Golite SL3 Floor

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
After several months trying to score one, I picked up a Golite Shangri La 3 off of the classifieds here. Lately I have been taking the dog out scouting with me and have fallen in love with the space that this shelter offers, especially with a full pack and a dog. I've run floor less shelters the last few years for most of my outdoor adventures, but decided I wanted a little "comfort" with this setup so I set out to make a lightweight floor. I did a 4" deep bathtub style floor with some small gussets based around a section of 1/4" poly tubing. The fabric is from ThruHiker, and it's their 1.1oz silnylon that I just happened to have laying around. I reinforced a 6"x6" square in the middle with some 210mini diamond ripstop for the pole to rest on. Finished dimensions are a spacious 58" x 96", and the weight is only 8.75oz including the shock cord hardware, putting my entire shelter with pole, stakes, and floor at well under 3 pounds still. I added some little hooks to the shock cord tensioners, so I simply hook it to the small section of cord on the tent stakes, and then tension via the small push lock on the shock cord. Really pleased with this setup as it gives me somewhere clean/dry to spread out my gear. It also could easily fit two full-size pads, and also allows me a little dirt corner of the shelter to fire up the stove and prep coffee in the morning without getting out of my bag, or store muddy boots and such...

21142241710_64472858c1_c.jpg

21338554831_8049765d6d_c.jpg

Manosteel

WKR
Great job. one question thou, why didn't you make the flow octagon shape and use the existing main guy out points as corner areas? Similar to the existing inner net without the bulk?

OP
U

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
A couple reasons I did what I did, one; I simply didn't need the space of the full hexagon floor footprint, plus I like the idea of having some dirt floor for wet boots. By keeping it rectangle, I essentially created two small vestibules. Had I done a hexagon, I would have also had to create a seam across the middle of the floor, as 62"-64" is about the widest you can find fabric in. This floor is made from one solid piece of fabric that was 63" wide by 9' long.
This floor does use the same guy out points/stakes as the shelter itself. The small gussets of the floor have a section of shock cord that stretch and clip to four of the tent stakes that are holding the fly.