Gold Tip Pierce Platinum - Deep 6 - FACT

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Ok, back at this. After having to send my Hoyt in for some work, am shooting a different bow now: a Prime Centergy Hybrid at 76lbs and so far these seem to be flying great. I've been testing bare shafts with 70 grains of "insert" weight, as well as 90 grains. I now have my remaining 18 GT Pierce Platinums cut short with the inserts installed. I'm fletching up a couple different combos for testing and fine tuning. I'm comparing them against some 300 Spine 5mm Carbon Axis with 50 grain brass inserts and 125 grain heads.

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
I'm very interested in shooting a set up like this.

What D6 broadhead did you guys settle on, that is where I'm hung up. With the 6-40 thread and decreased diameter it seems like you need a steel furel which limits the BH selection.

Genius using the fact weights!

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
I'm finishing up bare shaft tuning and building arrows now. Then - need to dial in my sight tapes, then I'll do some broadhead testing.

So far I'm leaning towards 90 grains of insert weight, 100 grain heads, with an FOC of around 15%. I've got 492 grain arrows going 283fps right now in testing.

For broadheads I will be testing Wac 'Em 4 Blade and QAD Exodus first and using those for some broadhead tuning / testing. I am also interested in the Iron Will heads, and want to have a mechanical on hand as well which will probably be one of Rage Hypodermic, Grim Reaper Fatal Steel, NAP Killzone.

All heads are currently 100 grain because I was able to add the extra weight to the insert.

I'm currently shooting the Goldtip Platinum Pierce with the Goldtip outserts. I really like them. My arrows weigh 450. I like that you don't have to use deep 6 heads. There aren't many options and a lot are weak in my option and can snap.

The outserts have held up really well for me. Have taken some bigtime impacts and have not bent. If they do bend you can take the outsert out and replace. I can't get deep 6 inserts out once glued.

I also like the ballistic collar. Don't have mushrooming on big hits like can happen with deep 6

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
I'm currently shooting the Goldtip Platinum Pierce with the Goldtip outserts. I really like them. My arrows weigh 450. I like that you don't have to use deep 6 heads. There aren't many options and a lot are weak in my option and can snap.

The outserts have held up really well for me. Have taken some bigtime impacts and have not bent. If they do bend you can take the outsert out and replace. I can't get deep 6 inserts out once glued.

I also like the ballistic collar. Don't have mushrooming on big hits like can happen with deep 6

I've had 3 dozen of these arrows all with the Gold Tip Collar / Insert System starting last season through last week. I have two complaints about them. First - very difficult to keep the GT Collar / Insert spinning true. I had a bunch of arrows built by Jerry @ South Shore, and a bunch built myself trying to be as meticulous as possible with the same result - a high "cull" rate of points that would wobble visibly where I'd never use a broadhead on them. I think it's just much more difficult to keep them square than a standard insert.

My second complaint is that they're a pain in the A** in bag targets, which happens to be what's used at my range. They hang up pulling them out of the targets, and over time I start to damage the back of the collar, developing a "lip", pulling arrows out of the targets.

No perfect solution - but I'm the opposite of you, I don't like the GT setup until those issues can be resolved.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I tried this setup last year. I had 250 spine GT pierce platinums that I double stacked deep six hit inserts and actually used an 8D finishing nail cut to 1" (which is pretty redneck but was an easy way to add an additional 25 grains). I placed the nail thru the second insert so the head of the nail was wedged between the two inserts. My overall arrow weight was approximately 490 grains. I was super pleased with the flight characteristics. I did have to sand down the front of the deep six hit inserts to get it to fit properly. After squaring the arrow ends with a G5 squaring tool, the arrow/ broadhead combination spun true for the most part. I am a 31.5" draw length so I use an almost 30" arrow, but for the most part, 10 arrows out of the dozen I could get to spin true. The only durability issues I had were with broadheads, specifically the deep six hypodermic. I can't complain about lethality because every animal I shot with them was a quick kill, however I did break 3 ferrules at the threads. Other deep six broadheads I tried like the trocar and spitfire maxx held up fine. ( I was surprised the spitfire maxx held up better and it aluminum vs. steel) This year I went back to the 0.204 size arrows, but a part of me wants to go back to the 0.166 diameter arrows. They just fly so good and seem to hit like a truck.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Forgot to come back and update this. I'll be running these arrows out of my Prime this year, and so far they fly fantastic. I did mushroom the end of one shaft, but that was when I augered it into a pressure treated 2x4.

Broadheads will be Wac 'Em and Grim Reaper fatal steel.

Haven't had any issues with arrows and broadheads spinning true - they're as good or better than any other insert based arrows I've built and much better than the GT insert / collar setup.

The real test will be durability this season, but they've got my seal of approval so far.

Forgot to come back and update this. I'll be running these arrows out of my Prime this year, and so far they fly fantastic. I did mushroom the end of one shaft, but that was when I augered it into a pressure treated 2x4.

Broadheads will be Wac 'Em and Grim Reaper fatal steel.

Haven't had any issues with arrows and broadheads spinning true - they're as good or better than any other insert based arrows I've built and much better than the GT insert / collar setup.

The real test will be durability this season, but they've got my seal of approval so far.

I’m sure they will be plenty durable. Same setup as the carbon injections but I think Goldtip shafts are tougher even than Easton’s. Like I said earlier the only downside you will see to the deep 6 in my opinion is the lack of available broadheads and the weak point of the deep 6 heada