Gonna do it all wrong this year

Rickt300

FNG
Going to run my 260 Remington with 100 grain Nosler Partitions at around 3300 fps. Hogs and deer. Only downside I can see is it might be a bit loud.

robtattoo

WKR
I ran 100gn Amaxes in my Swede at 3330 for varmints. Never took a pig with one, but they killed deer deader'n a wedge, real quick.
It looked like a lung grenade.....

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
R

Rickt300

FNG
I was thinking about using the 95 gr. VMax as a bullet to have loaded along with the Partitions so as to have a varmint and a bigger game bullet that hopefully would hit near the same POI. My 260 puts a lot of different bullets very close together. I just haven't ordered any of the 95's yet though the 100 gr. ELDM would be just as good.

260madman

WKR
I’ve used the 100gr partitions on deer at the above velocities. They work. Close range on the point of a shoulder could be a bit messy ;).

• Banned
OP
R

Rickt300

FNG
I found some of your posts on 24 Hr campfire and they are why I decided to use that bullet. Saying I am doing it all wrong is just taking a poke at all the long skinny bullet hustlers. Since the 70's I have used heavy for caliber bullets at velocities usually around 2700 to 2900 fps and I figure before I can't hunt anymore I ought to try something different. I probably won't try to hit deer right in the shoulders but feral hogs are a different story. I have them hitting my hog toys right now, my Partitions are supposed to be here tomorrow and I may hunt all night Monday and Tuesday.

• Banned
OP
R

Rickt300

FNG
85 grains seems pretty light. I used the 150 gr. Speer Hotcor and the 150 gr. Partitons out of my 270 for half of the elk I killed in Wyoming. The only monometal experience I had on elk was with a 225 gr. Barnes X bullet from a 338. That was a long time ago and that bullet didn't expand for me causing an epic recovery issue. My back is still killing me over that one. That elk made it to the next mountain back in and across a big creek right when a blizzard hit. I still harbor some ill feelings toward Barnes but I am slowly getting over it. That happened in 1991 I think.

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
Isn't it funny that 85gn for deer out of a .264 is light, but out of a .243 it's great & out of a .223 it's awesome?!

I probably wouldn't chase elk with it, but pigs & deer, absolutely.

260madman

WKR
I found some of your posts on 24 Hr campfire and they are why I decided to use that bullet. Saying I am doing it all wrong is just taking a poke at all the long skinny bullet hustlers. Since the 70's I have used heavy for caliber bullets at velocities usually around 2700 to 2900 fps and I figure before I can't hunt anymore I ought to try something different. I probably won't try to hit deer right in the shoulders but feral hogs are a different story. I have them hitting my hog toys right now, my Partitions are supposed to be here tomorrow and I may hunt all night Monday and Tuesday.

I had some gruesome pics of a 100gr NBT out on a few various sites. Broke both shoulders at close range though.

OP
R

Rickt300

FNG
Yeah I saw those, figured the Partition would not be quit as nasty.

OP
R

Rickt300

FNG
And all is good from the start. I loaded 5 with 40 grs. of I4895 popped with a CCI 250 magnum primer under the little Partition seated with the base of the bullet even with the case neck shoulder junction. First shot was three inches high so 8 clicks down and the next two hit within an inch of each other and the fourth made a nice triangle. The last one I ran through the obligatory jug test. I set up four jugs at my usual 100 yards and fired aiming just under the top edge of the label. The first jug actually lost a large chunk of jug including the handle, the bullet went into the second jug expanded and blew out the back of it impressively, The third jug got the expanded partition still with enough energy to split it and the fourth jug was penetrated fully with no bullet recovered. Plenty of destruction and penetration. I upped the charge to 41 grains and it too was also accurate putting 5 in an inch. I expect I am getting somewhere around 3200 fps but will chrony tomorrow.

OP
R

Rickt300

FNG
I used I4895 because it was handy, will soon test BLC2 and I4350 to see what is easiest to get top velocity with. I think I will accept 3200 fps as long as I keep getting the current level of accuracy.

slvrslngr

WKR
Going to run my 260 Remington with 100 grain Nosler Partitions at around 3300 fps. Hogs and deer. Only downside I can see is it might be a bit loud.

C'mon man, everyone knows those Partitions will just bounce off, especially out of a 260. Ya gotta shoot some long, skinny bullets from a Creed to kill anything. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

260madman

WKR
Tell me about it. My 5 260s are obsolete so I bought the new fangled 6.5Jesus in a chassis rifle. I killed an 8pt buck with a 19” spread with it and it didn’t kill any better than my 260s. What a waste of money. Everybody said it was so much better. 😉

OP
R

Rickt300

FNG
Ya know I put this rifle together expressly so I could say I never owned a Creedmoor!

OP
R

Rickt300

FNG
Plus I had all this 243 and 7-08 brass laying around that I could easily turn int o 260 brass. I will say that there is a lot more load data out there for the Creedmoor but is teems to me the case capacities are so close that data is interchangeable between the two cartridges. Might be able to add a grain over the Creed data for the 260, not sure though.

OP
R

Rickt300

FNG
So I fell into load development. I wanted to get as high a velocity as possible using powders I had on hand. The I4895 load of 41.0 grains gave 3160 fps and primers looked as far as I wanted to go with that powder. So I worked up from 41.0 grs. to 43.0 grs of BLC2 getting nicer looking primers and even better accuracy. 43.0 grains of BLC2 in Winchester brass gives slightly over 3200 fps out of my 24 inch barrel. I decided good enough because to beat it with I4350 I would have to add 4.5 grains more powder and it might not shoot as good. So now I need a fat hog to test it on. By the way a piece of PPU 243 brass I had resized into 260 sneaked into my load ladder and it must not have as much powder room because that one gave sticky extraction.

260madman

WKR
IMR 4064 is really the powder to use for 100gr bullets but I understand where you’re at using what you have on hand. I think Seafire over on the fire has used BL-C2 and didn't have the best results with it.

When you’re ready for reduced loads hit me up. I have Seafire’s data. It works well.

robtattoo

WKR
My case capacity is a little greater with the Swede, but IMR7828SSC gave me my best velocity & accuracy across the board from 100gn right through 160s
If you have some on hand, it might be worth a shot.