Gold Tip Pierce Platinum - Deep 6 - FACT

Brendan

WKR
So, I'm embarking on a little project. I'm going to be testing some of my Gold Tip Pierce Platinums, but using Deep 6 Inserts, and the Gold Tip FACT weight system.

Basically - I like the Pierce arrows. Spin true, lighter for their spine/stiffness than something like the FMJ (Which allows you to add weight to the front for higher FOC), and I have a bunch of them. But, I've had a lot of trouble with the Gold Tip insert and ballistic collar system. If I can keep the insert and collar square (which is harder than any other system I've tried) then they damage easily getting pulled out of bag targets, which is what my range uses.

Enter Deep 6. No "Outsert", fits the .166" ID arrows, and I've found out how to adapt the Gold Tip FACT weights so you can increase your point/insert weight without stacking extra inserts at the front of the arrow, which also allows you to use the much more common 100 grain Deep 6 broadheads...

My questions - has anyone else installed the Deep 6 Inserts in the Pierce Platinums? Did you have to sand or file them down? Just squeeze them in? Did you use the Easton chamfer and installation tools? Any issues getting field points and broadheads to spin perfectly true? Any durability issues?

Appreciate the advice.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Everybody likes pictures. 100 grain point, Deep 6 20 grain insert, 50 grains of FACT weights...

aa82f98ae87518a96c4cf43af21d6358.jpg

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice to see this, I also have a problem with the ballistic collars becoming untrue after a few rounds. Was looking for a good alternative. Ideally would like a steel insert. Don't Deep 6 inserts use different threads than standard?

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Hmm, Guess I will stick with standard 8/32 for a little while then. Broadheads ain't cheap

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Ok - started working on this. Had a bunch of arrows that were going to be culls because of damage to the insert. But, if I'm using the D6 insert I can go shorter, so just cut these arrows down and have them ready to do some test installs and fletching. Looks like I will need to sand down the D6 insert slightly as it's pretty darn tight.

Anyone have experience with the little chamfer tool they send you - is it really necessary? Strikes me you'd really want as much "meat" on the front of the carbon as possible... Or, are broadheads slightly convex there and you need to chamfer the inner edge of the shaft accordingly?

So, I'm embarking on a little project. I'm going to be testing some of my Gold Tip Pierce Platinums, but using Deep 6 Inserts, and the Gold Tip FACT weight system.

Basically - I like the Pierce arrows. Spin true, lighter for their spine/stiffness than something like the FMJ (Which allows you to add weight to the front for higher FOC), and I have a bunch of them. But, I've had a lot of trouble with the Gold Tip insert and ballistic collar system. If I can keep the insert and collar square (which is harder than any other system I've tried) then they damage easily getting pulled out of bag targets, which is what my range uses.

Enter Deep 6. No "Outsert", fits the .166" ID arrows, and I've found out how to adapt the Gold Tip FACT weights so you can increase your point/insert weight without stacking extra inserts at the front of the arrow, which also allows you to use the much more common 100 grain Deep 6 broadheads...

My questions - has anyone else installed the Deep 6 Inserts in the Pierce Platinums? Did you have to sand or file them down? Just squeeze them in? Did you use the Easton chamfer and installation tools? Any issues getting field points and broadheads to spin perfectly true? Any durability issues?

Appreciate the advice.

How do you adapt the GT Fact weights to the Deep Six inserts if you don't mind me asking?

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
How do you adapt the GT Fact weights to the Deep Six inserts if you don't mind me asking?

It's actually not that hard. Buy a 5-40 UNC tap and a tap handle from McMaster Carr, tap the back of the insert, then they thread right in. Just put a field point in the front of the insert before you tap the rear so you don't go too deep, but there's plenty of room. It helps to wrap the insert in a piece of rubber to protect it, secure it snug in a vice, and use a drop of oil to lubricate the tap. No reason this wouldn't work with FMJ's or other .166" ID arrows either if you can get the Deep-6 insert to fit.

McMaster Part Numbers 2522A666 & 2546A22

McMaster-Carr

Last edited:

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have played with the Plat Pierce and deep 6 inserts. I have custom brass weight up front for foc I think the total insert weight is 75 grains. They are a great shaft and I like them much more with the D6 then with the GT collar.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Tony - what was your solution for the brass weight? Full custom insert, or something similar - have a brass weight fit in the shaft behind the insert?

Also - are you following the Easton installation instructions - chamfer the inside of the shaft and install using the tool?

Last question - do you sand down the D6 insert some to get it to slide in easier? The ones I've tested are definitely a press fit in the GT shaft.

I would be all over this if the arrow was heavier. I like GT but the arrow is light even if you add 75 grains.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
I would be all over this if the arrow was heavier. I like GT but the arrow is light even if you add 75 grains.

That's why I like it. Allows you to add weight until you get where you want it - but at a higher FOC than when you start with a heavier arrow.

That said - if you want a heavier arrow to start with, just use something like the 4mm FMJ and you can still add weight to the D6 insert.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I am using a custom machined D6 insert that will unfortunately, not hit the market. It's to bad because they are exactly what many are asking for to increase FOC but business is business.
I do use the Easton tool just as I would with any D6 insert. Beveling the inside of the shaft is more for the point to be able to flush up tight than the insert installation.
I did not need to sand the inserts down for the GT Platinum Pierce. They fit as is.

Tony - what was your solution for the brass weight? Full custom insert, or something similar - have a brass weight fit in the shaft behind the insert?

Also - are you following the Easton installation instructions - chamfer the inside of the shaft and install using the tool?

Last question - do you sand down the D6 insert some to get it to slide in easier? The ones I've tested are definitely a press fit in the GT shaft.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Funny, but I've thought about what it would take to have someone prototype and then machine up a big batch of inserts for me, but it would suck to go through all that and then have Easton release the same thing or to have tolerances slightly off... At least in the short term - sticking with the FACT weights until I'm sure I like this route.

Thanks for the info!

Ok - started working on this. Had a bunch of arrows that were going to be culls because of damage to the insert. But, if I'm using the D6 insert I can go shorter, so just cut these arrows down and have them ready to do some test installs and fletching. Looks like I will need to sand down the D6 insert slightly as it's pretty darn tight.

Anyone have experience with the little chamfer tool they send you - is it really necessary? Strikes me you'd really want as much "meat" on the front of the carbon as possible... Or, are broadheads slightly convex there and you need to chamfer the inner edge of the shaft accordingly?

Yes use the chamfer tool. It allows the point to
Sit square in the shaft. If you don't chamfer it there is a little space and can cause problems.

How did you get the fact system to work with the deep six insert?

I always have just shoved two inserts into my arrows lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crunchy

Lil-Rokslider
I was using d6 in mine, switching to VAP stainless steel shok outsert. the diameter is a little off. but 95 grains is exactly what I needed

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
How did you get the fact system to work with the deep six insert?

Posted the full details in post #9 - but you just need to tap the back of the insert to the right thread pitch. You just need to be careful you secure the insert without damaging it, and keep the tap square when you start the threads.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Ok - this project is going on hold for me. I need new arrows... It turns out cutting down the 250 spine pierce that I have, installing the D6 insert, the FACT screws, is making them off the charts stiff for me and I'm getting a bad tail high reaction when shooting bare shafts that I can't tune out. (Known issue with some of the Defiants when you get to very stiff arrows). I've literally tried everything, but don't want to keep chasing my tail when every other arrow combination I have shoots great...

More to come, but not sure how long it'll be.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
I was using d6 in mine, switching to VAP stainless steel shok outsert. the diameter is a little off. but 95 grains is exactly what I needed

Are you using GT 300s or 250s? I was considering the SS Shok inserts but the OD for the 250 is just a hair too big. Wondering if I could make it work...