GoLite!

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Just placed an order for the Shingra La 3 to replace our 8# Kelty tent and my MYOG tarp/bivy set up. Should get plenty of use when going with my wife or alone and will provide flexibility during mosquito season. Price was just too good to pass up.

OP
D

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
By any chance have you weighed the components to see if they run heavy/light vs. the specs?

swat8888

WKR
I just got the SL5...weight was dead on for the flysheet, pole, and stakes....to include the stuff sack for the tent and the stakes. I think it was actually just a shade under the advertised weight.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
After you seam seal and tie on the the guyout lines you'll be a bit more. But be tough to be a shelter/protection the SL series provide given their weight.

OP
D

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Got mine in the mail today after less than 48h and set it up in the yard. My wife noted how much more room there was, how easy it was to pitch and sturdy vs. our kelty 3p tent. Even though it is relatively heavy we'll carry the nest during the summer, then when it cools down swap it out for a much lighter/smaller ground cloth. Stuff sack seemed oversized and without the vents it would stuff much smaller. At $200 theres nothing to complain about.

Weights in oz:
2.4 Stakes
.2 Stake bag
11.1 Pole
23.8 Fly
34 Nest/Floor
Total = 72.9oz = 4lb 8.9 oz
Total for fly, pole, tyvek groundcloth and stakes = 2ln 11oz

Is the shangri la 2 considered a 2 or 3 season setup. I was on their website and the prices are hard to beat! What do you that have them recommend for a ground cloth?

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the SL5 also. Struggling with getting a good pitch that is close to the ground. Anybody have some pointers? And Luke, you seam seal the SL5? I thought it was sealed and taped? To be honest, I was a little unhappy with my inability to get it tight on the ground. Seems like the guy outs are too long. This is my first floorless shelter so I am probably just not getting the concept.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I just got the SL5 also. Struggling with getting a good pitch that is close to the ground. Anybody have some pointers? And Luke, you seam seal the SL5? I thought it was sealed and taped? To be honest, I was a little unhappy with my inability to get it tight on the ground. Seems like the guy outs are too long. This is my first floorless shelter so I am probably just not getting the concept.

Yep I seam sealed all my GoLite tents now. They claim to have a "special thread" that swells in the rain. Well I found a seam or two lacking that proper "swell" I guess in the rain so I seam sealed them. A full ground tight pitch can be had if you initailly stake out with the guyouts sucked in all the way and also guy out the midpoints along the bottom as well. I prefer a gap myself to help with condensation relief and haven't had much of an issue with condensation even in extremely wet/humid weather because of this, but to each their own.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just seemed like on a windy 10* night, the closer to the ground the better. But I have always used regular tents or large canvas tents. I have been considering sending the SL5 back and ordering a BCS as that was my first choice, but with the Golite sale and having never used floorless, I figured this would be a good start.

B

bearguide

i have always needed the ventilation, so i pitch it high on purpose