Golite SL5 and trekking poles

freshta

WKR
Anyone use their trekking poles as the center pole of an SL5? If so, what kind of mods did you have to do to them? If I could find a 14mm OD aluminum tube about 18” long I’d be in business. But so far it’s been nothing but frustration.

CM

WKR
I have an SL5, I picked up a Black Diamond Pole Link Converter, and use it to link two trekking poles together. I don't think they sell the Pole Link Converter anymore, and I'm not sure why it's the best thing I have found for doing this.

It looks like SeekOutside does something similar but I haven't used it so I can't comment on how well it works https://seekoutside.com/trekking-pole-hitch/

You can also look at having Ruta Locura make you a custom carbon fiber pole. They seem fairly reasonably priced and are just a few ounces. Then you can keep your trekking poles available if you are hunting from camp. http://www.rutalocura.com/Tent_Poles.html

bullmoose

FNG
I have used a "trekking pole jack (extension)" from bearpaw wilderness designs. It is a short section of carbon fiber tube that you would use along with one trekking pole. I forget the length of carbon fiber extension that I bought for my SL5, but I think it was around 16".

This is a good option for me because it only uses one trekking pole for tent setup and I can still use my second pole for daily use while the tent is up.

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what brand of poles you're using, but on my SL3 I simply ordered a replacement lower section of the pole from Black Diamond for my Alpine Carbons poles. I then just cut the lower few inches off, and simply roll it up with my shelter and stakes. When setting up I pull the lower portion of each pole out and replace it with this section. I then have a handle at the peak and a handle at the ground. At maximum extension in my SL3 it is super sturdy and has no flex. It was $14.
Black Diamond Parts

superA

WKR

Ronb

WKR
Duck tape works until it gets hot. We ended up using a couple zipties to cinch the poles together. Then a piece of para cord looped on each end to go around the pegs. Keeps them for shortening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk