Golden eagle outfitters

mitschkeb

FNG
Any body flown with golden eagle for caribou out of kotzebue.
What kind of weight limits did they allow you? How did your trip go?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
Booked with them for this fall. No prior experience. Weight limit is 80lbs. Hope the corona virus does not screw up the hunt.

OP
M

mitschkeb

FNG
Booked with them for this fall. No prior experience. Weight limit is 80lbs. Hope the corona virus does not screw up the hunt.
sure hope this is past us by then if not could be a long winter for the guides and transporters relying on it. Does that include your gun and food?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
The gun and anything you will have on your flight out of the field is included in the 80lbs from what I understand as if now. Food that will be eaten, not including extra days you might not eat, won’t matter. I’m still waiting to hear directly from our pilot on that to verify it.

I really hope the virus is not a factor by then. I’m very much wanting to go on the hunt. The economic impact on Alaska without traveling hunters would be bad.

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
The gun and anything you will have on your flight out of the field is included in the 80lbs from what I understand as if now. Food that will be eaten, not including extra days you might not eat, won’t matter. I’m still waiting to hear directly from our pilot on that to verify it.

Two of us headed up for a drop off hunt with Golden Eagle from Sept 1-10. We chose to get our camp gear from Walt at Nortwestalaska Outfitters rather than bring our own. He says his setup weighs 79lbs for the 2 of us, so haven't figured out how much I am limited to yet. Hoping to keep my gear around 50lbs or less. We shall see.

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
We are going with Golden Eagle as well Sept 14-22nd. Just getting started will all of the logistics...:oops: would love find someone to share information with. This will be our first trip to Alaska and as of right now will be packing our own gear.

AKBorn

WKR
Hope all you guys get to do the hunts, and have a great time. I know that McSeal shared a great gear list previously; here is a list that I give to my hunting partners as we prep for fly-in hunts into the 40 Mile country.

I) Hunting Clothing

Wool Socks (3 pairs)
Long Underwear Bottoms (2 pair; light or medium weight)
Long Underwear Tops (2 pair; light or medium weight)
Underwear/Boxers (2 pair)
Pants (2)
Shirts (2)
Belt
Jacket
Rain Pants and Coat
Gloves (1 pair light, 1 pair heavier)
Hats (1 baseball hat, 1 warmer hat)
Balaclava
Boots (that work for hiking or sitting)
Camp Shoes (tennis shoes or crocs)
White Socks (1 pair to wear while sleeping)

II) Hunting Gear

Hunting License, Tags, Registration Forms
Hunting Regulations Book
Rifle
30-40 cartridges (to check rifle zero in Alaska)
Hard Rifle Case (for airline travel – must have padlocks)
Soft Rifle Case (for travel on bush flight)
Earplugs or Earmuffs
Barrel patches, rag, small cleaning kit
Knives (for skinning, quartering, boning)
Sleeping Bag w/ Stuff Sack (0 degree bag is about right)
Mattress Pad
Backpack capable of packing meat and antlers
Trekking Poles (if you already have them, and use them when hiking)
Space Blanket or very light Bivy Sack (to put in backpack)
2 Nylon Stuff Sacks
3-4 Pairs Rubber or Nitrile Gloves (for cleaning game)
Game Bags (total of 10 bags)
2 large unscented trash bags (to place in backpack, to pack meat back to camp)
Water Bottle (an empty 32 ounce Gatorade bottle works great)
Binoculars (8x or 10x)
Compass
Headlamp
Extra Batteries (for headlamp)

III) Camp Gear

Sleep Tent/Groundcloths
Cook Tent/Groundcloth
Lantern
2-Burner Gas Stove
Propane Canisters
Camp Chairs
Spark Tool/Fire Starter
Katadyn Gravity Camp Water Filter
Water Jugs
Blue Tarps or 9’x9’ Tyvek Sheets (for meat care and storage until pickup)
Glow Sticks (1 for each night in tent)
Tent Broom
Satellite Phone
Small Shovel/Trowel
Pocket Shears
Contractor Trash Bags (Unscented)
Cook Pan
Cook Pot
Aluminum Foil
Ziploc Bags (Gallon, Quart, Snack)
Plates
Mugs (extra 2 for dipping drinking water)
Spatula
Butterknife/Fork/Spoon
Paring Knife
Paper Towels
Toilet Paper (2 thick rolls lasted 2 guys for a 10-day hunt)

IV) Incidentals

Cash (for tips, meals)
Small Camera
Anti-Perspirant or Deodorant
Sunglasses
Small Towel/Washcloth
Q-Tips (if you use them, 2-3 per day)
Baby Powder (1.5 ounce size, if you use it)
Nail Clippers
Razors (1-2)
Shaving Cream
Toothbrush
Toothpaste (2-3 small tubes)
Leatherman
Book or Magazine (to read in the tent on a rainy day)
Small First-Aid Kit
Azithromycin
Keflex - for soft tissue that gets infected from cut/trauma
Any other medications that you take or need

V) Non-hunt Items (Clothing for flights and Anchorage/Tok travel)

Pants (1-2 pairs)
Shirts (2-3)
Socks (2-3)
Underwear/Boxers (2 pair)
Light Coat

Jkr61

FNG
Been planning on doing a trip for a caribou- Thank You! That kind of detail is awesome for a guy like me- I really appreciate that you took the time to put that up!

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I sure appreciate the gear lists as i get ready for my first caribou hunt at 72 yrs old. Now i am trying to figure how to stuff everything in my double rifle case and rolling duffel. Would love to see what you guys put your gear in to fly up commercial. I know i can leave the rifle case and travel clothes in the hangar, but the initial flights could need an elephant to stand on the luggage to get is shut.

AKBorn

WKR
I sure appreciate the gear lists as i get ready for my first caribou hunt at 72 yrs old. Now i am trying to figure how to stuff everything in my double rifle case and rolling duffel. Would love to see what you guys put your gear in to fly up commercial. I know i can leave the rifle case and travel clothes in the hangar, but the initial flights could need an elephant to stand on the luggage to get is shut.

Vern is spot on about the large luggage being taboo in bush planes. The 2 "large stuff sacks" in my gear list replace the larger suitcase or duffel I use on the commercial flights - I transfer the content into those for the bush flights. The other thing I do that might help is carry a knapsack or daypack on the plane as carry-on luggage, and put a few things in there.

If you are including your tent and sleeping bag in the rolling duffel, you're doing a hell of a job. I don't think I could make that work, I would need an extra bag on the commercial flight.

Way to get it done at 72! Based on Vern's great example, plenty of hunts left to look forward to!

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Vern is spot on about the large luggage being taboo in bush planes. The 2 "large stuff sacks" in my gear list replace the larger suitcase or duffel I use on the commercial flights - I transfer the content into those for the bush flights. The other thing I do that might help is carry a knapsack or daypack on the plane as carry-on luggage, and put a few things in there.

If you are including your tent and sleeping bag in the rolling duffel, you're doing a hell of a job. I don't think I could make that work, I would need an extra bag on the commercial flight.

Way to get it done at 72! Based on Vern's great example, plenty of hunts left to look forward to!
Large luggage is advantageous on airlines but a PIA for bush planes.
That'll work for me. Carry rolling duffel on commercial and switch to smaller gear haulers to throw on the bush plane. Do you use dry bags for the stuff sacks to keep from getting wet in camp?

AKBorn

WKR
That'll work for me. Carry rolling duffel on commercial and switch to smaller gear haulers to throw on the bush plane. Do you use dry bags for the stuff sacks to keep from getting wet in camp?

I just put a large garbage bag inside the stuff sacks, and packs the clothes and gear into that. Cheaper than dry bags, and in my experience dry bags lose some space because they have to roll the top down to close the bag.

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I just put a large garbage bag inside the stuff sacks, and packs the clothes and gear into that. Cheaper than dry bags, and in my experience dry bags lose some space because they have to roll the top down to close the bag.
Thanks, lots cheaper that way.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider

I went to Academy Sports in person and found a sports bag like they use for softball teams. It's not oversized and I can fit my frame pack plus most of my crap in it. Then I have the rifle case as you mentioned. For a drop hunt, I still need one tote checked that has our camp gear.

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I went to Academy Sports in person and found a sports bag like they use for softball teams. It's not oversized and I can fit my frame pack plus most of my crap in it. Then I have the rifle case as you mentioned. For a drop hunt, I still need one tote checked that has our camp gear.
I should be fine I am hoping since Walt will have all our gear for camp at the hangar when we get off our commercial flight in Kotz.