans sheep hunt!

Save up, put down a deposit and it becomes easier. Or move to AK and these hunts become much more affordable. As a resident you can do hunts like this for the price of a plane ride and a hunting license. My last Agee hunt cost me 100 dollars in gas.

OP
N

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with Jonah in 2019. Absolutely great adventure, I don't have a bad thing to say about the experience. He is top notch.
Thanks for the information. What was the terrain like? I hunted the North side of the Brooks range. Pretty much the same?

Thanks for the information. What was the terrain like? I hunted the North side of the Brooks range. Pretty much the same?
The terrain was pretty easy for sheep country. I thought things would have been a little worse, but enjoyed the "easy" terrain. Only cliffed out a few times and never felt nervous traversing the rocks.

Clarktar

WKR
Just left Jonah's camp. I got an awesome ram on the first day of my hunt. He has it dialed in. Awesome trip. Could not have gone better
They got rams hanging out in bushes there? Damn! Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
N

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
Just left Jonah's camp. I got an awesome ram on the first day of my hunt. He has it dialed in. Awesome trip. Could not have gone better
Congratulations on your Ram. I would love to private message you and get some details on your hunt.