Gonna burn my CO Antelope Points....Unit 87 or 88???

Which would you choose and why?

We have 6 points and 87 or 88 are the best units we can draw next year.

Any helpful thoughts about the two units would be greatly appreciated. I will not be able to make a trip out to scout because I will be going to Africa in July for 2 week (assuming the COVID Nazi's have not shut everything down for travel to/from Africa) but will be there a couple days early and will hunt all 9 days if need be. I expect it to be an absolute zoo on public land for at least the first weekend. Hoping it settles down a little during the week after that.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to roll that way. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
TERMINATOR
There are much, much better units than 87/88

Keep looking... you'll find em
I know of several better units. But nothing I can draw and hunt public land with 6 points.

If you know of one I am all ears.

3 was 9/10 points last year
6 was 15/16 points last year
11 was 15/16 points last year.

All are better units....that I am 5-10 years away from drawing assuming that there is no point creep

But feel free to PM me some suggestions

OP
TERMINATOR
When/if you find it, don’t be like all the YouTube/Podcast cowboys and advertise it.
No worries there.

I like to fly under the radar. Which is why I opened up saying PM me if that's how people want to roll.

I respect any information people share with me

Both units are good. The dry weather in Colorado this past year made for tough hunting. Did not see many antelope in the area last fall as in previous years.

Which would you choose and why?

We have 6 points and 87 or 88 are the best units we can draw next year.

Any helpful thoughts about the two units would be greatly appreciated. I will not be able to make a trip out to scout because I will be going to Africa in July for 2 week (assuming the COVID Nazi's have not shut everything down for travel to/from Africa) but will be there a couple days early and will hunt all 9 days if need be. I expect it to be an absolute zoo on public land for at least the first weekend. Hoping it settles down a little during the week after that.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to roll that way. Any help will be appreciated.
I have 4 points, looks like I may have a draw chance in 87 or 88 this year...been really waiting this one out, as I live in Greeley and it will be the closest to home hunt and first decent prong buck hunt I have had since moving to CO 6 years ago. Both units have appx the same amount of public land, but 88 has less hunters. I will be scouting a ton since I live so close, but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

PM if you would like to share, thanks in advance folks!

WKR
I was very disappointed in 3 a couple of years back. Amazing amount of truck hunters and seemed like a permits issued for the points. Son got a good one but I'll burn my points elsewhere. Wondering how that unit will fair this winter.

Off topic but just my thoughts on 3 after seeing it mentioned.

OP
TERMINATOR
I was very disappointed in 3 a couple of years back. Amazing amount of truck hunters and seemed like a permits issued for the points. Son got a good one but I'll burn my points elsewhere. Wondering how that unit will fair this winter.

Off topic but just my thoughts on 3 after seeing it mentioned.
I think 3 is overrated for Pronghorn for the amount of points it takes to draw it

OP
TERMINATOR
I have 4 points, looks like I may have a draw chance in 87 or 88 this year...been really waiting this one out, as I live in Greeley and it will be the closest to home hunt and first decent prong buck hunt I have had since moving to CO 6 years ago. Both units have appx the same amount of public land, but 88 has less hunters. I will be scouting a ton since I live so close, but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

PM if you would like to share, thanks in advance folks!
I can't help you with info about those units hunting wise as I ended up hunting a different unit.
But I can tell you that last year, with 4 points you were 21% chance to draw Unit 87 and 31% to draw Unit 88. It took 5 points to be 100% draw. Those are the odds you are looking at if there is no point creep...which there probably will be, but who knows. All I know is the odds of drawing will probably not go down so best case you are looking at 21% and 31% to draw.

Have you considered Muzzleloader hunting? That gives you many more units to hunt with 4 points and is 100% in those units. Plus you hunt before the rifle guys.

I had 4 points last year and didn't draw 88. Trying again this year with 5, about to punch the button. With the number of pronghorn dying this winter in the northwest corner and up in Wyoming it will be interesting to see what point creep is gonna do.