Golite SL5 weight

BuckSnort

WKR
Can someone tell me the weight on just the flysheet and pole?... The golite site seems to just list the entire sysyem and not individual weights... Thanks

muleman

WKR
My SL-5 with 32' of guyline weights 2# 0.9 oz. The pole weighs 12.3 oz.

It looks like GoLITE's weights are pretty accurate for the Shangri-La 5.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
GoLite SL-5 flysheet is 29 oz before adding guylines and seam sealing. The Sl-5 center pole that comes with it is 12 oz. Then you gotta add stakes to that weight as well.

The GoLite Sl-3 flysheet is 25 oz before adding guylines and seam sealing, center pole is is 8-9 oz.

Hope that helps.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Helps a bunch, thanks fella's..

You guys probably remember me debating buying the sl3 or sl5 months ago... I ended up with the sl3, I really like it and think it's gonna make a great solo shelter but also thinking about getting an sl5 for hunting w/ a partner and or using a stove..

7mag.

WKR
I got the SL3 this year, and so far I love it. It is a palace for a solo shelter. Very fast to set up and take down as well. I think I may get the SL5 next year, for hunting with a partner or 2.

sk1

WKR
Helps a bunch, thanks fella's..

You guys probably remember me debating buying the sl3 or sl5 months ago... I ended up with the sl3, I really like it and think it's gonna make a great solo shelter but also thinking about getting an sl5 for hunting w/ a partner and or using a stove..

have you considered the megatarp with a stove? thing looks to be plenty big for a partner, gear, and stove.....and comes stove ready when you purchase the annex. I would just think the time you buy the SL5 and get it fitted for a stove your cost will be close to the megatarp. I can't comment on the megatarp from experience, but that's what ive decided on and will be ordering in a couple months! I just sold my SL3, the megatarp is about the same weight (if just taking the sl3 fly), a bit huge for one person but will get the job done solo or with a partner

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The megatarp with an annex will run ya $500+ and easily be the same weight as the SL-5. The SL-5 plus buying a stove jack will be about $350. I have both and really like both, but for camping with my wife the SL-5 is better as we share our pads and sleep together in sleep together bags inside a 2 person nest to get out of the bugs, the megatarp isn't exactly conducive to nests. But for going with another buddy the annex/stove/megatarp combo will be pretty tough to beat. Probably end up putting a stove jack in another SL-5 once they go for sale again on GoLite.com again sometime next year.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Ditto what Luke said.. I can be into a SL5 with stove for less than the price of just the Megatarp and annex...

sk1

WKR
Could sell the sl3 and use that money and what you were going to spend on an sl5 and have a few extra bucks left over :p

I can see reasons to go with the SL tents, was just a thought

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
sk1... I appreciate you're input... One thing is certain shelters/tents have come a long ways and are incredibly lightweight compared to the stuff I used to use 10 years ago...

JG358

WKR
Probably end up putting a stove jack in another SL-5 once they go for sale again on GoLite.com again sometime next year.

I'm planning on doing the same thing. Be a pretty versatile shelter with the stove and 2 person nest, or just the fly when bugs aren't out in force. I like the option of using the Full nest on summer trips with the kids.

Last edited:

Foldem

WKR
Love my SL5 with a Kifaru stove.

101_3600_zps585c6b95.jpg

101_3596_zpsa3032762.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Very cool looking setup foldem. I just gotta get my buddy to sew a stove jack into mine now and I'll be ready to rock for sure. You reading this R Miller? :D

sk1

WKR
man i dont trust myself with a stove that close to my side lol......ill roll into that sucker somehow. or maybe that pic just looks like its closer than it actually is

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
man i dont trust myself with a stove that close to my side lol......ill roll into that sucker somehow. or maybe that pic just looks like its closer than it actually is

My guess is that they don't run the stove all night...just while sitting around in the evening, and in the morning to take the chill off so no risk of ruining your sleep set up by rolling into the stove in the night. The backpacking stoves are awesome, but they burn smaller pieces and wood and just don't hold the heat to keep a fire going overnight the way a larger stove might.

JG358

WKR
Ditto what Luke said.. I can be into a SL5 with stove for less than the price of just the Megatarp and annex...

Just weighed my buddies SL5 3lbs 14oz.... My mega w/annex is almost a pound lighter. His is the prolite gear version that is made with a thicker/more durable material so it's a bit heavier than the standard golite SL5.